Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Mag #64178 12/16/09 10:54 AM
    Originally Posted by Mag
    Yet, I have not heard any criticism for parents who are making their children practice sports 2-3 hours per day. Is this consider a double standard? crazy

Yup. A lot of Asian kids spend 2-3 hours a day studying while little johnny is playing sports. Little johnny gets to sweep floors for a living while the other kids become doctors and nurses.

That's a great double standard to strive for.

If people logged the time their kids spend doing academics vs sports, they would be shocked.

Mam #64181 12/16/09 11:26 AM
    Originally Posted by Mam
    Mulit-age classrooms can be good for many kids for a variety of reasons, but this is not it.

I agree, multi-age classrooms can be great, but when they are great each child's curriculum is differentiated. They are not all required to do the same work. Unfortunately, this style of multi-age classroom just sets the younger students up for failure or at least unrealistic expectations. It's very frustrating, especially for parents of gifted children because our little ones usually ARE the youngest in the class.

Gifted Mom #64183 12/16/09 11:31 AM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Gifted Mom
    I think red shirting does muddy the water for gifted kids. DS5 is in first grade with children 1-2 years older. While we have been pushing for math acceleration (DS finished first grade math last year), his teacher often comments that DS is no different from his classmates and that she has a number of "mathy" kids. Frankly, I think there is a difference between my 5 year old who needs second grade math and a 7 year old who needs second grade math (and rightly could be in second grade). I don't think it's fair to compare a gifted 5 year old with a ND 7 year old and say they both need the same thing. DS5 learns math at a quicker pace and has a deeper understanding of the concepts, which requires a different approach than a ND kid. Also, these ND kids didn't sit through a whole year of first grade math last year, which is another story.

My point (as others have also made) is that red shirting affects the academic climate along with the whole emotional maturity piece.

I agree. This played out substantially in my DD's PS experience. She started K as a 4 year old. There were many in her class 6 turning 7 at the start of the school year.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    JenSMP #64188 12/16/09 11:37 AM
    L
    L
    I agree. Besides, a multi-age classroom planned as such, is self-defined, so emotional, social, academic and broader physical ability levels, are expected. I think knowing this is so important. Not only class teachers, but adults who come into contact with the kids through-out the school day, need to be aware of the wide age differences in age of many same Grade children.

Gifted Mom #64218 12/16/09 01:35 PM
    P
    P
    The red-shirters we know are about equally split between people who's motives I agree with (neighbor with 4 year old, academically nearly ready but unable to even manage preschool emotionally/socially) and people I don't (sportsy parent of 2 year old who says mid-year birthday boy is not going til 6, irrespective of his academic and social readiness).

But perhaps single age classrooms are just a blip on the history of education anyways? Seems like prior to 70 or 80 years ago most US kids would have been small town or rural living and would have gone to small elementary schools where progression was all based on skill and content mastery, not on age. If not for sports it seems like a return to that wouldn't be all that bad. Perhaps what the US needs is a separation of sports and state.

Polly

Austin #64223 12/16/09 01:54 PM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Austin
    Originally Posted by Mag
    Yet, I have not heard any criticism for parents who are making their children practice sports 2-3 hours per day. Is this consider a double standard? crazy

Yup. A lot of Asian kids spend 2-3 hours a day studying while little johnny is playing sports. Little johnny gets to sweep floors for a living while the other kids become doctors and nurses.

That's a great double standard to strive for.

If people logged the time their kids spend doing academics vs sports, they would be shocked.

This would be a great place to scan in the cartoon on my fridge. The one about the two kids playing baseball, one from Asia and one from Michigan. They discuss their summer break and in the end the Michigan boy asks the other what he's going to be when he grows up. The Asian boy answers, "your boss..." definately a double standard.

Last edited by melmichigan; 12/16/09 01:54 PM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    melmichigan #64225 12/16/09 01:59 PM
    L
    L
    Polly - separation of School and State. Not as crazy as it sounds. Plenty of countries don't allow sports to dominate school life.

CAMom #64226 12/16/09 02:01 PM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by CAMom
    The term red-shirting around my area doesn't really have anything to do with kids close on the border or near the age level. It's used for kids who are far beyond the age level who have been held back, primarily for sports reasons.
    That's pretty much the group of older kids that wind up with that label (redshirted) here, too. However, it seems to be more for academic reasons than sports reasons where I live. The oldest kids are often the ones who are identified as gifted by teachers and tracked accordingly very early on.

We have a 5 by 9/15 or 5 by 10/1 cut-off depending on which district you are in locally. Dd#2 has a 9/27 bd & started in the 10/1 district then moved to the other. So, she is naturally the youngest in the class. She started K about a month before her 5th bd. There are kids in her current class who turned 7 by the middle of kindergarten. One of these kids who comes to mind is recognized as really bright, is being subject accelerated for math and goes to the GT reading class. Maybe she is gifted or maybe she should just be a 5th grader (and not even a younger end 5th grader) rather than a 4th grader this year.

My kids have bds right at the cusp where we could have waited a year to start them. I don't know that it would have given them an unfair advantage to do so b/c they wouldn't have been outrageously older than their grade peers had we waited. However, IMHO there should be a really, really good reason to wait to start your child in kindergarten until s/he is nearly 7 and not just he's shy or you want him to be the best athlete b/c he'll hit puberty first.

Like others have said, if it is a choice that is made by a small # of families due to personal circumstances, it really isn't an issue that tends to get the rest of us all riled up. However, when it becomes the status quo and your child is then 1-2 yrs younger than the rest of the class b/c so many kids were held out that extra year, normal developmentally appropriate behavior gets pathologized. And kids who are gifted but also a lot younger tend to get overlooked for enrichment in favor of kids who are achieving highly b/c they are a lot older.

Polly #64227 12/16/09 02:01 PM
    Originally Posted by Polly
    Perhaps what the US needs is a separation of sports and state.

LOL! laugh

Kriston
    lulu #64230 12/16/09 02:24 PM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by lulu
    Polly - separation of School and State. Not as crazy as it sounds. Plenty of countries don't allow sports to dominate school life.

I had absolutely no idea that this sort of thing went on. Australia is renowned for being "sports mad" and generally or should I say just about always values its athletes over academics in adult life. Ironically this isn't the case at school, they are pretty much on a par. We don't have "red shirting" here and I really feel for you guys and the challenges it presents. As if the journey through school with GT kids isn't hard enough!eek

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM