Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Thanks, Lorel! I have no idea what was wrong with the guy but you may be right about that he had self-esteem issues.

I did tell my parents but they didn't complain to the school. Instead they talked to me about intrinsic motivation to show me that I could get a lot out of the class whether or not the teacher liked me. It was probably a useful lesson!

Cathy

I actually have enjoyed reading this thread, so I popped back to page 1 to read from the beginning. Hysterical and depressing, these comments are.
    I enjoyed reading that last article posted by Lorel. As adults, hopefully, most of us are capable to deal with these ignornant comments in a mature and effective manner.
    However, with a capital H, I think in most cases children are NOT. No matter how intelligent, they probably don't have the experience to deal with hostility from an adult, especially a teacher they are subjected to each day. No matter how brilliant, their identities are still emergent.
    I feel strongly that some GT kids would be damaged if subjected to the hostility as described in that Stanford article without parent intervention. As overt as that example is, many GT kids would easily pick up on even subtle hostility.
    We've all probably experienced the adult who seems driven to prove to us our child is "just not that smart". I'm glad I'm at the school alot, because if I even got a whiff that an adult would take that attitude to the next level and challenge my child with it..........well..........Like Mr. T. from the A team used to say: "I pity the fool"!!!!!!!!

(putting fists down now)

Incog

I think my parents had already given up on the school. When we first moved there they tried to have me placed in appropriate classes but it was a real struggle. I wonder if this teacher was trying to torture me to make me give up and drop calculus as a way to punish my family for advocating for me.

This is a real fear I have for DS. I think the best placement for him would be 2nd grade next year but even if I talk the school into it I'm afraid he will be punished by the teacher--subtly or not-so-subtly!

My family has already experienced this kind of treatment when advocating for DD who has life-threatening food allergies. We were accused by the principal of "creating an adversarial environment which could be detrimental to our child." That certainly sounded like a threat to me... No matter what the parents are like they shouldn't be taking it out on the child! It's disgusting that they use this as leverage against parents who try to advocate for their children.

Cathy

Isa Offline
    Here is my contribution:

The vision therapist that DD was seeing a few months ago told me that her advanced verbal development was destroying her visual abilities.
    She even sugested to use more my hands to communicate with DD and do less talking.

So now you know the secret to perfect eye vision: Do not talk!

Isa, that has to be the most bizzare thing I have ever heard!!! No wonder your vision therapy didn't go well. frown

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM