Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Hi, we are dealing with an acute case of perfectionism with DS8. He has always been somewhat perfectionistic but recenlty did the tendency is getting stronger. We are talking, but I also want him to read something on his own--this has been a good strategy on other issues. I'm searching on the web but almost all articles are written for parents and teachers. Could someone suggest articles or books with kids (or teenagers) as intended readers for them to understand their own perfectionism and help themselves? (We have that Gifted Kids Survival Guide which touches upon the issue but unfortunately it's very short.)

Thanks.

I
    I
    I found this book that looked interesting. I haven't read it myself yet but maybe someone here has some feedback. I'm planning to read it and watching this thread with interest for other suggestions.

http://www.scarecrowpress.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=%5EDB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=157886061X

Perfectionism and Gifted Children
    Rosemary Callard-Szulgit

SUBJECTS

REVIEWS
    "Callard-Szulgit does an excellent job of differentiating between perfectionism and aspiring to excellence." � CHOICE

DESCRIPTION
    The perceived natural character of gifted children is to be well behaved, hard working, and studious. Why, then, do so many gifted children have trouble in school? Rosemary Callard-Szulgit, herself a recovering perfectionist, explains how perfectionism can immobilize some children and cause social adjustment problems for others, and can also be a major contributing factor as to why school assignments and personal responsibilities are not being completed by so many of today's gifted children. During her 35-year career, Callard-Szulgit has found perfectionism to be the #1 social-emotional trait of gifted children. Perfectionism and Gifted Children provides insight into perfectionism, discussing why so many gifted children are perfectionists while providing common sense solutions to this problem.

This book will be helpful to families and educators of gifted students, as well as the gifted children themselves. The question and answer section may ease some anxieties that stem from the problem of perfectionism. Appendixes list associations and advocacy groups, Internet resources, and journals and magazines that address the special needs of the gifted and talented.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR perfectionism and gifted children
    Rosemary Callard-Szulgit, EdD is currently associated with the State University of New York, College at Brockport, where her courses on Teaching the Gifted K-12, Teaching Writing K-12, and Teaching Reading K-12, have become highly respected. Dr. Callard-Szulgit has a staff development consulting business, Partners for Excellence, in Rochester, NY and Phoenix, AZ. She is the former Facilitator for Gifted and Talented, K-8, in the Webster Central School District, a suburb of Rochester, NY. She continues to have articles published dealing with the education of gifted children.

If you want a good book for your child to read try "ISH". It's a great story about perceptions of perfection. I would say it's probably about a first or second grade reading level but the message is awesome!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    I
    I

This was a good post about perfectionism. I liked the advice to "Write your dreams in pencil."
    http://giftedexchange.blogspot.com/2009/01/facets-of-gifted-education-jim-delisle.html

Dr. Ed Amend gave a talk about perfectionism and recommended a book called When Lizzy Was Afraid Of Trying New Things.
    www.amazon.com/Lizzy-Afraid-Trying-Things-Little/dp/1591471710

Product Description
    Lizzy is shy and afraid of failing or making mistakes, so she refuses to try new things. Fuzzy the Little Sheep helps his anxious sister by devising a plan whereby she gets to add a stone to a rock pile every time she tries something new. Lizzy begins hesitantly, with small challenges, but eventually tries more and more things as she gets excited by the growing rock pile and realizes how much fun she is having.

M
    M
    I haven't read these, so I don't know whether they're any good, but here are a few:

Perfectionism: What's Bad About Being Too Good by Miriam, Ph.D. Elliott, Mariam, Ph.D. Adderholdt, and Caroline Price

What to Do When Good Enough Isn't Good Enough: The Real Deal on Perfectionism: A Guide For Kids by Thomas S., Ph.D. Greenspon

Nobody's Perfect: A Story for Children About Perfectionism by Ellen Flanagan Burns and Erica Pelton Villnave

The Treasure Tree: Helping Kids Understand Their Personality by John Trent

I know the day is coming when I'm going to be needing these for my DS4.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks, all! I got a few books and articles. The book that y DS8 seems to like the most is What To Do When Good Enough Is Not Good Enough. But more than the books, he liked it when I told him about myself--I'm also quite a perfectionist, I admitted it, told him I did miss opportunities because of this and I have been trying to change. I think he felt more comfortable knowing that this is common--even happens to mom, and this can be worked out.

M
    M
    I had to revive this thread to recommend a non-fiction book called Courage by Kimberley Jane Pryor. It's part of a series on values that is aimed at young readers. Although the book isn't explicitly about perfectionism, it deals with fear of failure better than any children's book I've found yet, and it was such a great conversation-starter for my perfectionist DS5 that I asked my husband to read it with him as well.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM