Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #7024 01/11/08 07:44 AM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    DH and I referred DD6 for GATE screening at her public school. She would have gone through the mandatory "child find" process next year, but we decided not to wait. We had our meeting with the teachers and board reps Wednesday, which went extremely well. They were very impressed with DD's achievement test scores and work samples, and DD's teacher spoke extremely highly of her abilities. They agreed to screen her right away.

Yesterday, DD took the NNAT for her aptitude screener. She said it was easy, and I don't know what to make of that. I'm very nervous! The state uses a matrix point system for screening. Aptitude is worth up to 5 points, gifted characteristics (done by the teacher) is worth up to 5, and achievement is worth up to 10. A score of 17+ qualifies a kid for services, and a score of 14-16 means a kid gets an IQ test to determine eligibility. ARGGGGHHH!!! It's so hard to wait!

K
    K
    I think that's maybe a good sign? After my son took the NNAT, he said it was easy and fun and he hit the ceiling on part of the test. I think he only missed 2 questions?

It's amazing that your teachers are so supportive and positive! Our admin/teachers could care less than DS hit the ceiling on THEIR GT screening test.

Good luck! Hope you hear soon!

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks for the encouragement. You're probably right. DD is just so laid back about these kinds of things, and it makes me crazy. She almost didn't even tell me about it. We were talking about school, and it was kind of an afterthought--like, "Oh, BTW, I went to GATE today and did this booklet thing."

Yes, the system we're in is very supportive of GT kids, although the state really isn't.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks!

Good luck to your DS!

Originally Posted by pinkpanther
    DH and I referred DD6 for GATE screening at her public school. The state uses a matrix point system for screening. Aptitude is worth up to 5 points, gifted characteristics (done by the teacher) is worth up to 5, and achievement is worth up to 10. A score of 17+ qualifies a kid for services, and a score of 14-16 means a kid gets an IQ test to determine eligibility. ARGGGGHHH!!! It's so hard to wait!

Good luck, I agree waiting is so tough!
    I hope all goes well. I do think that your state's screen process is commendable. I like that they identify a group of kids that are 'possibles' and then follows up more in depth. Ideally they would provide testing for the 17+ kids to help with educational planning, but that's expensive and rare!

I think it's a very good sign that the teachers are supportive. I believe that that will be enough to get her into the 'possible' group no matter how she does on the NNAT. I'm not familar with the NNAT so I can't offer any insight there.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Well, we haven't gotten the official word yet, but the outlook is bleak. DD6 only scored a 104 on the NNAT nonverbal screener, so she will get no points in the aptitude part of the matrix. At this point, it's still mathematically possible for her to qualify to take a real IQ test. They are waiting on the teacher's rating scale. I think it's rare for a kid to get a perfect score on that, though. From what I know so far, DD6 probably has 9 out of 10 points on the achievement part of the matrix and 0 out of 5 on aptitude. I figure she will get at least 4 out of 5 on characteristics, which would only give her 13 points (1 point shy of qualifying for further testing). Five out of 5 would do it, but it's not likely that it will happen.

I'm bummed. The same thing happened to DD9 the last two years. Both of my girls are very bright and pick things up extremely easily. Their teachers have always talked about how smart and ahead they are. They consistently ace achievement tests. They are great readers and writers, too. How can they have average ability and yet achieve at such a high level? Why the discrepancy? Maybe the NNAT is just not their test. After all, it's purely a visual-spatial test.

I'm really, really disappointed.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks, Dottie. I think so, too. It just doesn't make sense. They are both highly verbal and were early readers, talkers, etc. The frustrating thing is that the school system can't really use another screener at this point. There are two other state approved screeners they could use (both more verbal), but the state has made the cutoff scores so high that no one uses them. They did this because some schools were not administering it properly, and kids were passing answers. DD9 will take the OLSAT in the spring, and it does have a verbal component.

Great points made by CFK. Group tests are not the best tools, and can allow a lot of kids to slip thorough the cracks. YOU know your children best, and don't let a low group ability test change your view.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks, guys! CFK, that really does make me feel better. It does sound like our kids are similar. From the informal polling I've done, it sounds like it's quite common for GT kids to score low on the NNAT.

The frustrating thing in all of this is that even though I feel that the NNAT is not doing my girls justice, I can't force the issue because the process is so fixed by the state.

I do have a psychologist friend who wants to give my girls the SB to keep himself in practice. It won't be official, but at least it will give us an idea of where they are.

K
    K
    I'm so sorry to hear that pinkpanther! How disappointing. Since the entire kindergarten class took it last year at our school, I know several who have very bright, verbal kids who did not make the cut at our school either. Even kids who were reading ahead of DS at that point last year. I hope the back door works for you somehow!

I do often wonder how DS would do on a full WISC or the like. DS is verbally strong, but not necessarily hit the ceiling of the test strong like he is with patterns, math, relations, etc...

Let us know how it goes! I think it's a great idea to try the SB too if you can. At least you'll get a bigger picture.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM