Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    2 members (jenjunpr, aeh), 161 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    CourtneyB #68649 02/11/10 06:16 AM
    K
    K
    Have you tried the Geronimo Stilton books? They are chapter books (about 3rd grade level), but they have large text, interesting fonts, and pictures on every page. They're the first chapter books my DS would read at that age. They just weren't as intimidating as a regular chapter book. He quickly transitioned to regular chapter books after this. You can take a look at a few pages of the book on Amazon to see the format.

http://www.amazon.com/Race-Across-A...=1265893931&sr=8-1#reader_0545021375

kimck #68676 02/11/10 12:09 PM
    C
    C
    I tried one Geronimo Stilton book but it was borrowed from the library. I think if I buy one and leave it in his room it may get picked up and looked at.

We borrowed Bad Kitty Gets a Bath the other day and he was very interested and reading it until he 'realized' it was really a chapter book. Silly boy!!!

A
    A
    DD 2.11 is not reading chapter books by herself yet, although I bet she will be by that age since she is reading fairly well now....anyway, she loves having the Mercy Watson books read to her. i think there are 6 right now, and they have a lot of pics. They are about 70 pages long. Hope you find something.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    CourtneyB #68743 02/12/10 06:34 AM
    I
    I
    CourtneyB - this is a suggestion for your ds5, not for the younger child of the original poster.

If you're not opposed to a little potty talk, I would suggest getting the Captain Underpants series of chapter books. As you can imagine, there is quite a bit of bathroom humor, which I am normally against. However, a little boy we carpool with (also 5) really turned the corner on reading when he came into contact with these books. They are chapter books, but most chapters are short and they also have pictures. And there's something that seems to contraband about them, that some kids just eat them up. The author is Dav Pilkey.

I wouldn't suggest them to everyone, but since I saw your ds5 enjoyed Stink (something we also enjoy), he might really like these. Check one out the next time you're at the library and see what you think. I wouldn't be surprised if you left it somewhere in his room, if he picked it up to see what it was all about.

If it's not in your comfort zone, please disregard blush

O
    oli Offline
    O
    Have you tried Astrid Lindgren books

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Astrid+Lindgren&x=0&y=0

for that age Pippi Longstocking, Emil and Children of noisy village might be good. I think there are few version of the books with more or less pictures.

This was on another thread a while back but what worked for us was sharing chapters. DS chose left or right and I read the opposing page. After a month or so, he decided the process was too slow and moved on without me.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Irisheyes #68768 02/12/10 10:40 AM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Irisheyes
    CourtneyB - this is a suggestion for your ds5, not for the younger child of the original poster.

If you're not opposed to a little potty talk, I would suggest getting the Captain Underpants series of chapter books. As you can imagine, there is quite a bit of bathroom humor, which I am normally against. However, a little boy we carpool with (also 5) really turned the corner on reading when he came into contact with these books. They are chapter books, but most chapters are short and they also have pictures. And there's something that seems to contraband about them, that some kids just eat them up. The author is Dav Pilkey.

I wouldn't suggest them to everyone, but since I saw your ds5 enjoyed Stink (something we also enjoy), he might really like these. Check one out the next time you're at the library and see what you think. I wouldn't be surprised if you left it somewhere in his room, if he picked it up to see what it was all about.

If it's not in your comfort zone, please disregard blush

I'll have to grab one tomorrow and see what he thinks. He's 'pretty' good about not saying things he shouldn't (even when he hears them at school) so I'm not too worried. I'm sure we'll have a few talks about it but maybe it will interest him, lol smile

Another book I need to grab is the 2nd Dinosaur Cove book as he seemed to really enjoy the 1st one and it had a decent amount of pictures.

R
    R
    no5no5,
    the magic school bus books are complete stories and not books about a tv show, though there is a show that exists. They are high quality book, both the picture books and the chapter books, and my children both liked them very much. I would just totally go with what your child picks, and not try ot move up to chapter books before they are seeking them out. I did this with my kids and i regret it. I recently brought it up with my DS7 and he said that he read chapter books when he was 5 because i "talked him into it".. i felt so bad. I did it with the best of intentions and i did think he enjoyed them. But what he remembers is that he did not pick them himself. He has alsways loved complex picture books like Graeme Base and the quality is amazing. Some chapter books are really poorly written and not that interesting.

irene

renie1 #68775 02/12/10 10:59 AM
    N
    no5no5 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by renie1
    I would just totally go with what your child picks, and not try ot move up to chapter books before they are seeking them out. I did this with my kids and i regret it. I recently brought it up with my DS7 and he said that he read chapter books when he was 5 because i "talked him into it".. i felt so bad. I did it with the best of intentions and i did think he enjoyed them. But what he remembers is that he did not pick them himself.

Aww. I still pick out most of DD's books for her, but I do make an effort to stay (or at least appear) neutral as to what she reads. Fortunately (or not, lol) she has the sort of personality where I can't talk her into anything she doesn't want. She does pick out real chapter books on her own, but rarely reads more than a few pages. (The one exception is the first chapter of Sideways Stories from Wayside School, which, to my chagrin, she's read almost to the point of total memorization.) And she loves, and has loved for months & months, some of the easy reader "chapter" books like Amanda Pig and Fly Guy. (But of course she can read one of those books in five or ten minutes, and there are pictures on every page, so I don't even think of them as chapter books.)

I will definitely check out the Magic School Bus books. Yay for another option. smile We already read & love Graeme Base and I make an effort to get a few of the more challenging picture books every time we visit the library.

no5no5 #68809 02/12/10 08:26 PM
    I
    I
    I still pick books for D2, and she is 14! Yesterday she asked me to walk through the adult fiction section and the library and pick some stuff for her. Which I did. So you may be doing that for a long time... In fact, I now remember that D2 had a VERY hard time picking her own books until she was about 10.

I agree about not pushing the chapter books too hard. If you read chapter books aloud, that will help draw you child's interest. D2 was HOOKED on Harry Potter when I read it to her starting at about 3. Finally bought her the tapes after too many readings! She actually read chapter books fairly late for a gifted child... end of first grade. But as I mentioned earlier, she accelerated VERY rapidly once she hit her stide.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM