Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    C
    CAMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I just wanted to share a very positive experience we've had with DS's school, because we've struggled like many here to find a good fit with a school that understands.

We moved DS from a private "gifted" school last year (total disaster!!!), to a public charter school this year. He's 6 1/2 and in 1st grade. The switch moved him from being one of the youngest in the class to one of the oldest and really out of whack with peers, due to an August 1st vs. December 1st cutoff for schools.

The nuts and bolts are that he started 1st grade working 2-3 grade levels above. His teacher recognized this immediately and tried to do what she could in the space and time given. However, she was also the designated teacher for all the low performing kids and was forced to dedicate a LOT of time to them. DS had become the class helper, was reading sometimes a book a day in class in his free time and at least 80% of his day was wasting time.

At our parent teacher conference in Nov, his teacher said she'd done all she really could do and we needed to take it to the administration to see about subject acceleration. We had a meeting a week and a half ago to see about moving him up for math.

Surprisingly enough, I asked for the subject acceleration and hinted at a grade skip in the long run. His teacher jumped all over the idea and recommended an immediate move to 2nd grade AND into the GATE cluster so that he'd be even closer to finding peers. We were stunned. I had copies of so much acceleration research to show them, expecting a fight. The principal even agreed, on the spot, that if they could resolve some financial issues due to class-size funding and if the school psych gave it a green light, it was a good idea.

One week post meeting, DS will be moving to 2nd grade full-time in January after break. He is ecstatic, eager to do his vacation homework and to get going on "real math".

Sometimes, all that really matters is a teacher who sees the whole picture, knows it's not an insult to her teaching and really and truly advocates for your child. We couldn't be happier and we're delighted that the public school jumped at the opportunity to accommodate!

Just wanted to throw out some warm fuzzies because it's been a long road of frustration to get to this point and I know others are sitting there wondering if they'll ever find the right place with the right people to make it work.

Congrats! This is wonderful news for all of us in CA trying to find an appropriate educational environment for our children.

Thanks for sharing.

C
    C
    That's awesome!! I'm thrilled for your DS especially since he is so excited smile

That is great! The skip to 2nd will help, but I'd tone down his expectations of doing 'real math' in 2nd.

K
    K
    Congratulations! That's great. Sometimes 1 teacher who gets it really can make all the difference in the world.

C
    CAMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by OHGrandma
    That is great! The skip to 2nd will help, but I'd tone down his expectations of doing 'real math' in 2nd.

Very true OHG! However, this teacher tries really hard to make it interesting and turn it into a puzzle. I was looking yesterday at a sheet DS was quite excited to do because it had a secret decoder :-) She has them doing 4 digit addition and subtraction, but each number corresponded with a shape. So you had rectangle - triangle = then you had to find the right numbers to put in. The back half was rectangle - (blank)= 2345 and you had to figure out what went in the blank.

That was puzzling enough for the short run! The math wasn't hard, but the puzzle was good! Far better than 5+2=? and show your work on a number line please.

J
    J
    FABULOUS!!!

Sometimes, all that really matters is a teacher who sees the whole picture, knows it's not an insult to her teaching and really and truly advocates for your child.
    And amen to that! DS6 has one of those too! smile

Originally Posted by CAMom
    Originally Posted by OHGrandma

Very true OHG! However, this teacher tries really hard to make it interesting and turn it into a puzzle. I was looking yesterday at a sheet DS was quite excited to do because it had a secret decoder :-) She has them doing 4 digit addition and subtraction, but each number corresponded with a shape. So you had rectangle - triangle = then you had to find the right numbers to put in. The back half was rectangle - (blank)= 2345 and you had to figure out what went in the blank.

That was puzzling enough for the short run! The math wasn't hard, but the puzzle was good! Far better than 5+2=? and show your work on a number line please.

Those are great, it sure helps keep the mind occupied.

B
    B
    That's wonderful, CAMom! I'm so glad to hear that! laugh
    Thank you for sharing the inspiring success story. I think I'll probably be expecting a huge fight myself soon..

Good luck!

A
    A
    That's fantastic! DD11 has also been in a small school with great teachers who "get" her. It makes all the difference. Congratulations to you, DS AND the school.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM