Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #63869 12/12/09 08:10 PM
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi,

I have written here before about my son who appears to be both gifted with LD issues or alternatively an underachiever for an undiagnosed reason. He is now 9 yrs 8 months. At 8 yrs 5 mths he was tested on the WISC and a full scale IQ was not reported due to the huge discrepancy between working memory/processing speed and verbal/performance indices, in particular -
    Working Memory 44th percentile
    Processing Speed 75th percentile
    Verbal Indice 98th percentile
    Performance Index 99th percentile.
    His GAI was reported from memory at 142 or 144. At the same time a WIAT was done in which he came up substantially lower in all areas. The lowest was spelling at the 14th percentile. The highest was maths, but even that was only average at 55th percentile. His reading was tested and showed -
    Reading Fluency - 8 yrs 2 mths
    Reading Comprehension 8 yrs 1 mth
    At this time, the psych thought he was either a strong visual spatial learner or was potentially gifted dyslexic. He certainly shows dyslexic tendencies in his writing which is his worst area.
    Fast forward to now - at 9 years 8months - where he is tested for his reading again (same test but administered by experienced special needs teacher) and his spelling. The following were the results-
    Spelling - 44th percentile
    Reading Fluency - 8 yrs
    Reading Accuracy - 8 yrs 9 months (not sure why reading accuracy not reported first time)
    Reading Comprehension - 12 years 7 months.
    Obviously I am happy about this positive news re his comprehension. I guess what I was wondering is whether anyone has seen such a leap in a reading comprehension score (with no leap in other areas!!) with someone with his profile (ie. possibly dyslexic)? If so, how you have helped such a child to continue improving achievement. The also tester told me that he was still scoring at a very high level in reading comprehension (and she expects could have gone further) but she could not test this further as had reached the stop point on reading accuracy. She also said that he answered the questions very quickly and confidently and had little trouble with that part of the test. One further thing he has mentioned to me is that he cannot read properly (silently) when there is any noise at all around him. He tells me he cannot concentrate and understand the text if there is other noise - even slightest.
    If anyone has any comments/suggestions at all, I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Tiz

Originally Posted by Tizz2008
    One further thing he has mentioned to me is that he cannot read properly (silently) when there is any noise at all around him. He tells me he cannot concentrate and understand the text if there is other noise - even slightest.
    If anyone has any comments/suggestions at all, I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Tiz
    Has is Auditory Processing been checked? (CAPD?) Above sounds suspicious for that. May link to reading problems with Stealth Dyslexia?

Do you see the lower working memory and processing speed in daily life?

Has he been checked for ADHD or ADD?

What did the tester suggest?
    Best Wishes (wish I had more for you)
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks Grinity

Yes, you could be right re the auditory and I think I will go ahead with that testing process so we know. The special needs teacher thought that it was perhaps more 'attention' related although she did not rule out dyslexia as he is showing a spiky profile. He has not been checked for either ADHD or ADD - perhaps I should get to the bottom of it so I can help him as this must be so frustrating for him - he turned from relatively good behaved (although daydreamy) to a class clown/ distractor by the end of the year.
    Thanks again for your help Grinity! By the way, his younger sister is attending another school next year which I am hoping should accomodate/suit her better! Tiz

I'm glad you've found something to try for your DD.
    Does your DS read at home?
    Do you see any behaviors that might be related to the scores?
    What does he like to do for fun?
    Keep searching!
    Grinity

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Google "stealth dyslexia" and see if it describes what you're seeing.

I wouldn't spend money on an auditory processing evaluation just yet. I think if you're going to get an evaluation, someone who specializes in 2E kids and who has a particular interest in dyslexia would be helpful.

Our son had an auditory processing evaluation and all it did was tell me what I already knew: he has auditory processing deficits.

H
    H
    Hi Tizz2008, I see a lot of this in my DS7 too. His comprehension is up there when someone else reads to him. He struggles reading out loud and skips around a lot. He was diagnosed with tracking issues which we are working on. He also cannot tune out background noise which makes 'school' really difficult. We were told by a neurologist (who seemed to really understand gifties) that he is most likely experiencing asynchronous development. I hope it all evens out soon. I also wonder about 'stealth dyslexia' versus 'visual spatial' or both. He draws pictures always instead of words and his spelling is well...

It's so hard to watch them struggle when they are so smart. The Neurologist also said his brain is moving much faster than his senses (eyes,ears and hands) can keep up hence the struggles.

HTH and you find some solutions that help you.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks everyone. Well I read up on the stealth dyslexia and it does sound remarkably like him. HIs writing is the worst and Eide says this is so often the case. I am just hoping that he is a 'late bloomer' to some extent and things get easier as he gets older - this may be false hope!!!

R
    R
    hi tiz
    I am struggling wtth a lot of the same questions with my DS7 and we're also considering testing for CAPD.. but i wanted to add that i don't think that score spread is unusual in the gifted population. One of the things i read recently was this WISC technical report...http://www.pearsonassessments.com/hai/Images/pdf/wisciv/WISCIVTechReport3.pdf...
    Here you'll see that when children identified as "gifted" were given the WISC they got average PSi and WMI scores about 10-15 points lower than their VCI and PCI. Both the 44th and 75th percentiles are in normal range so i'm surprised (or confused) why you did not get a FSIQ for him. I bet it would still be pretty strong. Bright kids are not necessarily speedy. My son got only an 83 on Processing Speed INdex (i think that was the 4th percentile!!) and still ended up with respectable yet deflated FSIQ of 119 with GAI 139.. .I'd love to know (being a budding score geek and all) when a psychologist should not report a FSIQ... or is it just a judgment call?

T
    OP Offline
    T
    In relation to the non-reporting of the FSIQ - the psychologist told me verbally that it averaged out to 128. HOwever, she felt that this did not give a true representation of his high cognitive ability (verbal and non-verbal) as opposed to a comparative weakness in working memory and processing speed. She felt the spread was significant and reporting the FSIQ was perhaps misleading as to both the stronger and the weaker areas. She said that she would provide it if absolutely necessary. Thanks for all your great advice/input. I must admit he is a lot more interested in reading now than he has been in the past, so I will continue to encourage that and see what happens...

Originally Posted by Tizz2008
    I must admit he is a lot more interested in reading now than he has been in the past, so I will continue to encourage that and see what happens...

Now that's some great news! I hope that it continues!
    Enjoy!
    Grinity

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM