Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #66946 01/26/10 07:16 AM
    JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hey all. I have not been monitoring the board as much lately, mostly due to being super busy at work and life in general.

I wanted to give a brief update for all of you playing at home... Quick recap: before the winter break we had another GIEP meeting to address the mismatch between the curriculum that DS was getting and his abilities. DS is definitely gifted (no DYS IQ scores, but math achievement scores are off the charts). We presented updated achievement tests at that meeting now that he was old enough to test. They agreed to do a real CBA (curriculum based assessment) testing out of level for math. One of our biggest frustrations was that the supplemental material was haphazard and didn't align at all with what he was doing during the day.

Yesterday we had the follow up meeting. It took a long time to get this meeting scheduled. We expected that either we'd get the results of the CBA and have to argue why it wasn't appropriate for him to be doing second grade math or we'd have to point out that what they measured didn't match our independent results.

He was just shy of 90% proficient in third grade math and 63% proficient in fourth grade math. Given that they are measuring against the actual curriculum, this is pretty much what I expected from the boy. A lot of what he's learned has been very, very informal. So for example, he'd miss things like quarts/gallons conversions because all of the Murderous Maths book are metric smile

The meeting was very surprising. Not only did they present us with these results, but they had a real implementation plan. The meeting was focused on the logistics of implementing a plan where DS would be getting curriculum appropriate for him daily. Part of what took so long for the meeting is that they were planning out the individualized lesson plan. The homeroom teacher was very excited and was asking if she could start immediately (to which the admin pointed out "you can't start anything officially until the NORA is signed"). The director of pupil services came right out and said that she didn't want DS doing any second grade math because she didn't want DS to get bored, disengage and lose interest in math. Those were her words. We have our admins basically doing the advocating. (The original proposed lesson plan still had some second grade math mixed in...)

DS is going to get only the units that he didn't score proficient in, and he'll go at "his pace." I wouldn't be surprised if he's start fourth grade math by the end of Feb.

It took a long, long time (almost two years) to get to this point. I'm (maybe just a little cautiously) optimistic that we've finally gotten to where we need to be.

JB

this is great news. Is an GIEP something particular to Pennsylvania? This is exactly what I wish they would do with my son. Cat

JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    PA has in place Chapter 16 which is a framework that you have to work within to get ID'ed as gifted and that leads to a gifted IEP. It's not a perfect process (every district handles it differently) but if you are familiar with Chapter 16 it can really help with getting accommodations.

JB

Big, big shouts of joy! smile

Kriston
    That's fantastic news, JB! Your DS sounds just like mine, so
    I enjoyed reading this!

J
    J
    great news!

Great news!!!

Wow. I can foresee lots of people moving into your school district soon wink

LMom
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by JBDad
    It took a long, long time (almost two years) to get to this point. I'm (maybe just a little cautiously) optimistic that we've finally gotten to where we need to be.

Your patience and endurance are admirable. Congrats.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks everyone. However we did learn a lot on how to approach the school from all the parents that posted their experiences here. Thanks.

Paperwork has been signed and submitted so hopefully DS will start as early as today. Interestingly, the admins we're dealing with are new and not the same people we dealt with when we got early admissions to first. (The previous admins weren't necessarily unhelpful, either but things were definitely slow.)

The other nice feedback we got from both the GT and homeroom teacher was that they noted that DS has matured a lot--even since Christmas. His inschool behaviour is a lot better so he's not quite so out of synch. Or as my wife likes to say "he's normal for a second grader."

I'll keep you guys posted on our progress.

JB

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM