Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 187 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    W
    Wyldkat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    The problem is that now we're looking at possibly getting an actual diagnosis, I'm all freaked out. It's like gifted denial, but the other way around. I'm having to let go of the last hopes I had that Bear really was normal, just extreme... Now I'm terrified that they will take a look at him and throw their hands in the air and say "We don't know what to do with him either" or getting a diagnosis, but with nothing that can be done about it. argh....

Hang in there, Wyldkat! I do think the not-knowing is harder than the knowing, no matter what it is. Once you know, you can deal with whatever it is.

Good thoughts for you!

Kriston
    W
    Wyldkat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Thanks. smile The worst part of it is that I have a friend who loves us dearly, but doesn't see us very often and is studying psychology. She is totally against us getting him tested through the state program and has good reasoning for it, except for the fact that she doesn't live with Bear and therefor doesn't know how difficult everyday life is for us because of his issues. She says that getting him labeled this early in life is a bad idea, but I keep hearing that the earlier you get the intervention the better... Sigh...

Wyldkat,

I apologize because I have not followed any thread about the concerns you have for your son. I hope that the assessment is soon so you do not need to have to be anxious for long. I also hope you get some valuable information from the assessment.

I'm DYING to get DS5 assessed, but have to wait until the spring when he's turned 6. *sigh* I could REALLY use the info now to make decisions about next year. But we wait...

<drumming fingers anxiously>

Kriston
    W
    Wyldkat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I've mentioned his issues in a couple of places, but not really in depth I think. We're pretty certain he has sensory processing disorder which, for him, causes major problems with transitions, crowds, new experiences, etc... He has all the normal tantrums a ND kid has plus these mega-tantrums that can last over an hour of inconsolable screaming on a daily basis. He's very social in small groups of people he knows, but can be very physical and aggressive with kids, especially his older brother.

I knew he wasn't ND because he has always been above the curve developmentally, I just wasn't (still don't think I am) ready to actually accept a possible "official" 2e diagnosis. It won't change him at all, but it will be "official"...

FWIW DS8 has been diagnosed with sensory issues since he was two. We still don't have a consistent or completely effective method to help but he has improved in many areas with age. It is very hard as you say because the DX does not change much. Just know you have support on here.

Please keep us updated!

H
    H
    I like to look at it this way, if DS7 had been born 100 years ago, he would have made an awesome farm hand. He loves, loves, loves to be outdoors working. I'm 99.9% convinced at this point he will not choose a job in a cubicle. LOL or be a school teacher for that matter. There are so many career fields out there that need sensory seekers, dare devils, acute listeners, etc. The very tactile child might end up being a surgeon or Mike Rowe on Dirty Jobs (Discovery Channel)-LOL Maybe your child who can't stand to wear socks will end up living in a tropical climate with a guest house on the ocean so he won't ever have to wear socks and you'll be retiring in style. smile (Ok, I'm done dreaming out loud).

H
    H
    I meant to add Good Luck!

Good luck to you!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM