Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #66916 01/25/10 04:32 PM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    "Advocating for Exceptionally Gifted Young People: A Guidebook " (from Davidson website)
    This advocacy guidebook is designed for parents interested in addressing the needs of their exceptionally gifted children. It is to be used as an organizational tool and informational guide to building a strong foundation for parent advocacy efforts.

Has anyone used this? Did you find it useful for HG kids?

I'm a little all over the place these days not knowing what I should be making my priority in advocacy Prep and understanding. I've been looking at schools, reading and participating here. I have saved lots of info. printed out I need to organize. I was thinking of making a notebook of info. that really is specific or eyeopening to DS's situation. I'm waiting for the explore results too.

Is there a next step that I can get ready for as a DYS member?

W
    W
    A new voice from Wisconsin. We live in a rural area of WI that claims to have G/T services, but in reality they do not. My son took the Explorer in 4th grade and when we took the results to his teacher she said "Good for you"...not the response for which I was hoping. The school said they would "differentiate" for him, but the teachers tell me they do not know how to differentiate. Finally after years of meetings, in 6th grade the school wrote a Differentiated Education Plan" DEP for my son which the teacher signed, but NEVER IMPLIMENTED.
    Our state, WI mandates services for GT kids. Does anyone know what our rights are? The DEP was not worth the paper on which it was written.

onthegomom, did you say you have a child who is a DYS? If so, hopefully your FC can guide you to some extent with advocation.

Is your child entering school for the first time? Or is he/she already enrolled and you're thinking of advocating for him/her next year?

C
    C
    onthegomom,

Has your FC sent a letter to your dc's school/teachers to introduce themselves?

Here is a different take on advocacy and educational planning that might help you:
    http://www.malonefamilyfoundation.org/educating_plan.html

We are just in holding mode until we can find out who dd's teacher is going to be next year before we start this all over. Actually we had a written plan for the upcoming year in place with dd's school in April, but then dd did even better on end of year exams than expected. And one of the 3rd grade teachers suddenly quit after school was over. No point advocating, until they hire a new teacher...
    Chrys

Warning: sleep deprived
    Originally Posted by WI GT parent1
    A new voice from Wisconsin. We live in a rural area of WI that claims to have G/T services, but in reality they do not. My son took the Explorer in 4th grade and when we took the results to his teacher she said "Good for you"...not the response for which I was hoping. The school said they would "differentiate" for him, but the teachers tell me they do not know how to differentiate. Finally after years of meetings, in 6th grade the school wrote a Differentiated Education Plan" DEP for my son which the teacher signed, but NEVER IMPLIMENTED.
    Our state, WI mandates services for GT kids. Does anyone know what our rights are? The DEP was not worth the paper on which it was written.

Hi, WI GT parent1!

You would probably get more replies if you start a new thread. Go back to the parenting and advocacy forum and use the new topic button in the upper left corner.

Cathy

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM