Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    D
    D
    Did I just say DS can barely write a sentence?

He sat down this afternoon and hand-wrote a full page, single-spaced, about ocean habitats, while I was out of the room.

You know how you take your car to the mechanic, and it stops making that noise? I'm taking my kid for a psych eval for dysgraphia, and he chose this week to learn to write.

Sheesh.

Originally Posted by doclori
    Did I just say DS can barely write a sentence?

He sat down this afternoon and hand-wrote a full page, single-spaced, about ocean habitats, while I was out of the room.

You know how you take your car to the mechanic, and it stops making that noise? I'm taking my kid for a psych eval for dysgraphia, and he chose this week to learn to write.

Sheesh.

LOL!!!

Today's SST (student study team) meeting with myself, the teacher, counselor and school psychologist...that was an exercise in futility and not successful at all, as far as I can tell. Trying to get everyone else to understand and stretch their minds a little...that's not working either...

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    K
    K
    DS#1 is 9. What didn't work for him was radical acceleration or Montessori school.

We tried a grade skip and then another grade skip (so that he was 2 years above grade level) at the school's suggestion. The work was helpful, but he asked to go back to his grade level because he missed his friends. He also didn't have quite the executive function or organizational skills to manage the work. He could do all of it with direction, but couldn't manage a project quite the way an older kid could. He just wasn't mature enough yet.

Montessori also didn't work. He blew through the classroom materials too quickly and they had no idea how to differentiate for a kid with some extreme gifts. He was bored.

What is currently working is in-class differentiation. He is in a class with his age cohort and his teacher gives him differentiated materials to work on. He's working 3 grades above his current grade in several subjects. The expectations for time management and organization are age appropriate, though, which is much less frustrating for him.

S
    S
    1) Parochial school. eek Religious beliefs notwithstanding, I'm referring to the old tactic of teaching by humiliation.

In first grade I read at about a sixth-grade level, and would often complain of the "see Spot run"-style primary readers as being too boring. The teachers' response was to put me in a third-grade classroom... where I did fine until they made me read from the board.

IN CURSIVE.

And these weren't even nuns. By contrast to the civilian "educators," the nuns were, well... quite holy. wink Books aren't written in cursive, of course. I broke down in the middle of class because I couldn't read what was on the board. I probably could've if it were in standard print, because the issue wasn't reading comprehension, it was just that, well, I hadn't learned cursive yet. Needless to say, the third-grade kids all laughed.

The third-grade teacher called downstairs for the first-grade teacher, who came upstairs, grabbed me by the ear and dragged me two flights of stairs (by the ear), and upon arrival at the first-grade class "where I belonged," shoved me in the room and had me stand at the front of the classroom, tearful and humiliated. Then she told all the girls to look up at the front of the room for a minute. Guess what: the third-grade kids and their teacher showed up too. To "teach me a lesson about pride," which she wrote in big words on the blackboard behind me.

I was the poster child for an "important lesson" in why pride and knowledge are against the teachings of God. mad I wasn't "haughty" at all; just bored literally to tears and frustrated by the fact that there weren't any chapter books. A non-denominational private or charter school might have been a better option, but the overly rigid parochial environment where "knowledge is a sin" (especially because it was an all-girl school) and independence tantamount to demonic possession was NOT a good match at all.

2) Public school and the "self-contained" classroom (I don't like that term either), without regard for students' individual issues. As a shy, highly intelligent but emotionally insecure and high-anxiety teenager (really, what teenager isn't high-anxiety?) wink I was, for part of ninth grade, in a "self-contained" class with some seriously troubled and/or disabled kids: one with Down syndrome, another with a double whammy of disadvantages (deaf and of non-English speaking parents), a few who'd moved in from the inner city and were in here instead of juvenile hall for gang involvement, and a girl of about 15 or so who dropped out because she was pregnant. I was on the way other end of the educational spectrum while they were, unfortunately, still starting out. But the fact that middle-of-the-road was all the school system was willing to accommodate -- the slapped-together NCLB template curriculum -- meant that any outliers were in what the faculty often referred to (and disparagingly, I might add) as "the zoo," "the experimental monkey lab" or "the point of no return."

They were quite a cast of characters, and I have to say, better people as people than the stuck-up cheerleaders or jocks of the "mainstream," but it really wasn't a good match for me (obviously), and though I was actually disappointed to leave (and a little scared), I really didn't belong there. I did get to hang out there from time to time though, during study hall when I'd help out the teachers' aides and para-professionals (or if the cafeteria got too lonely and overwhelming).

Basically, though, it was like sticking Matilda in with the "Dangerous Minds." eek

'Tis a gift to be simple; 'tis a gift to be free.
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM