Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Today was great! No side effects other than a little dry mouth. DS drank lots of water for that. He was tired because he was up from 1-5 am this morning (ugh!), but we didn't see any of the emotional side effects today. It's strange that he woke up like that because he had no problem falling asleep and slept soundly from 8pm-1am last night. He thought he'd slept an entire night!

When the medication wears off around dinner time he gets a little hyper, but he's really happy. He had no trouble falling asleep again tonight; I'm hoping he STAYS asleep til morning. He had a low grade fever this afternoon/evening, but the doctor says it's not related. He's probably coming down with something. So, it looks like we'll get another day to observe at home before he goes to school on Wednesday (if he's well).

The doctor did say that if the emotional side effects do not subside in a day or two, she wants us to half the dose. We're already on the lowest dose of Vyvanse. Today ds was calm and focused on a school project we were working on. We did a painting activity as well for about an hour and a half, and he was really concentrating. He says he feels like his brain is working better and is more focused. For the first time ever, he sat and read a book silently to himself! I hope tomorrow is another good day, but I'm remaining cautious. Thanks again for the support!

M
    M
    I'm really glad to hear things appear to be going well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your little guy. It's great when he feels the difference, not just you seeing the difference.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks Melissa! He slept all night last night and is doing well so far this morning (day 3). I'm keeping my fingers crossed too that it continues to go well.

H
    H
    Woohoo! Hope it keeps getting better. Thanks for the update Jen.

J
    J
    FYI - I just recently stopped taking Vyvanse. I was more prone to UTIs, which caused me to get thrush while on antibiotics (I am allergic to penicillin), and then I had other issues, all related to the bladder. I was on 50mg.

It worked for me, other than the physical side effects. Though, as with most ADHD meds, I did experience a "crash" around 2-3pm. It did not affect my normal "emotions" (you could say that I am part of that Gifted with Overexcitabilities crowd). So I wouldn't be quick to blame a tantrum as a side effect.

I personally miss it though - says the mom who is slowly gaining a few pounds back. wink

JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    JJsMom,
    Thanks for sharing that info. It was really helpful. We actually haven't had any tantrums over the past couple of days, not even little tiny ones. DS is doing exceptionally well. At first (day 1-2) he seemed different, even a little zoned out and not more focused. Now he's just himself, only calmer and more focused. I was really worried about him losing his personality, but that hasn't happened. No more sleep issues either. Of course, we're only on day 4, but I'm so happy things are going better than on day 1. Does Vyvanse take a few days to balance out? It seems like he had s/e at the beginning, but they are all gone now except the dry mouth and occasional "dizziness." I don't think he's actually dizzy; he just feels different. Did you feel different on it the first day vs. a week later? Thanks again!

My son had major emotional breakdowns in the afternoon when on Concerta. Vyvanse made him feel tired. He started cracking his knuckles like crazy and had a very dull affect. He is currently not on anything and we are searching for a new dr who specializes in ADHD in high ability children.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by JenSMP
    JJsMom,
    Thanks for sharing that info. It was really helpful. We actually haven't had any tantrums over the past couple of days, not even little tiny ones. DS is doing exceptionally well. At first (day 1-2) he seemed different, even a little zoned out and not more focused. Now he's just himself, only calmer and more focused. I was really worried about him losing his personality, but that hasn't happened. No more sleep issues either. Of course, we're only on day 4, but I'm so happy things are going better than on day 1. Does Vyvanse take a few days to balance out? It seems like he had s/e at the beginning, but they are all gone now except the dry mouth and occasional "dizziness." I don't think he's actually dizzy; he just feels different. Did you feel different on it the first day vs. a week later? Thanks again!

If I don't eat, I feel dizzy... it's jittery moreso than dizzy (like a caffiene high without the immediate crash). I think that's just the way the ADHD meds work, being a stimulant. I did feel different a week later. More used to the way it worked. I personally did feel a "crash" around 2-3pm (took it at 8am), BUT it wasn't as extreme as a caffiene crash. And it was not too bad since, for me, most of the stuff I needed to stay really focused on was already done for the day. I started with the lowest dose and was upped after about 2 months. 50 mg was definitely the perfect fit for me. But I'm not sure what they recommend for kids if there becomes a point where it seems not to work anymore.

And I can totally tell a difference now when I take it vs not taking it (I have a "stash" for those days that I do need it - my last refill). The one thing I did love about Vyvanse is that even though they say you can become dependent due to it being stimulant and not to forget your dose, etc, I didn't/don't suffer withdrawals when I don't take it. I rarely took it on the weekends when I was taking it regularly. There was no "oh my God, I have to have my meds now" feel, which I hear happens with the likes of adderall.

Oh, and DH says he likes me more when I take it (I really wish I didn't have the UTI/Bladder issues, which I am personally prone to anyway) because I have MORE of a personality. smile

My cousin (who is in her late 40s) takes Concerta. She has been on and off all types of ADHD meds and says so far Concerta has been the best fit for her.

Good luck!

J
    J
    Oh, and I know you don't have to worry about this with your DS, but I am a smoker (throw stones NOW), who is on/off again quitting. When taking the Vyvanse, I feel the need to smoke more. Thankfully for my health and those around me, I don't smoke at home, in front of DC, or at work, etc... but the craving is more. So if there is a "habit" that your DS has, don't be surprised if the desire to do so intensifies, if that makes sense (like 4evercropn saying her son cracked his knuckles more).

V
    V
    At first vyvanese worked wonders on my son then the tics began. Started as a throat clearing consistantly, moved to heavy breathing and motor tics. Began our diagnosis of tourettes . At first the doctor said its nothing but when the breathing sounds like an asthma attack and scares strangers even though it is all nasal and not from the lungs it was scary. Did seem to be more of an issue for adults than for him.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM