Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 64 of 76 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 75 76
    M
    M
    What is your son's personality? Is he normally shy except around people he is very familiar with?

My son, now 16, very rarely participates in class discussions etc,never has and it is always mentioned on his reports as an area in which he could improve (even with the teachers with which he has a wonderful rapor).Somehow I don't think that is going to happen! He has never liked to "stand out" and will therefore not willingly draw attention to himself.

You mention that they don't think he is participating the they thought he would. Are you also surprised by this apparent lack of participation?

J
    J
    Do you think that your son isn't participating because he's bored and has just tuned the lesson out? Is he shy? I can't believe that they wouldn't let you guys even try EPGY in the classroom. But it is good news that he's getting good books sent home!

I'm sorry, SPG. frown If there's anything I can do to help, it's yours.

Keep us updated, Jamie B.

Kriston
    H
    H
    So sorry SPG. Poor little guy.

S
    S
    Sorry SPG. That's so frustrating, hopefully things will improve as they get to go know him better. I totally agree Jamie B about tuning out lessons. It is hard to participate in conversations in the classroom that are so simplistic. My son had that problem as well. Although he would raise his hand and say dumb things. He clearly knew everything they were talking about...but had to make jokes out of things to at least keep himself interested. Thankfully he has gotten better about it and they have gotten better about letting him opt out of discussions and things that are clearly not needed for him.

Originally Posted by matmum
    What is your son's personality? Is he normally shy except around people he is very familiar with?

Usually, our DS wants to be the center of attention. If there's something he wants to say, he says it. He is usually pretty outgoing. But he did not participate much in preschool either. Sometimes I think it's basically just a big difference in interests of the kids.

Originally Posted by matmum
    You mention that they don't think he is participating the they thought he would. Are you also surprised by this apparent lack of participation?

I was very surprised. He usually likes to show what he knows. Although, I think he might also not want to stand out. So that might be an issue.

Thanks everyone for your support!

Jamie B - I also wish you good luck in your decision about homeschooling. In an ideal world, I think that would be a serious option for us. I agree with Kriston that if you add up all the time one kid in a class of 25 spends learning, it's quite small. Most of the time is spent moving from one activity to another, one classroom to another, lining up, playing outside, snack, lunch, etc. And if you're giving one-on-one attention to a student, the amount of time necessary is much shorter than trying to teach 25 kids at different levels of ability.

Originally Posted by shellymos
    I totally agree Jamie B about tuning out lessons. It is hard to participate in conversations in the classroom that are so simplistic.

I'm starting to remember how DS hated being asked things he already knew when he was younger. He would give silly answers instead. Maybe a bit of this is coming back.

I'm glad your DS's teachers are letting him opt-out of some things.

Why does this have to be so hard!?

H
    H
    For us, I kept getting phone calls and emails that DS7 then 6 was blurting out the correct answers all the time. They wanted him to show restraint and respect for other kids before they would advance him. He was viewed as impulsive. Soooo frustrating to be on either end of this! I really feel for you SPG and Jamie B.

K
    K
    St. Pauli - I'm so sorry to hear it's not going so well. So much of that sounds familiar.

I hope doing EPGY at home will generate some more evidence that he needs some acceleration quickly. I'm glad he doesn't fight on the way in though! Keep us posted and vent if you have to.

Page 64 of 76 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM