Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    During the past year I have read quite a bit of gifted literature and in one book (I wish I could cite it but I don't remember which one it was in.) I read a letter from a teacher to other teachers. The point of the letter was to advocate for PG kids. She argued how these kids do not show up in your classroom very often and when they do it is a once in a career opportunity. An opportunity for the teacher to be a part of the child's journey. She talked about her student who came into her life and the struggle for both of them but the amazing journey it was. It was a very heart touching letter and not that I'm saying this is what your DD's teacher was saying because we weren't there with you ... but perhaps she/he is excited for the opportunity to be apart of your child's journey. And if that is the case, this will be a teacher that will bend and search for ways to open the path for your DD so she has the opportunities to really learn.

Just the optimistic view.

I think you are referring to an article in the "High IQ Kids" book; or at least I read one that sounds like it there. It was a really refreshing take from the teacher's perspective.

Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
    Originally Posted by Chrys
    DD is only 7. She is worried about being revealed because she doesn't want anyone to be jealous. Do I take that into consideration too?

As far as I'm concerned there is no need to even think for a minute beyond this. It should be done. And, that's even if you 100% love and trust every single person at her school and want to help them. Your daughter should be allowed to say she's not interested and that should be the end of it.

I had a similar thing happen to me at the junior college where I went as an adult. It was unnerving to overhear some of the things, even though they were praises.
    I'd talk to them and ask them to consider your daughters feelings on this.

Originally Posted by Kriston
    Is it possible that the "once in a career opportunity" comment was referring to how highly gifted your DD is, not to the GT coordinator herself in any career-making sense? In other words, is it possible that she innocently meant that it's once in a career that someone--who is excited about smart kids!--gets to work with someone THAT smart? I would take that as a good thing, not a bad thing.

Frankly, I have a hard time believing that a GT coordinator is going to get anything much out of a GT child career-wise. An academic paper or two, maybe. But one child does not offer much that's useful in terms of research, no matter how gifted she is.

The PR issue is more troubling to me. If the school doesn't understand that there are some HUGE pitfalls for a child going down that road, and doesn't consult EXTREMELY closely with you before acting, I'd be very concerned.

Be careful what you sign!

I agree with all of this. I've been teaching for two years and I've already taught a couple of kids I would refer to as "once-in-a-career opportunities", though I might not choose those words. Most of the kids who walk in the door, like most adults you meet, are basically interchangeable - oh, they have distinct personalities that can make them wonderful to work with (or not), but if you'd never met them, you wouldn't be any the lesser for it. But then along comes one that will change the way you think and teach forever, one you can look back on and say "I did something important working with that one". That could very well be what this teacher meant.

As for the school using your daughter to publicize things...gifted kids too often feel like their abilities are something to be ashamed of, or that they'll be a bad person if they "show off". It could be good for your daughter to see that some people appreciate how special she is. That said, if she's uncomfortable, the answer's no. You wouldn't use an adult's story and image without their consent (or at least you shouldn't, unless they're famous), so why use a child's?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM