Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    SusieQ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    A few committed folks on the east coast are putting together a preliminary plan for a school specifically for the highest level of gifted student. There will be some similar elements to what the Davidson Academy offers, specifically no age-based classes.

There will be some huge differences though. This school will be for all age kids, and while the youngest students will go to a day school, the middle school/high school age kids will have a boarding option. Also, this school will be a private!

Big industry and philanthropy will be on board to ensure enough funds to ensure that funding exists to have perhaps as much of 50% of students on a full scholarship. Also, fund raising dollars will also go to state of the art facilities, technology and faculty. There is great interest for this already.

There has been much discussion on what elements need to be in place to make this the best environment to challenge our brightest minds. I have read many of your threads and I believe that you, as parents of these children, would know what some of these elements might be.

I understand that a school just for PG kids is only the right scenario for some children and their families, and that this would not be for everyone. But for those kids who will thrive in this environment, it will make a difference in their lives and help give them the educational experience they deserve.

So I am interested in hearing all your thoughts as to what you would include in a PG school based on your experiences as a parent.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

SusieQ

Wow, SusieQ! It sounds like a dream. What is your role with the new school? Are you a parent, administrator, or philanthropist?

Where do you envision the school being? Would the financial aid be dished out based on need or ability?

My PG kids are homeschooled and they enjoy the freedom that allows. But having true peers in a brick and mortar school would be very enticing indeed.

This might not be a popular idea, but I like the practice of throwing out letter grades and giving narrative feedback to the kids. Maybe in the high school years letter grades could be assigned to generate a GPA.

I like cooperative learning and teachers who don't expect to have all the answers. My hope is that my kids will learn how to find answers and think creatively, and that they will be lifelong learners.

I am very intrigued! Please tell us more.

S
    SusieQ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Lorel,
    We are still in the quiet phase of incorporating and getting our ducks in a row, so please forgive me if I sound a bit reticent.

Yes, I am a parent, like most everyone on this forum. I am also seasoned in raising capital for worthy projects. This is something I believe in far beyond my own child's needs. My role is to get the project off the ground. Everyone loves the idea but few have the time or interest to do the work to make it happen.

We are in the process of recruiting national volunteers to get behind this project and are speaking to leaders in a variety of fields to make sure our core group is diverse. This group will surely include someone experienced in identifying and advocating for gifted children, educators experienced in teaching gifted kids, parents from different socio-economic backgrounds and geographic locations, corporate partner representatives, etc.

The proposed location is on the east coast, in an area which already attracts some of our nation's brightest minds as it is a hub for their work. The area is also blessed with a good deal of wealth and many philanthropists.

As to your questions about scholarship dollars - certainly a good amount of the available dollars will be for those who need it. The challenge is not to make this only a school for the wealthy. There is also discussion about scholarship dollars based on specific areas of talent, although all of this is in a very preliminary stage. That is why feedback from this forum will be so helpful. We have to come up with a fantastic package to sell and the details of what will make this school so special really need to be incorporated as part of the philosophy.

The comments you provided were great. Please keep them coming.

I like the ideas of more indepth classtime. I think creative electives in addition to the traditional courses would be something I would look for in a school (ie: various music or art courses)

Just out of curiousity I asked my dd7 what would make her school better and her response was for her to be able to take chemistry and other science classes without having to wait until she's older. wink hehe. She also said that she'd like to have horses on campus so you just never know what answers you'll get when you ask a question like that! haha...

I wish you luck with this endeavor!

Hi,

The upper school (middle school) where my DD attends has Wed leap day. On this day students "choose" their curriculum and are allowed to spend as long as they wish in their chosen area (art, math, science, etc). They are assigned a "mentor" from the faculty and they can work on a project in more depth.

My daughter is still in lower school, so I don't know all the details, but kids seem to like it.

What CFK said............
    I'm not the greatest at coming up with ideas, but I know a good one when I see it!!

DD7 in second grade said everyone should be learning division, but since I already know it, I will teach the class and my teacher could just sit around drinking coffee and eating Dunkin Donuts.

DD5 in K says : Mrs. xxxxx would stop bossing me around and I would be in charge of the class.

hmmmmm..................

incog - too funny! Kids are hilarious! laugh

Originally Posted by CFK
    I have a few things on my wish list for a perfect school:

You touched on this with the no age based classes, but in my perfect school, each specific subject would be scheduled at the same time for all levels, ex. Math instruction would be at 8:00am for everyone in the school. That way each student could go to the class that matches their interest and ability regardless of age or grade. The next class might be science, where again the child woud attend the class that matched their ability. After that Language Arts, and so on. Each child's stranghts and weaknesses could be accomodated for that way.

Also I would schedule large blocks of time for each subject - 2 to 3 hours instead of 55 minutes, so each topic could be studied in more depth. It might be more of a college like experience where you don't have every class every day.

And I may be alone in this, but I want my children to have a full, exciting day of learning and then come home and be able to play. I am not a beleiver in homework, even if this means a longer school day. I always hated it when I had to bring work home from the office and I don't want my children to have to do so either.

You are not alone, CFK. The school has them for 7 hours a day. That should be enough time to get everything done. Down with homework! Up with free time!

What CFK describes is pretty much my ideal scenario for academics. If the school has teachers who are skilled at both challenging kids and encouraging them to live their values--whatever the kids' values happened to be--so much the better. Really, I think the teachers matter more than anything else in a school. The bureacracy and the administrators only work as well as every classroom teacher does.

If the place had extracurricular sports and music opportunities, too, then it would be just about perfect. Oh, and school dances at the middle and high school levels. Give them the full school experience!

Sounds good. Where do I sign up?!

Kriston
    S
    SusieQ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    You make such a great point about the teachers really being the critical influence and a key factor in the success or failure of a school, any school. We recognize that we are going to need a lot of money to recruit the best faculty but finding those special educators will be tough.
    I'd love to hear about characteristics of great teachers your kids have had. Maybe this should be another thread.

Would it be possible to have weekend classes/actions for PG kids who live way too far away for a daily commute and are too young or not ready for a boarding school? I think lots of parents may be willing to travel 1.5-2 hours one way once a week, something which they couldn't do on daily basis. It would be a priceless opportunity for many more PG children than just those living close enough to attend f/t.

LMom
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM