Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    NTmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I received my DS7's CogAT test scores in the mail today from his school. They included the raw scores, UUS score, and GPR. But they didn't include the SAS. Is there a website where I can convert the UUS score to the SAS?

If it helps, here are his scores:

Verbal:
    Raw Score: 43
    USS: 204
    GPR: 99%

Quantitative:
    RS: 44
    USS: 203

Nonverbal:
    RS: 45
    USS: 210

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Hi NTmom
    I wish I knew more about this, but have you heard about 'Hoagie's Page?'

They say:
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/tests.htm#c

Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) grades K-12, ceiling = 150
    Measures reasoning abilities that are critical for success in school. Administered in a group setting. Riverside tells us that the CogAT is NOT an IQ test:
    "Q: Is CogAT an IQ test? Are SAS scores IQ scores? A: No. CogAT measures reasoning abilities. The SAS scale used on CogAT provides normalized Standard Age Scores for that fraction of the population that attends school. Although SAS scores are very helpful for professionals, nonprofessionals can confuse them with IQ scores, so they are generally not reported to parents and lay organizations." Cognitive Abilities Test� (CogAT�) Form 6
    For more on your child's results, use Riverside's Interactive Profile Interpretation System. Published by Riverside Publishing Company. Also read Cognitively Speaking, Riverside Publishing's newsletter for CogAT users, and A Short Guide for Teachers (requires Adobe Reader)

Does that help?
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    NTmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, Grinity! That is very helpful. After looking at Riverside's Interactive Profile Interpretation System, I'm wondering if the school should have provided me with a "score profile." Perhaps that would give me more ideas on how to interpret the scores?

Did other parents receive score profiles with their children's CogAT scores?

B
    B
    My school doesn't give out any of the scores. I had to go to the principal to see them and I wasn't allowed copies or anything. Crazy! Anyhow, she only gave me the 3 individual scores (quant. verb. and non .) and then the NPR. Many schools, from researching do not give out that profile score (I think they think the parents are clueless and wouldn't understand it. All's you need to do is go to their website and plug in the profile and voila!) I wasn't given the stnadard age score either and we were 99% too. THey probable didn't want to tell me that either wink

NTmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you so much for your insights, Dottie. I was hoping you might see my post! smile You always have such great information.

And yes, you guessed correctly that he took the Level 2 test. I believe that the Level 1 test is usually given to children through 1st grade. But fortunately the tester at the school decided to give DS7 the Level 2 test, even though he is still in 1st grade. Do you think that plays into what his SAS would be?

NTmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks so much for all your help, Dottie. You are such an incredible asset to this forum!

I
    I
    I really don't want this thread to have to rise from the grave, but since Dottie's posts were deleted and I need an answer I'm bumping this after 4 years. I'm in the same boat as the OP and judging by the happy replies I assume there is a way to convert. Thank you for any help.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations