Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 62 of 268 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 267 268
    Originally Posted by Wyldkat
    Whenever we asked him to read he said that he couldn't and we responded with, "Yes you can" since we knew he could since we had caught him reading a word or two prior to this.

Why do they do this?

Mr W will go off with a book and mouth the words. When we find him, he closes the book, smiles at us, and acts like he is playing. Little stinker!

Originally Posted by Austin
    Whenever we asked him to read he said that he couldn't and we responded with, "Yes you can" since we knew he could since we had caught him reading a word or two prior to this.

Why do they do this?

Mr W will go off with a book and mouth the words. When we find him, he closes the book, smiles at us, and acts like he is playing. Little stinker!

There are probably lots of reasons they do that. But I think the biggest reason is toddlers still want to be babied. The smarter ones recognize if they can read they might be treated more like an adult and lose out on all those comforting things they are used to, and love. I read very early, but one of my favorite childhood memories is when mom tucked us into bed and read us a story. I still loved being read to when our 6th grade teacher read 'Johnny Tremain' to us in class.

Originally Posted by OHGrandma
    Originally Posted by Austin

Why do they do this?

There are probably lots of reasons they do that. But I think the biggest reason is toddlers still want to be babied. The smarter ones recognize if they can read they might be treated more like an adult and lose out on all those comforting things they are used to, and love. I read very early, but one of my favorite childhood memories is when mom tucked us into bed and read us a story. I still loved being read to when our 6th grade teacher read 'Johnny Tremain' to us in class.

Doesn't just apply to little ones. DD7 definitely downplays what she can do and even resists learning. I think she feels she can't compete with DS8 and also she LOVES being the Baby of the family. I am working really hard on trying to bring her out of this.

N
    N
    DD has only ever hidden her ability to read when she's around someone who will make a big deal about it. I don't think it's a coincidence. Right now, she's hiding her math abilities, and I'm pretty sure it's because she can sense that I'm really interested in knowing where she's at in that area. (It's just a matter of curiosity on my part, and I know I need to work on that.)

I've always treated DD as though she could read, and acted like it was totally normal, so I think there was no reason for her to hide it from me. smile I just wish I'd done the same for math. Ah well, hindsight and all that.

O
    O
    We drove past the florist shop and DD6 notice the Valentine themed window. She said "why are the Valentine decorations up?" I responded, "It's a month to Valentine's day." DD said I think they should do Lincoln Birthday 1st. My DDs birtday is on Lincoln's Birthday.

I think she needs a Lincoln book for her birthday? Anyone have a suggestion?

Originally Posted by OHGrandma

Very, very good point. Mr W loves the attention for sure.

Last edited by Austin; 01/14/10 11:19 AM.
    T
    T
    wow Amanda, they do sound similar. Now she will comment on someone's expression as in, "Did you see the expression on his face?" and will talk about a "massive pile of leaves" etc. When she tells stories with puppets she narrates things as if she is reading a story...
    (said in a cute little voice) Then the mother duck exclaimed,"Come out of the water immediately, my dear babies. Danger is approaching" Then the baby ducks all swam quickly to the shore and waddled in a perfect line to the edge of the woods where a slinky snake slithered through the mud..." she goes on and on like this and another child her age picks up a puppet and just looks at her and says "QUACK QUACK QUACK." Granted, sometimes she will just make weird animal noises and be very very silly with other children, but when she gets into her storytelling mode, I am often quite surprised at the depth of her stories and the complexity of her sentences for a three year old.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    I think she needs a Lincoln book for her birthday? Anyone have a suggestion?

My DS enjoyed the David Adler "Picture Book of..." biographies when he was young. Actually, we all enjoyed them.

http://www.davidaadler.com/the_picture_biography_series__holiday_house__9353.htm

HTH

G
    G
    DD13 got her ACT scores back and it looks as if she got a national award in English and in Composite. It's really odd though because all of her scores flip floped. When she took it in 6th grade she made DYS scores for 7th grade reading, science, and composite, but now just made it in english, math, and composite. I wonder how that happened.

O
    O
    congrats! very exciting.

Page 62 of 268 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM