Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Ah I get it. Thanks for the clarification! So it's only looking at the charts ie comparing DC to OTHER gifted kids which took the test the previous year, where DC lands might change from year to year depending on the cohort for that year. Now it's coming back to me lol.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 12/11/09 07:41 PM.
    Q
    Q
    The SCAT scores have been a surprise for us, too. My DS hates math, claims he's not good at it, but both years his math scores outshone his verbal scores. Last spring, he got award levels in both, but his math was up there. confused Go figure... I think we're done with the SCAT, although I like how easy it is to get it done. He heard about the STB at the awards ceremony though and asked if he could take that one. He actually WANTS to take that one. So we'll go for it when he's old enough.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by kcab
    1st eta: oh! they're up on-line already...OK, I'm NOT discounting his verbal score (43/50, scaled to 453). yeah, sure, he's average....

Kcab, I've seen several people mention that the scores were "up on-line already." Our son took the SCAT this week... where "on-line" do we find the scores?

This is his first SCAT... so we do not have a CTY login yet -- it that what I am missing?

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    K
    K
    I got our CTY login in the mail previous to getting scores in the mail. I think it took about a week after taking the test to get the login info.

Last edited by kimck; 12/12/09 07:04 AM.
    D
    D
    Thanks for the info.

I guess I'm waiting patiently for either the MyCTY login info or the scoring report -- whichever comes first.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Q
    Q
    btw, I think the top score on the math SCAT the year my DS took it and at his level was 50/50. Not sure about the verbal. Also, I'm glad this thread was started. I never bothered to really look at the info they sent with the scores (I just wanted him to qualify for courses) and all this time I thought the scores showed the percentile compared to national norms for typical kids two grades up, not percentile compared to other CTY talent search kids. Guess I never really thought about it. Although now that I know, I'm not sure it changes anything.

Last edited by questions; 12/12/09 11:51 AM.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by questions
    all this time I thought the scores showed the percentile compared to national norms for typical kids two grades up, not percentile compared to other CTY talent search kids.
    I thought so, too! shocked

So, "xx percentile compared to Grade 5" means that the score was compared to the scores of 5th graders who participated in the CTY talent search in the past? Not the typical 5th graders?
    I'm sorry, I'm still little confused..... My DS whose math score was 50/50 certainly didn't get his abilities from me!

Last edited by Botchan; 12/12/09 02:27 PM.
    Q
    Q
    I think it's compared to CTY third graders who all took the same 5th grade test. But what do I know, lol?

N
    NJMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    My understanding is that the percentiles DO compare the student to the norming sample of regular kids, two-years ahead of the student, and NOT to the talent search participants of the same grade. This raises the interesting question of when the test was last normed. I suspect that this may be part of the cause for the excessively high percentiles. At least in math, many subjects are now covered (at least superficially at an earlier grade level).

Also, while they don't have percentiles comparing the student to the other CTY talent search participants of the same grade level, you could sort of figure it out from the charts. This wouldn't be completely accurate, however, because the charts are for the CTY talent search participants from a PREVIOUS year. Still, it would give you a general idea of where they would fall.

And please, everyone, correct me if I'm wrong about this stuff.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by kcab
    It's confusing because there are also mean and SD available on the charts that show up next to the tables - the tables and charts represent talent search kids. (I'm pretty sure, anyway!) But the percentiles given on the score report are against kids that are actually in the grade for which the test is designed.

Ah! I see! It makes sense now. Thanks.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM