Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 72 of 76 1 2 70 71 72 73 74 75 76
    S
    S
    That's so great SPG!
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    They are expecting him to breeze through the compacted curriculum, and they said that the program they have goes through 6th, so it should be OK for awhile. smile

LOL, hopefully that will last until next year, right? : ) It's amazing how they can breeze through stuff. I think that is why DS's school has been hesitant to actually do a curriculum for Math with him this year. They give him some algebra, they give him some geometry and perimeters here and there. They do all sorts of stuff, but I think the thought of using their curriculum scares them as they know how many years ahead he will be and aren't sure what to do. At the meeting we had last week they said that they weren't sure what to do if they gave him 4th/5th grade curriculum even though they fully admitted to giving him that work and it being right at his level. Very strange. I think they will be assessing him in the spring and will then start doing a curriculum. We will see. Right now they are looking into options for next year and beyond. I do feel good about things so far, although DS only gets 45 minutes of enrichment for math per week. And he gets his computer program. He gets a couple hours reading enrichment too now.

Anyhow, my point was to say CONGRATS and glad that school is going well for him. : )

S
    S
    Yay JJsMom. School for your DS sounds great. It is wonderful when they get your child and truly like them. That always makes you feel better as a parent. I was so happy when DS's math coordinator wrote a note to me about what they were doing and then wrote at the bottom "thanks for sharing DS with me" It's good to hear positive stuff. : )

I love to hear the good news. smile

Kriston
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    it is shellymos!

And mom2twoboys, good luck.

We wouldn't have had DS6 (also still having trouble putting 6 instead of 5 - lol) tested if the school didn't because we couldn't afford private testing. We would've gone the begging route up through the school board, district, etc, first. wink

M
    M
    Hi folks,

Just needed a friendly place to vent. DS6's report card was due out on 2/3. Alas, that was a snow day around here. DS8's report card finally made it home on 2/5. Still no report card for DS6. So, then, we got the snowstorms to beat all snowstorms here in the D.C. area. So, no school for a week, followed, FINALLY by a return today. And, you guessed it, still no report card. I emailed the teacher tonight, so hopefully it will show up soon.

This wouldn't bother me so much if I weren't waiting to schedule a P-T conference with the teacher for after the report card is in my hands. He's coming home with K sight words even though his first K teacher told me he needs 2nd grade words. And I'd like to talk about his reading b/c I've seen another jump at home and he's now reading 3rd grade books here. He keeps telling me that he doesn't read at school. I can't imagine that's the case, but seems odd that he keeps saying it. Plus, with a week off, he was NOT happy about returning today. He's also been moved off green on the behavior chart occasionally (he keeps it secret, so I don't know how much). I'm wondering if he's starting to find school too boring. Sigh.

Too many questions. Too few answers.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    How frustrating!!! And speaking of behavior, DS6's teacher emailed me last night (got it this morning) to say DS is being "silly" during lab & group time. And even after being reminded to behave, he starts acting out again. I know part of it has been due to lack of physical exercise since it's been cold here, but the other part is he's bored. I'm not even sure what to do at this point. I notice he's been antsier at home lately, partially again due to lack of being able to go outside for more than 30 minutes. But I fear it may be more.

And now of course, my own ADD won't let me focus on work b/c I'm too bothered by this and NEED to talk to him NOW. *sigh*

D
    D
    Wow, just found this thread a week ago and finally caught up to today. How wonderful to hear the successes and frustrating to hear of the struggles. It is nice to hear others dealing with the same issues. I mentioned to another dad at a birthday party how DS6 is complaining about being bored in K and he said we told our DS that K is for fun not learning. My son was so excited to go to school and learn at the beginning of the year. Now he says he knows everything the teacher tells him and it's boring. At least he is in the advanced math group and is in a reading group with one other boy, but the week's homework is so easy he can finish it in 15 to 20 minutes. We are really worried that when he is actually presented with a challenge he won't know what to do. Lately when he is asked to do anything near his level, he just says it's too hard. We recently had him assessed at CTY and are going to meet with his K teacher again to discuss his progress and the possibility of a grade skip to second in the fall. His latest report card indicates he is P (the highest) in almost all areas except a couple of social areas (playing well with others, waiting his turn). On the CTY form, the teacher indicated that he tends to zone out when not challenged and has some behavioral problems, but nothing of significant concern. She also said that he sometimes acts like he feels superior to the other students. Not a desirable characteristic, but understandable given his level compared to the other students in his class. I really don't want him to think he is the smartest thing around because there are plenty of kids smarter than him. I just want him in a class where he can have peers that are more on his level. We are also working on applying to a magnet program, but admission is test and lottery based for out of boundry students and based upon the attendance at the open house I went to chances are slim. The test is next weekend and we haven't discussed it with him yet. Well just wanted to say hi to the group and empathize with those of you who are struggling.

I
    I
    Welcome, DCDad43 ... and bravo to you for making your way through this thread. It's long!

Please keep us posted on your conference with the k teacher and grade skip discussion. And the magnet program ... that sounds interesting!

M
    M
    Hi everyone,

Thought I'd give you a quick update. It's been a harrowing week or so. Finally got DS6's report card after I posted last and surprise, surprise ... the teacher put the wrong reading level on the report card. Had to double back in e-mail with teacher and figure out what the problem was. She blamed it on her rush to get report cards out. Also, teacher put him as fully proficient in all of kindergarten except for 3 categories involving reading comprehension -- kinda funny considering she assessed him as reading at a 3rd grade level!

Teacher said she'd correct report card. Went in today for P-T conference, and report card was technically correct, saying he's reading above grade level. Unfortunately, we'd discussed the need to put his ACTUAL reading level on the report card particularly b/c of the magnet program application (the same one as DC Dad, by the way!). Sigh. Also, I hadn't been getting any of the math unit assessments all year, so finally saw those for the first time.

Rest of conversation with teacher actually went pretty well -- talked about his strengths and weaknesses and what he needs to work on next. Saw his writing and realized that she's not pushing him to do nearly as much as he can. There were some days he was home with me and his writing journal shows several sentences. Meanwhile, in class he only writes one sentence. That might be a function of time or it might be that I prod him to go farther than the teacher.

Teacher also made big point of how he's socially still 6. Seemed like she was trying to pre-empt any request by us to grade skip.

How did you feel about the meeting? How do you think the year is working for your DS6?

Kriston
    Page 72 of 76 1 2 70 71 72 73 74 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM