Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #67814 02/01/10 03:56 PM
    Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Not a huge issue but DS7 tested last week on the SCAT, it was not the best day for him, he was feeling sick that day, and by the afternoon had a pretty good fever. He is grade skipped and tested as a 3rd grader. His math was good 48 out of 50 giving him a 469 or 97%. However his verbal was a little low at 30 out of 50 for a 430 at a 52%. Because of the 430 (Needs a 435 for 3rd grade) he is not elegiable for language art classes. Does JHU allow for re-testing, is their a wait time, or should I push because he would have qualified as a 2nd grader. This is not a big issue, but we may want him to take some language art classes this summer.

Last edited by Edwin; 02/01/10 03:58 PM.
    N
    N
    Awesome score on the math, Edwin!

Yes, you can take the test twice a year. Not sure what the wait is. I think there is a page on the webiste about applying to retest.

I don't think there's a wait at all, yes definitely he can retest, up until the 15th of feb, I think for eligibility.

Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank You, I will follow up.

Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you Dottie, I will have to see what DS7 wants to do for summer. We are looking at the JHU Science program, or maybe a writing program.

D
    D
    Here's a link to the currently available courses.
    https://ctyjhu.org/summer/ysopencourselist.cfm

Or... to look at it from the reverse, here's a list of full or canceled courses:
    https://ctyjhu.org/summer/fullcanceledlist.cfm

From the CTY website regarding re-testing:
    http://cty.jhu.edu/ts/faq#Courses_1
    Originally Posted by CTY
    Q. What happens if my child misses qualifying for courses?

A: If your child�s scores are very close, you may wish to have him/her take the tests the next time offered. Or the tests can be taken again in future years. Bear in mind the scores needed to qualify increase as the child�s grade increases.

Special instructions for 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 grade students who will take the SCAT within the same year: Students may retake the SCAT at a later date to attempt to establish their eligibility. Students make take the SCAT up to two times per academic year. All requests for retests must be submitted by May 31. To retake the SCAT, submit a written request to CTY at:

SCAT Retest
    CTY Talent Search
    Johns Hopkins University
    McAuley Hall
    5801 Smith Ave
    Baltimore, MD 21209

You can also fax your request to 410-735-6220, or email ctyretest@jhu.edu.

Include your child�s name, birth date, address, CTY student ID (if available), the name of the test you took (SCAT), and the date you took the test. A new SCAT registration bulletin will be mailed to you.
    Dandy

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi Dandy

Thank you for the links, and the re-test info

Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DS7 did the re-test on SCAT 3rd grade. He was sick the first time, so we thought he should re-test. He had a 430 on verbal and because of the grade skip he just missed the 435 cut off. On the re-test he recived 33 out of 50, 430 again (Consistant at least) he had 3 more correct answers, but I guess a few more students did a little better on this test. On the math he recived a 47, which is one less then last time (Still consistant)but received a higher score of 473. I guess less students did as well on math. Oh well, we will have to look eleswhere for a summer writing program. He still may take one of the summer science class's. Note just less then 24hrs to get results on line.

Last edited by Edwin; 02/16/10 02:19 PM.
    N
    N
    It does seem strange how the raw score to scaled score conversion changes depending on the version of the test. You would think that they could have balanced the questions somehow, so that both versions would yield similar scores.

At any rate, your DS's math scores are consistently excellent. Congrats!

If you were looking for online writing classes, you might want to look at Northwestern CTD's Gifted Learning Links.

Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes different norms, eY1 the first time and eX2 the second time. Quick note that if your child tests within 3 points of making the minimum there may be a little bit of wiggle room. At least that is what they told me on the phone. I e-mailed them to see if they would make an exception for a grade skip score (Yes I want it both ways)for a 2nd/3rd grade summer writing course.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM