Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
    Kriston-

That sounds like something I'd enjoy reading. I love historical fiction. I really enjoyed Geraldine Brooks' Year of Wonders, for instance. I just finished a thomas Hardy novel this morning, though I think he wrote about his own time period?

It is interesting that we hear so little about women of the Viking culture. I've wondered about the lack of data myself. Were the women really so insignificant?

Good luck with the writing and editing, and I hope you do find a good publisher.

Actually, the Norse were pretty darn progressive in the areas of women's rights. That's one of the reasons this topic/character appealed so strongly to me. The Icelandic Norse in particular were really ahead of their time in a surprising number of ways given the way most people think of them these days.

Women could divorce their not-so-DHs for a fairly extensive list of reasons (including abuse). Women could own and/or inherit property. Women were completely in charge of the farms when the men went abroad for pillaging, war, exploration, or banishment (the typical way to deal with crimes and feuds), and were mostly in charge of the farms when they were aroud. The women were the "keyholders" for the household, which meant they were in charge of the resources for the farms. In a time when there was a deadly famine every 20 years, preserving and then doling out the food was perhaps the most important job there was!

I could go on and on, so I'll stop. I always warn people not to ask me about my book unless they really want to know because I'll tell them! But Norse history is absolutely fascinating. Surprisingly modern in many ways, but with a twist of violence and desperation, too. Hopefully it will make for a good read!

From my fingers to some willing publisher's ears... smile

Kriston
    Hi Bianca,

I am in the process of applying to Mirman but am in desperate need of a parent's viewpoint. What do you NOT like about Mirman and what made you choose it over schools? Also, what other schools did you look at? Any input would be greatly appreciated. As it is now, I have spent more time on this than choosing a grad school ( not sure whether to laugh or cry)

Christine

Hi Christine,

This is my daughter's second year at Mirman. She is absolutely happy there. We tried the public schools for K and it lasted approximately one week and then she refused to go. When I picked up my DD from Mirman on her first day there, I swear she was almost flying with happiness. She truly has found a place where she is valued and she belongs.

We also applied to SEEDS UES (The UCLA elementary school) and PEGASUS (Newport Beach). Academically, I don't believe UES would have been able to meet my dd needs. I have a friend who has a daughter at PEGASUS and she also loves it.

I really cannot say anything bad about Mirman as it has been a great match for us. The school is very small (which my dd loves), their art, music, drama and science departments are great.

All that said, Mirman is highly structured and academically rigorous. A lot is expected from the children, but the teachers are great at giving them the tools they need. The room one teachers are specially great. The pace is faster and the material shown in more depth than it would be in a regular classroom. One of my favorite things is that room one kids are paired with a room four child (buddy system). The room four children come to the room one children's classroom once a week and read to them or show them how to make things, answer questions and just plain become a "buddy" to the younger children. The upper school kids have a similar program with the room four children.

My daughter knows she is HG, but the great thing about attending Mirman is that she doesn't have to hide it or apologize for it. She is free to be herself. She is challenged by both the teachers and her peers. It is amazing to me that with all those HG children around the level of competiveness amongst the students is actually really low. The kids cheer each other up and are very loving and caring towards each other. Last year when my dd was in room one, I was picking her up from one of her after school classes and found her playing ball in the play yard with a child who was in 4th grade and one that was in upper school (7th grade). All three of them were just three kids having fun. The age difference didn't seem to bother any of them.

The only complaint I had so far was with my dd math work. My daughter is EG in math. Since room one, she has been going up one grade in math. However, even there she wasn't being challenged. The school wasn't very receptive about moving her up another grade. However, after a few meetings they have agreed to an IEP for her in math and the upper school math teacher is helping her with more challenging work.

There is another family that started Mirman this year from Long Beach. It is a long drive!!

Good luck with your application. I know what you mean about how difficult it is to choose the right school. I am just happy I don't have to worry about it until high school!!!

Has anyone received their decision letter from YSP? Just curious if they have processed Dec. applications yet.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Nope. Last group heard around the first week of December, so assuming at least a week delay for the DITD vacation over the holidays, I figure nothing until at least the week after next. Good luck!

I have enjoyed the wait long enough Dottie....We are ready for the decision.

We actually applied in Nov and received a letter in Dec. asking us to test dd on the WISC-IV. We sent the test results and re-applied for Dec.

I guess I mispoke. We actually only had to submit the new test results not the whole application. It still has been a long wait. I have never been a very patient person whistle

Mia Offline
    Not yet ... waiting ...

Mia
    I spoke to the folks at YSP today. The Dec. applications are still "under review". I was told the decision letters were going out next week.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM