Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #67992 02/03/10 11:28 AM
    OP Offline
    Has anyone tried partial homeschooling? For example, only attending school for half a day or a similar arrangement.
    And/or does anyone have any advice on the wisdom of such an arrangement?

grin Breakaway

I have a friend who has done this with her kids and it has worked well. Mostly the school and teachers worked with her after she worked long and hard to establish good relations.

She pulls them out for specific subjects in which they need more challenging work.

I think the cooperation of the teacher is vital because special, fun things can be planned for when the child is in the room or NOT in the room, as the teacher likes. It can become punitive if the teacher is opposed to the arrangement. That's hard.

There is also the risk of the child becoming "neither fish nor fowl" and feeling out of place both in school and with homeschool groups. I suspect being mostly one or the other is best. (My friend's kids were pulled out for just an hour or so, I believe. That way they didn't miss much and they felt like schoolkids, not homeschoolers.) I think half-days might be too much. (But that's just IMHO...)

I think partial homeschooling or "dual enrollment" is a good option for some families. It just requires a lot of cooperation and communication.

Kriston
    K
    K
    The people I know who has tried this actually has ended up going back to school or going to full time homeschool. I think a lot of it has to do with the neither fish nor fowl scenario.

Having had a daughter in preschool last year while I was homeschooling DS, I feel like we felt a little of that. It was a good year, but now I realize our opportunities to feel like part of the homeschool community were limited by the 3 days a week we were committed to preschool. I feel like our opportunities are a lot broader this year. On the other hand it was a good transition year for us, and it helped cement the decision that yes, now we are homeschoolers. So it can be worth a try.

That being said, if either of my kids said they wanted to go back to school or go back to school part time, I would be totally game. This is working well for us now. But we'll see what the future brings.

I like Kriston's suggestion about either making yourself a homeschooler or a school kid. I do know someone who pulls their child from school one afternoon a week and does enrichment. That seems to be working really well for them. Definitely would help to have your principle and/or teacher on board!

kimck #68014 02/03/10 02:16 PM
    M
    M
    We have dual enrollment written into my DD's IEP. She attended PS K-3rd. Then was HS the 1st half of 4th before we finally got an IEP. She attended 2nd half of 4th and 1st half of fifth for partial days. She would have ELA (English Language Arts), and some specials. This year it is Art and Music, plus she sees the social worker and has speech therapy services. As of Jan. 1st we took her out of ELA for the second half of the year to try an online class because she is beginning to get frustrated with the ELA. We are yet unsure what she will take next year, although we expect at least some specials at the middle school to go along with her other services. If her online class works well she will stay home for all her core subjects. If not we will look into something else, we have left the door open as far as the PS, and have maintained a good relationship there. We now have to forge a new relationship with the middle school. (My DD even rides the bus to school the two days a week and spends a 1/2 hour in homeroom before special so I don't have to drive back and forth. smile )

It is hard doing something outside the norm. Most who HS in our area will not even use the schools for services, let alone classes. They do not want their children in the halls, period.

The other hard thing for my DD, and the reason she is trying this online class is that they get used to the freedom of HS. So my DD got very frustrated with spending 2 hours in PS on ELA, when she knew how much time was wasted. She loves being able to have the extra time.

Last edited by melmichigan; 02/03/10 02:19 PM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    We have the opposite problem: homeschooled kids are not allowed to use ANY public school services in our district. We live just across the street from the public school, and I'd love the opportunity to take him over for recess, art, music, PE and library time. Maybe more if they would do a better job of working with us. And extracurriculars as he gets older would be lovely to get access too, seeing as we pay taxes and all...

But there's no flexibility there. Some districts around here allow it. Ours is as rigid about that as they are about grade skipping, subject acceleration, etc. No exceptions. *sigh*

Kriston
    M
    M
    So far we are the only ones to have this opportunity with the school district as far as the dual enrollment for any core subject. In MI they have to allow access to auxillary services if your child qualifies under IDEA and you register with the state. They also have to allow non essential classes, including AP. I am told these classes fill so quickly in the higher grades that the HS kids are effectively excluded. I am hoping that a good relationship with the district and continued conversations with them and the Director of Curriculum will smooth the way a little for the middle/high school years. Our school is still very rigid when it comes to the rest...

Last edited by melmichigan; 02/03/10 05:23 PM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    K
    K
    It is state law here to allow partial homeschooling. Although districts and schools vary widely in how cooperative they are. Some better schools have long waiting lists, so they probably don't feel particularly compelled to jump through hoops to help a partially homeschooled child.

I'd actually love to utilize our neighborhood school's art class, but the schedule is so erratic it would drive me crazy. There is a jr. high a block from us. I'm keeping that in mind for language classes, because we haven't found anything that works for us in the homeschool community. I'd love for the kids to take another language.

N
    N
    We plan to try it. The school district to which we are moving seems pretty flexible, and it is a statewide requirement that they allow dual enrollment. So, since DD wants to go to school, I think we'll start by enrolling her in the extras (music, art, and gym) and see how it goes.

Our state doesn't allow p/t homeschooling so we cannot use our public school. DS5 and DS7 attend a small private school 2 afternoons/week. The afternoon program includes lunch, recess, art, music, theater, story time, and such.

It works pretty well for us. The kids get to be around other children on regular basis, do things they wouldn't get to do at home such a theater, and I get a few hours off. It also takes care about all the annoying questions regarding homeschooling and socialization wink

LMom
    LMom #68088 02/04/10 06:12 AM

We're not permitted to use any public school resources here. I can't really see the logic behind it, except for an irrational fear that we will "infect" the school population with the desire to homeschool.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM