Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 71 of 76 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 75 76
    I
    I
    Fabulous SPG! Your post may trigger a bunch of relocations to St. Paul. wink

Originally Posted by inky
    Fabulous SPG! Your post may trigger a bunch of relocations to St. Paul. wink

LOL - I'm from St. Paul, but we're actually in a small district, not near enough to even be considered a suburb of the Twin Cities. But I'm sure my DS6 would love company! I don't think we'd get this positive outcome if we were in St. Paul, which is a district with a more established acceleration (which is sometimes read as "less flexible") policy.

I
    I
    SPG -
    Your news is fantastic. Please keep us updated on how it goes!!

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    SPG - that is terrific!

And DS6's school, teachers & staff are just truly amazing. They care about DS soooooooo very much, and it shows. And I do believe this is why he is doing so well, not just academically, but socially too. He received all 3s & 3+s on his report card (3 = Exceeds Expectations, 2 = Meets, 1 = Progressing). He did get a P in two areas on behavior (P is progressing), and those were listening and talking - which, his teachers (he has a co-op teacher situation) immediately followed up with it being a behavior of gifted kids - I didn't even have to say anything! And it wasn't something they were too concerned about. They told me they are truly amazed at how he learns something and takes it an applies it to the lesson or future lessons; whereas, some of the kids just don't. And they say he's fitting in GREAT socially, which is always the biggest worry.

He had a state required test in December. He got a 100% on the reading, and he got a 96.2% on the math (missing one question - a money one, which he was JUST really learning at the time). But he's well above the grade average. And it's nice because even though things come naturally to him, he has a couple of kids in his class that are close to his level (albeit a whole year older) to keep up with him, so they are able to group him with 3 other kids for certain lessons - something that couldn't have been done if he was still in K.

They also told me his Target teacher (advanced learning program - his pullout class) just loves him to pieces. She's also the one who did his acceleration testing. She always comes by the class to make sure he's doing ok with his normal class stuff too. They try to find certain things to still challenge him on, and because Target is geared 2 grades ahead, he will have that there for the most part. He was frustrated last week because he couldn't figure out how to make 16 triangles out of a collection of dots; he could only make 13. And I actually think it's GOOD that he has some things he just doesn't get right off the bat. It will help with his perfectionism too!

Anyway, that was a book. I'm just so excited for him to be in such a great environment. I know not everyone has that experience, so I feel truly lucky and blessed.

JJsmom - wow! Sounds like your kiddo has a great situation too. And he has peers for some of his school - yay!

I can relate to feeling lucky - I know we are in a special situation too.

I
    I
    JJsMom - another great report! I am so happy to read about the success of your son.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks... of course he DID have a meltdown in the library when I told him he could only buy ONE Star Wars book instead of all three (they had the book fair there). wink

M
    M
    JJ's mom: So glad to hear such a fabulous report! Glad your DS is doing so well.

M
    M
    DS6 (still not used to typing 6 instead of 5!) had his reading assessment this week. I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear what the latest assessment's at because I know I've seen another jump in his reading lately. I'll get his report card late next week and his teacher has promised me she'll put his reading assessment on his report card. They don't usually do that, but it's necessary for applying to the gifted magnet.

Plus, I take the first step in applying for the magnet on Monday!

Anyways, all this as well as reading about other kids has me wondering: How many of you have had/will have your kids officially tested? We haven't done any testing on DS6 or DS8, for that matter. I feel like thus far it's obvious he's way ahead of the other kids. Reading these boards, I also know there are plenty of kids farther along than him. Do you think it's important to do the testing? I've looked a bit into some of it and the WISC seems so pricey. Just wondering what he gets out of it by spending the money and learning officially where he ranks.

M
    M
    I guess it all depends on what you want the testing for. Both of my children did not require testing for school accommodations. DD17 has never been tested and to be honest DS was only tested after the principal rang and told me someone from the Education Department had rung and advised them "whatever you do don't lose him to the private system". He was tested so he could access programs run in the community and at university.

Page 71 of 76 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM