Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #70697 03/08/10 12:33 AM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum but have found many of the post informative and inspirational. I've taught in public and private schools and have recently started an online learning program, which was initially a continuation of my hybrid "brick and mortar"/virtual tutoring program.

I'm interested in hearing feedback on the ideal online learning program. So far, here's what I've incorporated into my courses:

1. A teacher leads/facilitates each course and meets with students twice weekly for chat sessions/workshops. Teachers are available via telephone and email.

2. Students receive an initial assessment and are allowed to progress/accelerate at an individual pace. Mastery is set at 90%. Students also take frequent quizzes as well as a final exam.

3. Parents receive monthly progress reports and are immediately notified if the student falls behind (3 days of no activity in the course room).

4. Individual tutoring is available through Smarthinking.com

5. Courses offer a variety of multimedia resources and interactive games.

6. Open/rolling enrollment.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, advice, etc. regarding what makes an ideal online learning environment for gifted students.

Thanks!

Daa'iyah Na'im
    Director/Head of School
    The AGVI Academy for Gifted Youth
    http://AGVIgifted.org
    F
    F
    One thing I find lacking in many online programs is the ability to print out the lessons and quizzes.

For some reason my DD performs better on pencil & paper.
    She needs the option to print out the tests and enter her answers, to show her true skills.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks, Gifted Mom. I tried searching, but didn't find anything.

Floridama, I definitely understand the need for an option to print worksheets/exams. Waterford has a program (Rusty & Rosy) that allows students to print worksheets after each lesson.

Thanks for your input!

Daa'iyah Na'im
    Director/Head of School
    O
    O
    My kids and I tend to like things done graphically well.

https://secure.brainpop.com/
    This has very nice graphics.
    My kids have not been interested in this website and I'm not sure why. I like how they incorporate movies. I also like how there are many options to encourage more learning within subjects.

http://www.mathletics.com/
    This is a competitive way of learning. My DS9 loved this.

http://www.oldtrail.org/libraryclassresearch.htm.
    this is a lost of Path finders, leads to sources of information for research and learning.

My son did an online course thru Northwestern university and found the class chat to be a good learing experience.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck

Last edited by onthegomom; 03/08/10 08:00 AM.
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks, onthegomom!

I've been using Brainpop for years and just introduced Mathletics to the students. Old Trail looks very interesting, so I'll be sure to check it out. Your info has definitely been helpful.

We currently have chat, but I've been looking into a virtual world chat environment (like Sims) where students can take quizzes, complete assignments and interact with instructors and peers.

BTW...If you like Brainpop and Mathletics, you should look into Gizmos and Adaptive Curriculum.

http://www.explorelearning.com/

http://www.adaptivecurriculum.com/us/

Daa'iyah Na'im
    Director/Head of School
    My DS uses www.superchargedscience.com as part of his curriculum. They use teleseminars along with viedeos for many of the units. It has worked well for us and is something to consider failing having access to full live access. Some of the video conferencing software could probably be adapted to a classroom setting. The other thing I like about this program is the speed with which they respond to e-mailed questions as it's important to get an answer while the child is still interested in the subject.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks, BWBShari. Supercharged Science looks like a great program. I especially like that Aurora meets with students in a live session. I wonder if synchronized meetings are more beneficial for elementary or high school students. Although online learning is geared to cater to different schedules/lifestyles, it seems learning would be better facilitated with increase student/peer/teacher interaction.

Daa'iyah Na'im
    Director/Head of School
    This is a very interesting thread. One of my dsisters has a Masters in Math and accreditation in teaching, and has started tutoring in her small town. She and my other sisters are all checking out skype, and this seems like a great *free*/somewhat low-tech way to interact with a student and other folks. With webcam in place you can talk and see someone for free. I was freaked the first time I checked it out - finally part of the future has arrived!!

We were talking about her tutoring my ds9 in math (just fun projects) as I want him to enjoy math and for now there is not much challenge in math, and only a little enjoyment when something is a bit new/hard for him, so Skype seemed like a good way to do this.

I will forward this thread to her, however, I think she would be interested in the listed resources. thanks!

C
    C
    Most recently, we've used Stanford's EPGY math online. We are, however, using it through a homeschool group formed on this website, so we do not have access to the tutor feature that you get when you sign up as an individual. The cost savings is so substantial that we were happy to make that trade off, though.

What dd has liked about it are the audio lectures, although she does "mute" the voice at times when he is interfering with her thought processes. I do think that the flash player lectures that pop up are very useful and it has a good methodical method for introducing concepts.

We currently have chat, but I've been looking into a virtual world chat environment (like Sims) where students can take quizzes, complete assignments and interact with instructors and peers.
    This sounds like something that we would find appealing. I like the concept of being able to form a virtual community for homeschooled gifted kids. Having access limited to enrolled students would also provide some degree of safety for the children.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Accreditation is important to me at the high school level in case we wanted to go for the HS diploma through the district.

We haven't done online courses this year, but we always had software troubles--so another thing that's important to me would be bug-free software. I don't ever want to talk to tech services even once during the course!

Another thing that's important to me is that the entire course is ready to go at the beginning--no waiting for lessons, links, or videos to be uploaded.

Tutors/teachers that respond to student questions/emails in a timely manner (we'd wait weeks to get a response or grade back).

I really like the online community of AoPS that "chatter" before and after class, that have a personal blog space to work out problems, get to know each other, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM