Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 67 of 76 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 75 76
    E
    E
    I hope your principal will see the light soon.

No fun for Mom or ds to dread school everyday.

Last edited by EastnWest; 12/08/09 10:55 AM. Reason: typo
    E
    E
    Hello -

My update is that the tide is turning...

ds5.5 did not want to go to school this morning. Still likes his friends, sports, etc. but I think he is growing weary of the "academic" stuff.

ds: Why do I have to go to school?
    me: To have fun and learn things.
    ds: I already know what they are going to teach me. And I don't want to learn it again.

sigh. I hope we will be able to advocate for him at his new school...

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    **waves** Hello all! I've been entirely too busy for words. frown

But thought I'd come try to catch up a bit!

Also - the GT teacher at DS's school pulled me aside Saturday (winter festival). DS has officially made it into Target! smile And his 1st grade teacher stated that she loves having him in class. She's impressed on how he grasps concepts and applies them elsewhere with ease. She calls him her model student (thank GOD he's in 1st now!!!!).

Anywho, happy holidays to you all, and hopefully I will find real time to catch back up with all of you!

Woo Hoo, JJsMom! That's phenomenal- what a relief!

Mom to DYS-DS6 & DS3
    G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    OK - just given an appointment to meet with GD5's Play Therapist tomorrow. It's funny - I've been looking forward to talking to her but now I'm getting nervous (part of my personality I guess). I just want to take full advantage of this opportunity. She said the "session" would last 45 minutes and we would just "chat". DD says she mostly just talks and asks questions. I feel like I should make some notes/lists of questions etc. but why didn't I do it sooner? Hopefully my brain will unfreeze later today. Crazy, right?

If you have time prior to the appointment, write down your biggest concerns, questions, etc. That way you'll at least have something to get the "chat" started. I'm sure once you are there it will be fine. In fact, you'll probably run out of time!

Anxious to hear what insight she gives you!

Mom to DYS-DS6 & DS3
    G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    Thanks, Sittin pretty. I'm sure I'll end up with a bigger list than I'll have time for as you say. Just having a little momentary trepidation. I'll feel you all in - hope there's something constructive to report.

E
    E
    GM5 -

How did the appointment go?

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    EastnWest - The appointment went OK. The play therapist asked me to talk about GD5 an then asked me some questions about how I handle certain situations. She seemed to like most of my answers but gave me suggestions for others. She basically does not seem to think GD has ADHD or anything but some "learned behaviors". She said GD was "one smart cookie" and "capable of a lot of things". Her goal is to try to help GD learn to "feel empowered to handle things for herself" including her current fears. She says GD may be one of those round pegs that won't really fit into a square hole (or something like that). She really thinks she would do better in a private school that would let her learn at her own pace. But Play Therapy seems to be a very slow (and expensive) process and it's yet to be seen if it will help any (at least with school). Neither DD or myself is sure this is going to make a difference but DD will take her again next week.

On another note though, we did find out this week that unknown to us, GD was given the Naglieri Non-Verbal Ability Test just a few days after the other kids took it and her results will come in with the other kids from her school. Not back yet. It will be interesting to see how she did on this first screening test.

This week she got in trouble for saying the answers to tests out loud. Don't know why she did that. DD says maybe she thought if she gave the other kids the answers, they could finally move on! I looked at the math curriculum for the rest of the year and it's a joke! And her teacher hasn't even given reading assessments for her class yet. Just glad there's only one week left before Christmas break.

I was sorry to hear that your new school does not look promising so far - hopefully they'll do some differentiation for your son. Wish GD's school would.

E
    E
    yes. on all counts.
    smile
    differentiation for the kids and hooray for the break!

Maybe the play therapy will be good for you and your DD as it could give you some tools to use later. As in, techniques to help the two of you help your GD "unlearn" some of those behaviors... and hopefuly the school will cooperate by providing a healthier environment to learn in.

Good luck!

Page 67 of 76 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM