Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    I had a spontaneous and nice visit with the head principal of DD's middle school (she starts middle school in the fall) and he said that acceleration for her is no problem, she just needs to get a 90% or above on the placement test for the class for which she wants credit.

I think she can place out of regular 8th grade math and start honors algebra in 6th grade. (Many non-GT, honors track kids do Algebra in 8th grade in our district, which I believe is pretty standard nationwide so this is really a two year acceleration, not three.)

My question is this: has anyone used EPGY to the end of 7th grade math and then had to satisfy a similar placement test requirement? It looks like EPGY jumps from 7th grade to Alegbra.

I have a study guide for the placement exam, also - looks like it's based solely on the TEKS (which are Texas' curriculum standards) so maybe I could also try a released 8th grade TAKS exam to see if she's ready.

I really hope this works out -- the middle school is a safe walking distance from the high school where I teach. I'm having fantasy visions that she can accelerate into my high school for math when the time comes and I'll be right there for driving her home!

Thanks in advance to anyone who has BTDT.

DD12, 7th. Dx'd ADHD/GAD. No IQ test. EXPLORE & SAT just miss DYS but suspect HG+
    M
    M
    7th in EPGY is their honors prealgebra. They cover the materials prior in grade K-6. They follow the algebra in 8th track you were mentioning. You can then move to 8th which is Introduction to Algebra but it is an additional $50 in the OE program and the regular rate for the individual program.

The released exam sounds like a good starting point. smile

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by zarfkitty
    ... that acceleration for her is no problem, she just needs to get a 90% or above on the placement test for the class for which she wants credit.

My question is this: has anyone used EPGY to the end of 7th grade math and then had to satisfy a similar placement test requirement? It looks like EPGY jumps from 7th grade to Alegbra.

I like your school's common sense approach!

We had the same agreement with our son's school for math. Score 90% on the end-of-year test and that's it. He did this for 4th, 5th & 6th at the beginning of this school year. He used ALEKS to prepare for those tests, plus a little extra help from me on specific topics that ALEKS either did not address, or where terminology was different.

He started in EPGY w/6th grade back in December. Although he satisfied the school's 6th grade requirement, EPGY goes wider & deeper than ALEKS, so it has turned out to be a great next step prior to pre-algebra through EPGY.

Our hope is to have him take pre-algebra next year (as a 6th grader), which will set him up nicely for Algebra at the high school when he starts middle school in 7th.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    M
    M
    The MS that my daughter will be attending next year has a similar "pre-algebra test-out" option in 6th grade. We just started using EPGY in Dec also, to solidify/accelerate a little at home and to place out at school next year.

In my 5th graders case, she is doing 6th grade math now in her self-contained GT school. Because of this, and because the MS just started to offer Algebra 2 on campus (vs having to travel to HS), she has the option of taking Algebra 1-Geometry-Algebra 2 for 6-8th grade. Majority of the IB kids, however, do start with pre-algebra in 6th, since they are either coming from 5th grade math and/or don't want to skip pre-algebra in order to build strong foundation for Algebra.

For EPGY, I had signed her up for 6th grade math, but given we started mid-year, and the system starts out 1/2 behind by default, she is finishing up 5th grade math now - I figured it's all good, for her to build speed, facility and plug any holes in her learning. So far, she is getting ~95% or higher in most of her strands and she is close to starting 6th. She is committed to it and tries to work on it nearly daily for 20min.

We will see how she does...I would like her to complete 7th/pre-algebra EPGY and maybe be well into Algebra by end of summer if she is to test out of a class at school all together. While I don't want her to be bored at school, I also want to make sure she is very solid and fluent in these foundational math years before "skipping". Wish us luck!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM