Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 95 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I had a meeting with the middle school today. The counselor was very nice. She pulled out all the textbooks for me to see what the sixth graders are using. None of it will work, my DD10 is passed all of it and it appear is finishing the middle school curriculum this year. It doesn't sound favorable for any kind of additional advancement in classes, except maybe foreign languages since that is an exploratory class, not a core. I hate to say it but I think I am done advocating for this child with this school district, at least until we look at her "chronological" junior and senior years. Then they can be forced to pay for CC classes if she takes one class at the high school. They generally don't get it and those that do have their hands tied by the big guys at the top and all the budget cuts, etc. The counselor was honest and said that I should look elsewhere. In some ways it's a relief. Especially if it means I don't have to listen to one more "socialization" speech, however nicely given. wink

Last edited by melmichigan; 12/01/09 09:46 AM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    J
    J
    I'm just about right there with you Melissa. So you'll just homeschool her in everything?

I feel your pain, Melissa and I think you are doing the right thing. I haven't had to deal with school for my gifted son, he has never been to school, but for my older son (who isn't biologically his brother and has ADHD), we had the hardest time getting a fitting IEP for him, I couldn't imagine trying to do it with a child who is working way above the norm.

BTDT, and I really felt sad about it. I had flashes of anger and resentment, too, but mostly I felt 1) happy and very, VERY relieved to find a better fit and to know that my son's hard time was over, and 2) sad that the dream I had of DS8 succeeding in the public school system was over. There's definitely a mourning period.

Hang in there. Talk to us if we can help. smile

Kriston
    I was sad as well when the "grand plan" blew up in our faces. In hindsight, things are great but at the time.... We're all here if you need us.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I am sad. You always think of your child at graduation with all the other kids, from the same school my DH and I graduated from. Now that picture is changing. At the same time I am so thankful that we are in a position for me to be able to HS.

I will just homeschool her for all her subjects beginning spring semester. I haven't talked to the school yet and will wait a little, have to check how much notice I have to give in my state. I registered her for the MCT class on online G3. She is doing so well with her other subjects I am hoping this will work and still give her some interaction with other kids as far as topic discussions and that type of thing. They will still have to give her speech services according to her IEP, and in my state, non core electives if we so choose.

O
    O
    I can understand that your sad but congrats to you for finding another way. What is the MCT class?

M
    OP Offline
    M
    MCT is Michael Clay Thompson http://www.rfwp.com/mct.php It's a language arts curriculum for gifted and talented students. smile

C
    C
    I know how you feel. The local schools here only offer 1 hour/week of pull out for gifted kids. frown My ds reads at about an 8th grade level (I am awaiting test results) and blows me away with his knowledge for such a little guy of soon to be 8 smile
    I am grateful that I have had the option to enroll him in a public cyber charter school and currently it is meeting his needs. If it ever ends up not meeting his needs, then I will not hesitate to home school. I think that all the resources available to home school are fantastic.

priscilla

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM