Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 60 of 268 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 267 268
    Just a funny note since we are talking computers. DS8 talks a lot. The other day he was playing a role playing game online that allows you to chat with other users and I could hear the keys chattering away. I went and sat and watched and he even talks(types) non-stop while he is playing the computer game! It totally cracked me up. Whatever drives him to talk is not inhibited by the keyboard.

W
    W
    Bear was assessed this morning for the tantrums and sensory issues he has and of course he was a perfect angel, didn't let them see the demon baby, but that's not the brag...

The assessor is coming back next week because in the cognitive section he "surpassed everything she had brought with her." They were also very impressed with his imagination. At least we aren't fooling ourselves about him being smart!

Last edited by Wyldkat; 12/11/09 10:37 PM. Reason: spelling is not my friend
    DS6 was reading the menu that was posted on the board at the little place we go to for lunch sometimes. I was at the counter doing our order. There was a man and a woman listening to him and commented on his reading when I walked over to our table (really small place) I thanked them and the man said to DS "you must really like to read" to which DS said "It ok, but math is better." Poor man should have known when to quit... He asked DS what he was learning in math and that was all it took for DS to launch into this whole dissertation of scientific notation and algebraic functions and on and on and on.

The look on their faces was priceless. Thank heaven the guy didn't ask about science. LOLOL I definitely don't have a low profile kiddo!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Less a brag, more a funny...

DS8 was working on the Plato Physical Science curriculum today, and they were dealing with the elements. He said--with a gleam in his eye--"I'm going to list off all the elements I can think of: hydrogen, helium, surprise..."

I was tickled! laugh

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Less a brag, more a funny...

DS8 was working on the Plato Physical Science curriculum today, and they were dealing with the elements. He said--with a gleam in his eye--"I'm going to list off all the elements I can think of: hydrogen, helium, surprise..."

I was tickled! laugh

Hahaha, brilliant! That element of surprise is a tricky one to remember. :P

The weirdest thing....

My son has been tinkering for the past several days with something that he's not sure he wants me to see. He keeps saying it's not right yet, it's not finished etc. He told me he'll let me see it when it's done.

Last night I was cleaning off his desk putting stuff away and came across his "tinkering". I think my son is "discovering" Pascal's triangle for himself. To the best of my knowledge he hasn't been exposed to it yet. There are lines and numbers all over the page that have been erased several times. How I ever ended up with such a "mathy" kid?

There are times when he really does scare me......

Shari
    Kriston,

The element of surprise! Took me a minute, I admit it. LOL

Last edited by BWBShari; 12/17/09 01:34 PM.

Shari
    V
    V
    mine is in third grade and just picked up a moh's hardness scale and used it to determine minerals. as far as i know that isn't even intoduced until grade 6. how did he do it.

O
    O
    [quote=BWBShari]Last night I was cleaning off his desk putting stuff away and came across his "tinkering". I think my son is "discovering" Pascal's triangle for himself. To the best of my knowledge he hasn't been exposed to it yet. There are lines and numbers all over the page that have been erased several times. How I ever ended up with such a "mathy" kid? quote]

I have no idea what that is. How did you know what this is if your not Mathy? He sounds amazing.

My kids have figured some math ahead of school too and it's kinda strange. Why are they even thinking about it? It's like math is developmental like naturally learning to walk. But walking is something they see done.

Last edited by onthegomom; 12/21/09 01:54 PM.
    O
    O
    He was in basketball for 2 years outside of school but they didn't play games. 3rd Grade is the 1st year for basketball at DS's school.

*******************Today was 3rd game of the basketball season and DS just scored his first shot!*********************

Wow did that feel great and his team mates really were excited for him. There is something special for him being part of this team with his class mates. This one shot is a big boost to his confidence. I feel very thankful.

Page 60 of 268 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM