Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    D
    Regarding the Pre-Schools, our experience was that they were very accommodating regarding giftedness. In fact, if it weren't for the Pre-school teachers our kids had informing us that our children were gifted, we may still be clueless!!

I'm always sad when pre-school teachers are excluded from the category of teaching professionals deserving better pay and more respect.

S
    stbmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I couldn't agree with you more delbows - our preschool teachers are absolutely wonderful - especially ds head teacher. Nurturing and loving, yet still teaching - its a combination most "teaching professionals" should try to employ. They understand that toddlers are toddlers and still need a pacifier every now and them - but they can still learn letters, numbers, and other exciting things!

SBTMom,
    Sounds like you've got a wonderful pre-school there. I know it's scary, but the big rule is - meet todays needs today, and let the future take care of itself (exception for folks who are depending on College Scholarships)

It's hard not to cave into the "get your foot in the door" pressure to compete for spots, but let me assure you, with a child like yours, either the school with "get" him and be desperate for him, or won't "get" him and wouldn't be useful to you anyway.

The private school DS10 is in now was said to be full, and not taking any more kids, until I got on the phone with them in Mid August! He was in in 2 weeks, Grade skiped 4 weeks later. Whatever else happens, I am convinced that they can "see" my child.

The bottom line, talk to a lot of people, and take whatever they say with a grain of salt. Enjoy every moment. You're eyes are so much more open than mine - LOL, I knew my child was a bit different, but I figured it was because I was doing such a splendid job! Afterall I was doing what all the books had said to do. (And I had read all the books) But beyond MG? Me? Him? Naaaah.

Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    stbmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks so much everyone - I really do appreciate the help. My dh and I really do just want to do what is best for ds. We are real advocates of education (six degrees between the two of us) and know that learning is such an important part of life. We really do thank God that He trusts us with such a special little boy. However, we remind ourselves every day that he is still just a toddler and some days all he wants is to cuddle and snuggle and those days are wonderful too!
    I am honored to be in such great company with all of you wonderful parents of great kids and look forward to learning all that I can (and sharing information too!). Thank you again for the kind welcome and the great advice!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM