Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 187 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    C
    The Montessori school that both my kids now attend have been very accomodating with us. Our 6-year is engaged in academics @ a 6th grade level and will soon be ready to move on to 7th.

The school was originally accredited up to 6th grade, but our boy gave them the push to be accredited for up to 12th so he would have some sort of home for a while.

Our youngest just turned 4 and the school allowed him to skip Pre-K and K and is peforming 1st grade academic work and his teacher is trying to figure a program that will engafge him on the same level as our oldest although he is not a "driven" as our oldest is.

DS9 - Starting 9th grade
    DS7 - Starting 5th grade
    U
    U
    I wanted to post here because I feel we are a semidecent success story right now, at least in terms of school. DD, who tested MG but appears more HG, transferred from a small charter with a seemingly high # of bright kids to a gifted magnet school. Though some things could be better, DD is clearly much more stimulated. The school uses a project-based curriculum that really allows kids to go deep into the subjects. There are also a lot of excellent guest speakers and field trips on topics of great interest to the kids. Science is strong, with an on-site lab. She did a compacted math curriculum and is now working through a curriculum for the next grade up. Interestingly, the teacher seems to be doing almost no "reading" instruction other than providing a lot of time for free reading. I was skeptical of this at first, but it no longer bothers me. Her teacher and the librarian seem to be doing a decent job of keeping her in books that are somewhere around right. The downside is that there is too much homework, but when I ask DD how her day was, her answer is always "Great!" This was definitely not the case at her old school. She also appears much more socially connected and happy.

DD9 started partial schooling in January in gr 6 (a month before her 9th birthday). This was after almost a year of advocating for her to get a radical acceleration from entering 4th to entering 6th. After we were refused the acceleration for the fall we started homeschooling her at the 6th grade level and it was clear that this was a good spot to try her at. So, after continued pressure she was admitted and she likes it a lot. Science and art are not at her level, but her language arts class is a gifted class and it is pretty close to her level. Her teachers are very happy with her and she loves being in classes with kids that understand her more than in the past.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM