Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 154 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    DD6 in 1st, says math is too slow and too easy. Also, she says the reading is so slow. They are letting her do AR's above grade. She has done 6 ARs so far, all 100% and they are about 2nd or 3rd grade. She didn't get to go Math enrichment? She is top reader and will get to go for Reading enrichment.
    In her LA book she wrote the anwsers ahead of class very lightly under the blanks.

How would I explain this may be effecting her self esteem? Could I say the examples below show me she needs to be challenged in school so she has the confidence to do things. Are these good examples?

DD and I putting together a 60 piece puzzle and she surprized me by acting overwhelmed. We have not done many puzzles recently. I said we need to do more puzzles so you can see you can do these types of challenges.

Working the Invention project for school she kept changing her mind about what her invention would be because some ideas did not work. (This is cute: she invented a finger protector for opening her umbrella)

O
    OP Offline
    O
    I was reading on another old thread that not making decisions can be part of perfectionism. DD6 has been coming to me often this year asking which should she use/do? I have been telling her she makes good decisions. Is she just wanting me to be involved?

I'm thinking of bringing this up as a way of showing self esteem concerns and not being challenged. I have a conference coming up soon. I'm hoping this will support testing.

Last edited by onthegomom; 01/20/10 08:59 AM.
    E
    E
    good luck with your conference!

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Well, I had the DD6's conference and her teacher seems wonderful. The teacher looks for opportunities to challenge her. The teacher let her explain a new classroom game to the class, she talks with her about her ARs, encourages her writing to be more indepth. I think she is noticing her and making a big effort. Teacher said she is doing well and feels she is challenged enough in school. They will not give her an IQ test.

The teacher mentioned is DD is day dreaming in class more lately. Teacher is not overly concerned. In this situation, she ask the kids if they are using their time well and the kids usually get refocused. Anybody have thoughts on daydreaming? Maybe it's no be deal.

At this point, I will look into having an IQ done outside and continue to enrich her at home. It doesn't seem like school will do anything else for her at this time.

I'm still looking into other schools and waiting for DYS membership to kick in. I forgot DS's signatures so it was delayed. I'm feeling a little tired of all this right now.

Last edited by onthegomom; 01/21/10 07:00 AM.
    J
    J
    I'm not sure where to direct you, but I was a BIG time daydreamer. For me, it meant a lack of challenge, boredom. I still have the same problem as an adult working in a very boring field.

I'd say definitely get her IQ tested, etc... she's a girl, and most tend to do the daydreaming as opposed to acting out like boys. To me it's the same reason, different output (behavior).

Originally Posted by onthegomom
    Well, I had the DD6's conference and her teacher seems wonderful. The teacher looks for opportunities to challenge her.
    Glad to hear that you are impressed with DD's teacher - a great teacher can do a great job. I find it weird that the school won't test her, but 'oh well' - I'm relieved to see that you are committed to testing her privately.

As for getting sick of the whole thing - yes, it gets too intense at times!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    I am holding off on the testing for now because of money issues. Despite lots of complaining about Math and reading, I think she can hang in there for this year.

I contacted DD6's 1st grade teacher again. I'm still a bit frustrated especially with the Math. I do think it was my best advocacy conversation. I'm quiet proud of myself. I had sent her a short email outlining my hopes and then referred to the email during our phone call. I actually feel that we heard each other on everything and I got all my questions anwsered. Teacher circled aroung a question once and I got right back to it.

I asked the teacher, could DD skip side B of he Saxon Math page? I felt she did not need all the review. Much of the work seems too easy like write the missing numbers: 53,?, 55, draw patterns, ect. She knew this stuff last year and some the year before. The teacher said she is not always getting 100% on side A and thought skipping side B not good for here. She did not make it into Math enrichment because she did not know multiplication and carring over addition. She said DD could bring in an Math enrichment book but I'm not sure she will have time to do it. If she does the workbook, I think this could help in the future.

DD is top reader in her class. I asked if something could be done with her hard back reader? This is done at school as a group. She said NO. This didn't bother me too much.

DD will start a 20 min a wk, pull out for reading enrichment for 2 months. Let teacher know how this works for her. I can only imagine she will love it.

11 subjects grades are 100%, except math 97%, english 99%, health 97% for this quarter in progress. She says school is too easy.

It seems to me the teachers feels everyone could use all the review no matter what. They also seem to think the students need to get 100% on everything or they don't know it. That is their program.

On the positive side, teacher is talking to DD about ARs, that she is reading above level and feeling proud of. Class also has some reading self choice time. DD is reading, A Little Princess by Burnett, 6 grade AR, which is a challenge for her. Class is given opportunity to test out of spelling test on tuesdays,DD has been successful here. Teacher is also doing some projects with the whole class that are challenging. DD just did a poster about an olympic event, generated from internet research this felt very appropriate. Whole school just did an invention project also wonderful experience.

I have issue with what to believe from DD about school. She has been saying she is not getting enough time to read and has been really upset about it. This makes no sense to me. She has reading time at school and reads 10-15 library books 2-3rd grade level at home each week. She complains in very upset ways, school is too slow and too easy. I tried to tell her she was reading enough and I would like her to play with the other kids instead of reading at recess. She complained she uses her library book up quickly and I offer the idea to bring in her big book she was reading. The it was all ok. I don't really get this.

Teacher only see a happy, suceeding, out going girl at school. I do think she is gifted but don't know level. I think pace and depth are significant issue at school but it's hard to really understand the problem if some things she says don't make sense.

I think I should stop asking for more this year for DD. They already think I'm a pest. Any thoughts on helping things improve for next year?

Last edited by onthegomom; 02/25/10 07:47 PM.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM