Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 205 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Val Offline
    Okay, just learned something cool today when DS7's report card arrived.

He got a high A in science, and the teacher gushed with enthusiasm in the comments section. Here's the wonderful part: there were two asterisks next to the grade. I searched the report card and found: "**Student is working two grade levels or more above expected level."

I never knew about this! How wonderful that they recognized his abilities and gave him a nice acceleration. They also accelerated him in reading/language arts (which I knew about).

He understood the difference between solids, liquids, gases, and plasmas when he was three. And don't even get me started on his knowledge of dinosaurs when he was two. Etc. etc. At home, we understand his science abilities, but it's really, really nice to see this come from the school, without any advocating.

Val

N
    N
    Here is something I just found on our school's website. It is labeled as the GT Program "Quick Guide".

Dolores Elementary School
    PEAKS Program
    Parents, Educators, Administrators, Kids, Success

Quick Resource Guide for Gifted Education

What is this?
    This is a user friendly guide for parents written by parents to help them understand the steps necessary to advocate for their children.

If you are concerned about how to address academic or behavioral needs of your child, then this is the guide for you.

When do I start?
    As soon as you become concerned about your child�s academic, behavioral or social development, get involved. If problems exist at home or in school there could be a need for additional supports.

Why is early intervention important?
    It is critical not to allow your child to become disconnected from classroom learning and perhaps to even fall behind in academic, behavioral, or social development. It is important to address academic or behavioral needs at the earliest point possible. It is extremely important that a child who has gifted potential have his or her academic and social emotional needs addressed.

Where do I start?
    Start by sharing your concerns with the classroom teacher. Ask the teacher if he/she sees these needs in the classroom. Sometimes a gifted student hides their abilities from the teacher and other students so as not to appear �different�. You can also contact the school counselor and school principal. The Gifted and Talented team may also become involved at this point depending on the issues and identified needs.

Response to Intervention (RtI) is a process used to support learning, behavior, and social-emotional needs. For students who may be gifted, RtI is used to determine eligibility for special educational services or gifted programming. Initially, the classroom teacher will try differentiating the curriculum in the regular classroom to see how your child responds to increased levels of complexity or advanced work. This adjustment in the curriculum is called an intervention. How your child responds could be part of evidence collected to determine if he or she may be gifted. This evidence is equally important as any formal testing.

Where do I start? Continued�

For more information on the RtI process and identification for gifted education, ask your child�s teacher or administrator. You can also contact the Southwest BOCS at 565-8411 and ask for Carol Jones. You can also visit the Colorado Department of Education�s web site at www.cde.state.co.us/gt/index.html

What else can I do if these steps are not working?
    Expect this process to take time. As a parent, you can ask for frequent progress reports to see if the interventions are working. Ask for feedback and for an explanation of how RtI is working for your child. Consider yourself a partner working with the school and expect frequent communication.

If you feel your concerns are not being addressed, you can contact the Southwest BOCES, the administrative unit responsible for gifted and talented education in our area. In addition, you have the right to request, in writing, an evaluation to determine eligibility. Examples of evaluations include cognitive assessment and/or rubrics completed for non-academic giftedness, behavioral checklists completed by the teacher and the parent, evidence collected from differentiating the curriculum, and other test data from school.

Here is another document in that section, labeled "Overview":

Dolores Elementary School
    PEAKS Program
    Parents, Educators, Administrators, Kids, Success

Dolores Elementary School recognizes that all students have individual academic and personal strengths. We believe that the majority of our students are high achieving capable learners. A small portion of our students may have needs beyond the scope of the general education classroom and may be identified as gifted. Areas of giftedness may include academics, leadership, and the arts. These students challenge our school to provide an education in which they can find personal relevance to become fully engaged in their educational experience.

Kindergarten through second grade teachers will encourage every student to achieve their full potential while watching for signs of giftedness in a variety of areas. Teachers begin to build a student portfolio documenting specific areas of strength. Formal identification of students as gifted and talented rarely takes place until the end of the 3rd grade.

Dolores Elementary School has adopted a �body of evidence� approach to formally identify our gifted and talented students. The gifted and talented team will review the body of evidence collected by the child�s teachers to determine eligibility. The need for further assessment may be recommended by the gifted and talented team. At the end of the third grade, or the beginning of the fourth grade, qualifying students will be formally identified and placed on an Advanced Learning Plan or ALP.

The gifted and talented body of evidence may include:

Kindergarten to Second Grade:
    Kingore Observation Inventory (KOI) Exceptional Behavior
    NWEA Math and Reading Achievement Data
    Anecdotal notes/Observation Exceptional Behavior
    Work Samples Performance

Third to Fifth Grade:
    Kingore Observation Inventory (KOI) Exceptional Behavior
    NWEA Math and Reading Achievement Data
    CSAP Reading Achievement Data
    CogAT (Cognitive Abilities Test)* Aptitude
    N-Nat (Non-Verbal Ability Test)* Aptitude
    Woodcock Johnson lll* Achievement
    WISC lll or lV Aptitude
    Anecdotal notes/Observation Exceptional Behavior
    Work Samples Performance

*These assessments require parent permission and are administered by the school psychologist on an as needed basis.

Interesting that it says that formal identification rarely takes place until the end of 3rd grade--we were informal last year in 1st grade and got our formal identification this year at the start of 2nd grade. smile

W
    W
    This is a story of failure and success in finding an appropriate school for Wolf (I copied it from my blog about the boys and added a bit):

In July 2008 I read an article about gifted kids and said "This sounds like Wolf." I went online and did some research (ok, a WHOLE lot of research). It turns out that most kids aren't doing math when they are three, I honestly had no idea that was out of the ordinary. In my research I found out about early Kindergarten entrance and contacted my district to find out if it was an option in our area. Mind you, at that point I wasn't gung ho about placing him in K early, I JUST wanted to know if it was possible. Mid August 2008 I finally found one person in the school district who actually knew the answer and wasn't rude which was a nice change. I was then put in contact with the charter system and told that Wolf could start with one of their schools (homeschool based system) that fall. Shortly afterward I was told he couldn't because the school was full (which the principal later told me was a lie). I was told by the district to homeschool Kindergarten in 08-09 so we did and I just let him go at his own pace.

I quickly realized that a grade skip, in other words starting 1st grade when he was five, would do him a lot of good. It would be a closer academic fit, he was ready for it socially and then he wouldn't have to skip later when there was more social stigma and stress involved. I talked with the principal of the charter schools again to see about getting him placed in 1st in fall 2009. There was much hassle and much disbelief in his abilities. The principal finally suggested that I give him grade assessment tests at home. I think they wanted to prove to me that I was seeing things that weren't there, was pushing him, ruining his childhood, etc... I asked what to do if he aced them, they said come back and get the next level. By the time I asked for grade 3 math they were getting really tired of us. The secretary even asked me why I was doing it.

I talked with one charter and both Wolf and I were treated rudely. Wolf was talked down to and we were pretty much disregarded. One teacher even said, "Oh don't worry some of the parents bring their preschoolers so he'll have kids to play with." We finally had an appointment with the teacher of the charter he would probably end up in and I spent a half an hour being lectured about how I was not allowing him to be a child. I didn't get to ask most of my questions about the program. I guess children are supposed to be bored and unchallenged since that was the only thing I was trying to prevent. That was the last straw.

I called the Independent Study program in the public school system of the neighboring district. I had talked to them before when we had thought about moving there. I told the head teacher all about Wolf and what he could do. She loved the idea of having him as a student. Then I told her the thing that turned everyone else off, he would be 5 in August 2009. She had no idea what the problem with that was. He was my kid and I knew him better than she did. She was willing to take everything I said sight unseen. She also specifically requested that he be her student and was willing to fight to get a transfer to go through if that was what it would take.

We applied for a interdistrict transfer and they were going to make us go through a bunch of red tape since we hadn't even enrolled in our home district yet. However the person in charge was the first person I had talked to originally and I told her exactly what had happened and she pushed it through on her end, the only thing that went smoothly for us in that district. We had to wait till the day school started here to get the official confirmation that it went through though, but it did and now Wolf is blasting his way through 1st grade through high school level work. He's even getting to study Logic and Spanish to keep him challenged. He is loving it and the fit is perfect.

His teacher helped us apply to Davidson and made it possible for us to meet with someone in the district who works with gifted kids to get some idea of what to do with him, since she and I are mostly flying by the seat of our pants.

It took a year of being taught very roughly that school districts and most school staff are less interested in a child's education than keeping the status quo and fitting all the pegs in their round holes whether or not the pegs themselves are round or square, but we found the perfect fit in the end.

Wow! Thanks for sharing that experience. I think it's a really good example of how looking elsewhere for a good fit after exhausting all your options; can sometimes be the best solution.

I am very happy to be able to contribute to this thread. smile
    We've been advocating for DD7 all year with very little success. However, last week DH and I meet with both elementary school administrators, and her classroom teacher as well as her math teacher and "reintroduced" DD to them . In other words, reminded them of what level she was at when we moved here (at the beginning of this school year), what her test scores were, how her intensities come out when in certain situations, etc. etc. etc. Basically this was a meeting to try and get major changes to take place since we had again gotten to the point of DD not wanting to go to school because she was so frustrated with not doing anything all day in school.
    After my rather lengthy intro, and me explaining what DD thoughts were about her situation, her teachers had some questions about what we expected them to do, and why was it that they were not seeing her giftedness all the time if "she is as gifted as you say she is". One of them actually seemed to be saying that she was just a spoiled child, and should be made to do all of grade 2 work, even though it is at least 2 grades below her level.
    After much discussion, and us giving them some suggestions of some types of differentiation that they should be doing with DD we left the meeting with a promise that they needed a week to get things organized, but that things would change and they would get back to us once they had come up with a plan.
    Well, that was on Wednesday last week, on Friday DD came home from school saying that school would be changing for her starting next week (ie this week we're in now). She would no longer have to do 2nd grade grammar or reading, and would be doing independent reading and assignments based on that instead. Her spelling activities would be different as well, although she would still be required to do spelling (a good thing). She was given the option of not continuing to do rocket math (40 simple questions in 1 minutes, which she is convinced she can't do, and as a result she won't do). She chose to continue doing it but is now only required to complete 20 in a minute before moving on to the next level.
    Her math teacher has given her options of doing the same homework as everyone else (which is already at gr 3 level), or some enrichment problems instead if she already knows the regular stuff. If she knows the enrichment stuff too she can write a math story about the topic instead.
    It is like DD has changed schools! In 3 days the differences we have seen have been amazing! DD is happy to go to school again, she does her homework with no complaints and is doing them well too, rather than sloppily as she was before. She is even getting more encouragement and praise from her teacher, rather than not much response to her work.
    So, it appears that the issue all along has been that they really have no idea of how to handle a HG+ kid like DD, and since it is a private school, they do not have anyone trained to handle any gt kid ("we have lots of GT kids here, we all have extensive experience teaching high ability kids"). Since we were able to get a friend to give us suggestions that she has used when she as gt coordinator for a different school, they are happy to try to meet her needs.

Wow Kerry! That's amazing! It does pay to be pleasant and persistent. And I'll bet that when they see how much better she responds to more appropriate work, It'll make the next time you have to visit with them much easier. If there is a next time, lol!

It's also an important point that you bring up in that once the school really does see that there is a difference between the needs of an HG child within the GT population, it becomes much easier to get accommodations. I sometimes think that's the biggest hurdle and you did a great job!

Neato

S
    S
    I hesitate to use the word success yet, but it appears things are going quite well for us and definitely moving in the right direction. I had testing done on DS5 when he was 4 yrs old and discovered that he was a PG child (although I pretty much knew that, but the testing confirmed that). We live in NY, which is an awful state for gifted education. There are no mandates, no funding, and our district actually does not have any gifted programming at all...so the thought of school for him has always been a little overwhelming. But I decided to see what our local public school could do. I sent the report to our district superintendent and then called them to follow up to request a meeting. I then had a meeting with the principal and the curriculum superintendent and asked what they would be able to do for DS5. They were a little unsure and talked about having lots of good K classes and they were sure they could find a fit. I suggested that they meet him. The principal was excited about this and spent an hour with him one afternoon taking him to a couple different classes. She quickly determined that first grade would be a better fit (probably in part due to his discussion with her turning decimals into fractions at 4yo).

This past fall DS5 started first grade. They waited a month or so to really give him any different work than the other students. He was also acting out and not behaving during this time(acting quite immature) mostly due to the lack of mental stimulation and having never been in a school setting. About two months into the school year they purchased a computer program for him to use in the classroom for Math and reading that is supposed to be able to move at his level, which was a big step for them. So...there have been some bumps in the road, but at this point he gets his own spelling words (probably 4+ grades above), weekly individual math enrichment (about 5+ years), use of the computer program and reading in his classroom for math and reading that is several grade levels above. He meets with another student and teacher to do more critical thinking in LA and reading. There are parts of the day where the teacher will make certain activities optional for him if she knows that it is not appropriate for him. And they are finally going to do a Math assessment and reading assessment to determine what his actual level is (even though they have been giving him work that is several years above).

He is challenged at times with his math enrichment (they are doing some HS level stuff), but I would say that is the only area right now...but it is still amazing that they are willing to go above and beyond his grade level as I have heard so many horror stories.

I am hopeful that as they get to know him better they will do more and more. They are already talking and meeting about what to do next year and looking into computer programs. They also talked about developing an IEP for him. I was concerned that they might try to label him with something that he doesn't have, but the principal replied that the IEP would be through their school and not through special education and it would be "to address the exceptionality that he brings to the table, not a disability." the principal also stated "while IEPs are typically used to address individualized programming at the lowest end of the continuum, they are designed to meet the unique needs of students at the other end too". that was quite positive to hear and makes me feel like they do get it. I am always somewhat cautious, but quite hopeful that things will continue to get better and better : )

M
    M
    Just a quick rehash of DS's current situation. He did not want to be grade skipped so chose subject acceleration, we have therefore ended up with dual enrolment at high school and university. This lead to him not being eligible for any scholarships as he did not meet the criteria. By and large the majority of scholarships are for school leavers or continuing students attending on campus.

I have not been satisfied with this situation and a lot of this dissatisfaction isn't necessarily monetary but rather the lack of acknowledgement. The years and years of working above grade level, being a role model, putting in the hard yards etc and I'm not only talking about my son here but all gifted children.

So at the beginning of last year when he started his degree I started lobbying. I wrote to my State member of parliament, my Federal member of parliament, the education minister (State and Federal) and the university. I received replies from all of them but alas nothing was available. Every couple of months I would send of another round of updates regarding my son's progress and lamenting the lack of recognition and support that the gifted population receives. In short what a shocking and deplorable state of affairs this was.

Well today I received word from the university that they would like DS to attend a ceremony where he will be presented with an Award ( a term they use for awarding an amount of money not associated with sholarships). I also received a phone call from the undergraduate scholarships committee stating that the criteria for all their scholarships is now under review. I think this final phone call is the most satisfying for me because at the end of the day it boiled down to it being the principle of the matter. Who knows, the review may not change anything but at least it is happening.

Jobs for Gifted Students

Kids Talk Radio

We had success finding jobs for 8 gifted students this summer. The Long Beach Unified School District helped us to get the word out and they did a great job. We are training 8 students to become student backpack journalist and they will work for Kids Talk Radio. All of our students will post audio and video Podcasts to Kids Talk Radio, Super School Teen TV, Super School Press and Youth World News. We want to interview other gifted students and tell the world about their success stories. Gifted students and their parents are always welcome to visit and to submit success stories to Kids Talk Radio Kids Talk Radio.

Bob Barboza
    O
    O
    Last year, I kept thinking I just have not presented our situation well enough. How could a school not understand learning needs? Finally, I realized that our school was just not going to be what was needed. Having the support from our FC and the discussion board really helped me make this decision.THANK YOU!!!!

It has been about 7 weeks at our new school for Gifted Kids. My kids are happy after school. They enjoying learning again and feel challenged. This will do so much for them.

The commute to school went from 10 mins. to 45 mins and yet my life feels easier.

I hope this will encourage someone. Last year, I felt so worried that our situation was hopeless. Things can really change.

Last edited by onthegomom; 10/12/10 07:24 PM.
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM