Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Here's what the letter said concerning private testing.

"Should you seek private testing, that would be at your own expense but the information may be considered as a part of the screening process to determine if further evaluations are warranted. However, assessments and evaluations administered and used to determine eligibility are to be administered by personnel employed and under the supervision of [school system]. Therefore, while you may seek private testing at your own expense, the results of that testing would only be used as a part of the screening process and not for determining eligibility for gifted services."

I think it's ridiculous that a kid with a 130+ on a privately administered assessment must then be tested again by their people. At this point, I guess private testing isn't worth it. On the other hand, they're going to decide whether to give her more testing based on a 10 minute screener? Yes, I do think it's a control issue.

She will get in eventually, whether it's through the screener and more testing or the OLSAT. It's just not going to be easy. I guess that's the price we pay for being in such a large school system that serves so many kids.

C
    C
    I was told that our public school would not accept private scores because the expense makes them discriminatory against those who cannot afford them. It took me three years to have my daughter tested

Ann Offline
    Pink - "[T]hey're going to decide whether to give her more testing based on a 10 minute screener?"

I don't see how it's possible to assess a child in such a short period of time. Talk about unfair.

Calizephyr - "It took me three years to have my daughter tested."

WOW!!! Boy do I feel naive.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM