Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #61833 11/19/09 09:40 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Hi! I had my child tested for a gifted school. She took the SB5. We received back a "sum of scaled scores" of 161. I am wondering what it means in terms of IQ score. Does anyone have any idea how to convert it or if it is even possible? Thanks!

Last edited by ChelseaMom; 11/19/09 03:39 PM.
    B
    B
    I think straight 16's would be a little higher than that-- I think I remember reading in one of Dot's posts once that straight 16's yields a FSIQ 3sd above the mean, or 145.

But I'm not sure either...

(good luck at round 2)

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks everyone! I just felt like I needed a frame of reference as to what this score meant. I don't have the breakdown of what she scored on each subtest, all I got was this one number. I was told that the maximum possible score is 190, so this is likely all 10 subtests with a max of 19 on each one.

My son's total of scaled scores was 163 and the Full scale IQ was 141 on the SB5.

That is a great score!

Crisc
    Hello, new here. First post.

There's plenty of anecdotal stuff on the net about other test scores but very little out there in regards to the SB5.

Does anyone know what represents a very high score? Any idea what the highest score achieved is?

I would presume this would be produced using the Extended IQ function of the test.

S
    S
    Not sure Zanzi, obviously 160 is the highest, but they can do extended scoring (typically when a child scores 150+ and hits several ceilings....or some may do extended scoring when lower than that). Our psych did extended scoring for DS5 on the SB5, and while it was helpful it just kind of told us he was WAY up there (which was already pretty evident).

So yes, with the extended score, 160 is not the highest? Or does the difference between the FSIQ and the EXIQ go beyond the second being an extension of the first?

Does the EXIQ represent the score or is it the FSIQ that you should use as a guide and hold the EXIQ in a special category of its own?

Despite their other failings, older tests at least seemed to provide a single number, ie: two hundred and somesuch, which represented the final result (so far as I know).

S
    S
    no, with the extended score it goes beyond 160. Not sure how far beyond but past 200. I don't believe the EXIQ represents the score, even though most will say it is a much better representation. In our report it reflects that the EXIQ is a much better reflection of his abilities, or something like that (more eloquently stated I am sure). We just report the FSIQ, but for our school we gave them the report so they had the other info. I have found that most people still don't get the IQ thing, I have to admit I knew none of it until DS5 came along. I think some are still looking for higher numbers so when you say your kids IQ is 150+, some people still think of the scores in the 200's.

Thanks shellymos, that's helpful.

I think I've found the answer with this quote:

"The Interpretive Manual of the SB5 (Roid, 2003) offers a table of Extended IQ scores for children who score above 150 IQ or below 40 IQ. Scores range as low as 10 and as high as 225 IQ. Based on Rasch scoring, the examinee is credited with all raw score points beyond the requirement to obtain the ceiling score of 19. "

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM