Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 61 of 268 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 267 268
    S
    S
    this morning I just realized that DD2 knows all her letters! I felt kind of dumb because I knew she knew about half of them...but I saw her naming a bunch this morning and DS tells me "yeah mom, she knows all of them" and then proceeded to show me by quizzing her. I was shocked (and feeling a little bad that I hadn't noticed earlier but she barely ever plays with letter stuff) She was having so much fun with it! I am surprised by this because letters and numbers aren't big interests to her like they were my DS5. He knew his letters and numbers much early because that was his thing. DD2 would rather put on a princess outfit or build something.

J
    J
    Child did a spelling test 2 grades above current grade, just for fun. 8/10. Heh smile

Discussing Charlie and the Chocolate factory with dd3, and she was describing the Violet Beauregard character, and really expressing shock about her turning into a blueberry. I said, 'You know, her name is Violet!', although I was pretty sure she would not recognize that as a color. She said, 'Yes, her name is Violet, and she turned violet!'. I asked her if she knew what violet meant, and she immediately said, yes, bluish-purple.
    Oh, and this funny thing happened yesterday - she was bugging my dh with a toy that say 1 phrase over and over. After stopping for a while she pressed the button one more time. Dh was starting to ask her to stop and she just pipes up, 'You know, according to my research, this makes NOISE!' And just cracked everyone up.

A
    A
    DD 2.9 got several 48 piece jigsaw puzzles for christmas. we knew she could do 24 piece ones by herself, but today she quickly did one of the 48 piece puzzles with absolutly no help, and she was totally goofing off during the whole time talking about snowbellies. She told me a snow belly is a belly that is covered with snow, and prehaps it would be white since snow is white. LOL. Which was totally random since the puzzle was of types of transportation LOL

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    T
    T
    My DD3 just amazes me with the words she uses casually: concentrate as in "please be quiet so I can concentrate on my activity!", taunting "why were the reindeers taunting Rudolph?", version "Do you like my version of this nursery rhyme...(then makes up a poem), flatulence "HA, sorry. That was flatulence....(wild laughter), structure "I am going to try that climbing structure" (said at the park at two to another child who looked at her blankly... and conversation "Let's sit here and have a conversation together" said at two to other children who also looked at her blankly and so on.

I
    I
    I love those Twinkle Toes. That really took me back to when my dd (now 5) really started to speak. For over a year she seemed to just be collecting nouns (bird, spoon, book) - but refused to speak in sentences. Then when she hit 22-months, she said her first real sentence, "Get her out!" (referring to her new baby sister placed in a baby seat she coveted). Less than a month later, she was spouting off sentences like, "Want to get out of the car and go to the beach with mommy and daddy."

My dd ended up with a vocabulary like your dd's. Your post reminded me of one early sentence that really struck me. She was 23-months standing by a row of occupied swings at a neighborhood park. Her eyes filled with tears (highly emotional kid) and she turned to me, lip trembling, and said, "I am waiting my turn. I am being patient." That's one I actually went home and wrote down.

A
    A
    TwinkleToes- ok seriously do we have the same kid. OMG they are so alike. DD amazes me to with her vocabulary....words like distracting as in "Daddy your TV is distracting me while I am trying to read my book. Turn it off" and attempting "Go away, I am attempting to hide." and concentrate " Be quite I am trying to concentrate on my work" and fascinated "I am fascinated by Christmas Lights" LOL. She has also done the "lets sit down on the bench and have a conversation" luckily it was me she said it too LOL. It is amazing, and other kids just look at her blanky and have no clue what she is talking about. I write down a lot of things she says because they just blow me out of the water.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    Mr W (23 mos ) and I were at the Mall over the weekend. While in line to pay for something, he was counting out loud and pointing at words on signs and saying them. The woman in front of us heard him and turned around to see him in my arms. She was clearly shocked and asked how old he was.

It is like another switch has tuned on. He will spend a long time looking at words on everything now. I got him on Starfall for reading this weekend after a long hiatus and had to drag him away after an hour. He wanted to go over the words constantly.

We took him to the movie theater to see the Princess and the Frog before Christmas. He sat enraptured all the way through the movie, laughing and saying, "Uh Oh."

He had not seen my family in a year but remembered everyone. He watched King Kong with my dad. It is the one with Naomi Watts. At the end, Kong starts to falter, and at that point, Mr W said, "Bye Bye Monkey. Bye Bye." My dad and MIL were floored.

His intensity is formidable. Sometimes he gets so upset, but we just get down to his level and tell him to use his words to tell us what he wants. This is working well.

There are a lot of bright kids in his Montessori school, and he is having a blast and cannot wait to go every morning. I just wonder how long he will be that way. I think he is six months away from being on par with all the 5 year olds.

At that point, we may have to look for a private tutor to spend time with him while at Montessori. He loves the social aspect. I wish we knew some other parents kids like him who lived near us.

This isn't precocious, but it was soooooooo sweeeeeeet!

DS8mos signed "I love" at me today. I signed "I love you" back, and he went ballistic and kissed me. Now if only we could teach him to kiss w/out TEETH wink We're having a mini-language explosion today... he also signed "bathroom" in time for me to get him there smile

Michaela

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    W
    W
    My little Bear 2.11, the one who hides what he can do academically as opposed to his brother who was happy to be put through his paces and breathed workbooks, actually read a book to me today!!! It was a one sentence a page type book and admittedly I sort of tricked him into it by starting the first few sentences and trailing off so that he would finish them, but we KNEW he could do it. Whenever we asked him to read he said that he couldn't and we responded with, "Yes you can" since we knew he could since we had caught him reading a word or two prior to this.

Not only that, but he actually did some math for me today too!!! Basic stuff, 1+1, 1-1, 3+1, but he did it out loud so I finally had proof he could.

Page 61 of 268 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM