Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    This has just opened my eyes to something. I used to hear this huge *THUMP* in the bathroom about 30 seconds before D2 emerged when she was a preschooler. I figured she was jumping off the counter by the sink, but I had no idea why she would be on the counter. I asked her, but she never answered. Now I am sure she was "checking" in the mirror. ROFL.

M
    M
    We are just getting there with my soon to be five year old. We have made a lot of progress in the last few months. I took all the pull ups away, didn't make a big deal, just you are old enough to wear underwear (gerber trainers). We didn't make a big deal out of accidents but refused to go back to pull ups. We also at the peds ok started him on a very small dose of Miralax so he "couldn't" get constipated by holding it. Over time we started having him change his pants, clean up the toilet, and finally him swishing the undies in the toilet. Then finally when he had skids in his undies he had to sit until he went, not as punishment, he had his leapster and v-tech and sisters running in and out with encouragement until he finally went. Now he has to sit once a day, always with something to do and try to go. He is slowly taking this over and has gone a few times on his own accord. It has been a long process. I am just glad I didn't follow the early ed. teacher who suggested punishment. mad

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Every kid's different. My sister had the same and I think it also was a issue with constipation. She actually was on medicine to help with that and that was the only way she was ever able to get potty trained. Have you tried incorporating foods that act as natural laxatives?

I'm not sure if you're planning on having any more kids but we're doing elimination communication with DD and that's been going really well. We did it primarily because we didn't want to go through the same thing my mom went through with my sister and also we got sick of DD screaming through her diaper changes. smile

We found that our little perfectionist (DD 3) was not willing to give potty training a try after having an accident and our many attempts was met with resistance. It wasn't until first taking away the pull-ups because pull-ups are glorified diapers and talking to her about the need to practice that we had a break through. And just to clarify this was no means the old idea of practice makes perfect but rather practicing helps us reach our goal. In two days she was trained as far as pee but still had issues with poop. But with the new idea of practice under her belt she was willing to sit longer on the toilet. She became seriously constipated. But (this sounds so wrong) thankfully during all of this she caught some bug and had severe diarrhea. Poor thing ... let me tell you ... having to poop a lot helped her practice A LOT and by that first day of her illness she had it down. Since then we have had no accidents and my independent child is all about doing it herself. Wiping is her thing. When I know she is pooping I always go in to check and 8 out of 10 times she has done a great job. It still shocks me how quickly she potty trained once she accepted she needed too. A week later she was fully potty trained for day and night.

As for your daughter ... it looks like you have received some great advice. I would only add that perhaps you need to eliminate the crutch of pull ups. The minute we removed them as an option our DD accepted what she needed to do.

N
    N
    It turned out to not be dietary, but low bowel motility. So she has been medicated since age 2.

What medication do you have for this? Our doctor has never used those particular words for it, but he has mentioned stuff that sounds like it would be called that. DS7 has always had poop problems and we've tried lots of things over the years. He decided that he would start wiping himself as a New Year's resolution, LOL! I like the mirror idea too--wish I could sell DH on that one.

I
    I
    I love this thread... Katelyn's Mom, I can't tell you how many times over the years I have been shocked at how quickly my D did WHATEVER once she decided she needed to! I think that is on ongoing theme for gifted kids, potty training is just the beginning.

P
    P
    My daughter did this. The doctor checked her out right at her 4th bday. She wouldn't use the potty at all. She would hold it. The doctor watched her playing for awhile and said that she was obviously very smart. The doctor took me to the side and said, " Take her home, put on undies, and tell her you aren't going to help anymore." I did as she said and my daughter was fully potty trained that night. I had to do the same when she wouldnt wipe....just tell her it was her problem. The doctor said that my daughter was smart enough to figure out that it was easier for her to act like she couldnt do it and have those issues taken care of for her. She had outsmarted me....and it wouldn't be the last time:)

B
    B
    Great topic :-) DS7 didn't have issues with going in the toilet, his issue was with wiping....he was worried he wouldn't get it all cleaned up and would refuse to even try....nothing like wiping a 6 year olds bum bum and we were afraid of other kids making fun of him...so we got the flushable wet wipes that sit by the side of the toilet...he wipes himself until he thinks he is done and then asks one of us to come do a final wipe check...in the last month or so he has gotten a million times better and I think we will be able to phase out the check routine soon! LOVE the idea of the mirror!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM