Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 322 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
    A
    A
    ahh!! Lmom is brilliant smile I only submitted test scores so I think she's onto something!!

OP Offline
    Yes, we did submit a portfolio too! Along with qualifying IQ scores. You have just given me a little space to breathe again. Thanks!

W
    W
    Portfolio for us as well. I was also starting to think that maybe they only send out announcement emails on Friday? Made me feel a bit better. Still checking the email obsessively though...

A
    A
    Could be true about fridays. I got my email on a friday at the very end of the business day (EST) The time on the email was 4:59 so I remember thinking how it was in the last possible minutes before the weekend. It was just after I saw Lmom post she got an email so I checked a last time.

Hang in there!!

Hey Everyone.

Okay. I just got my e-mail. And it's not terrible but it's not what we were hoping for. They didn't deny us but they are asking for more information. Does anyone have any advice? We submitted The Wisc IV IQ test in which he qualifies (but it was just 2 years ago) and then a portfolio. This is what they are also asking:

The review committee would greatly appreciate additional information in the form of updated testing OR additional work samples in Jake�s areas of strength.

Please see below for more information:

Testing: You may submit at least one recent achievement or talent search/college placement test listed on the first website found below to assist the review committee in making a final determination regarding the application. The committee would prefer an individually administered achievement test; however, we understand this may not be feasible for every family and will accept one of the group administered talent search or college placement tests. Please see the links below for more information:

Qualification Criteria (for a list of the tests accepted for application to the Young Scholars program)

www.davidsonyoungscholars.org

Article - A Place to Start: Is My Child Gifted? (for testing information)

www.davidsongifted.org/db/APlaceToStart

Work samples: You may submit additional work samples to supplement any portfolio items you�ve already submitted. In order for the Review Committee to best assess your child�s abilities, please submit a portfolio of at least three pieces of the applicant�s work that best demonstrate his/her advanced abilities in academic areas. Independent work that is completed without the assistance of teachers or parents and is 2 to 3 grade levels above age peers is preferred. Some of the most informative samples have included intellectual activities the applicant has completed just for fun and completely on their own, such as math �doodles,� creative writing, or autonomous projects. Based on Jake�s application and areas of interest, you may wish to submit samples of math work that shows the steps he�s followed in problem-solving, or a DVD/CD recording in which he could discuss one of his interests, such as a science-related topic. In order for the portfolio items to be viewed in the context in which they were completed, please briefly describe each item, including the applicant�s age and grade level at the time of completion, as well as the circumstances of the work (i.e. if it was completed independently or as part of a school project, how many times the work was revised, how and why the applicant completed this particular piece of work, etc.).

Please submit these items within 1 year of the date of this email. Information submitted later than one year may require portions or the entire application to be updated.

Can anyone tell me the best way to go about this? I think testing would be better but if so which tests - especially with the limited dates and money being an issue. Also, can anyone give me examples of portfolio items that are 2-3 grades above their level - my DS is 9. Thanks so much and at least the waiting is over smile.

Jules

W
    W
    We're still waiting... sigh...

As for your application, they suggested we send in a tape of Wolf doing out there things, although I think their phrasing was nicer. What have you already sent it, portfolio-wise?

I had ABSOLUTELY no idea what they wanted and it's been harder since he is 9 and he is so involved with other things I didn't have much else to send in as I threw away much of his stuff from when he was younger. We did submit a space game he made in 2nd grade in which he researched EVERYTHING and created it all himself, an imaginative and humorous power point where he used his own "language" and a story that he wrote in 1st grade that had quite extensive vocabulary. We also told them about a diorama that he made when he was three in which he created all these habitats and explained EVERY dinosaur, their origin, habitats, and anything else you could think of about dinosaurs (but who has that on videotape?? He's more into math, science, and chess but I couldn't come up with any expamles. What about you? And I hope you hear something today and that it's positive. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you. Also, we only had one set of test scores where he had a GAI of 146 from the WISC IV test so I guess the portfolio would have been important. Good luck.

Jules

OP Offline
    Ok, well we got our email today. I was thinking that it would either be a "YES" or a "NO" or a "go get Achievement testing".

What we got was a "please submit a few more work samples". So, I am also now in the same boat as Jules, and will be capturing DD5 discussing her passions (Ancient Eqypt and the Creation of the Universe)on video as well as sending in more of her original poetry. They asked for more samples from her academic classes, so I will also send in assignemnts and worksheets that she is working on for her 3rd grade language and math classes.

I really hope that will be enough. Alot of stuff in her original portfolio was from when she was 3 and 4, and I get the feeling from the tone of the letter that they want more current stuff.

We only submitted her WPPSI scores

Verbal 143/99.8%
    Performance 155/>99.9%
    Processing Speed 125/95
    Full 150/>99.9%
    Prorated Full (w/o Processing Speed) 154/>99.9%

So, I guess I will spend the next week or two gathering the specifics they are asking for. And, yes....I do think they want the "outlier" stuff...the stuff that we as parents tend to keep to ourselves because it is just "too out there". :-)

Jewels

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    It does seem that they want that more recent stuff.

Jewels, how old is your DD and when was she tested? You might also want to have the camera ready at all times in case she is on to something...

W
    W
    We never received an email, but I got a letter in the mail today. They told us he wasn't accepted and that we could reapply in six months. That was it. Didn't say why, didn't say anything about the portfolio, nothing. Due to our financial situation we submitted just a portfolio since they said that was an option for people who couldn't afford testing. I sent an email asking for some kind of information. I have no idea what else to submit if what we submitted wasn't good enough.

So we can't afford testing and the portfolio wasn't enough. Now what? I'm 99.9% certain he qualifies. We submitted a 1000 page novel he wrote for NaNoWriMo that a college English teacher said was better than many of the papers she got in her classes. Everything else was at least 2 grade levels above his age, most of it was 4+ levels above his age. We submitted work samples, like what he turns in for class, and a video of him with the other ISP kids almost all of whom are at least 5 years older than him and treat him as an equal. It also showed him playing chess and battleship with his dad and talking about some of his passions and showing off his Sudoku puzzles. It all sounds like what other people have submitted.

He's already had one grade skip and still isn't even close grade wise to where he is academically. He has no real peers (our main reason for submitting).

I'm just really confused and annoyed right now. I was expecting "we need more info" not a "no". I just don't understand how what we submitted is a no...

Any suggestions of what to do now?

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM