Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    In seeking help for your gifted child, what are "the best" negative comments you've ever heard from school administrators, teachers, or even well-meaning family members and friends?

(You know, the ones that make you want to roll your eyes and leave you momentarily speechless while you ponder the absurdity of the logic....)

Here are some of mine, all from veteran teachers:

"If we advance her now, what will she do later?

"We don't let fifth graders use the sixth grade book, because, well, then what would they do in sixth grade?"

"We find the advanced kids usually level off by third or fourth grade as the others catch up."

"We can't let her do accelerated reading with the older kids because language arts is reading AND writing, and her handwriting doesn't look the same as the older kids."

"Don't worry about challenging her now. She'll have plenty of time to learn things. What does it matter if she learns math now or later? She'll get to learn it eventually."

"Oh, don't worry, we do so much in my classroom that no child could ever possibly be bored!"

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Oh Dottie, LOL on the muscles comment! So ridiculous...

D
    D
    My DS10 asked his teacher early on in the school year if he could do all the problems in the math set rather than just odds or evens. She replied,
    � That wouldn�t be fair to the other kids�.

W
    W
    gosh these already all so sound familiar...here are some of mine

"Well he's verbally precocious, but I wouldn't say he's gifted."

"I don't like to use the term gifted. Let's just say he's definitely bright."

"We don't do concurrent education. It would put young children in older classrooms."

"Now that you have found out he's gifted, don't change how you do things. We don't want to see you become one of those pushy parents whose kids burn out fast."

along with the "vulture" contribution I here by contribute the term "collective ignorance".

Willa Gayle
    T
    T
    from our school psychologist at our initial Gifted IEP meeting:

A full scale IQ of 154 on a WISC-III is pretty average for our district.
    --------

from our then Gifted Ed Supervisor:

The state's gifted ed regulations are a bunch of gobbedly-goop that nobody really understands....

-and-

It sounds like you expect your child's Gifted IEP to be individualized.

--------------------------------
    From our then Director of Pupil Services at the Mediation hearing held to get the additional testing needed to create an appropriate plan:

"We'll come up with three names of school psychologists and you come up with the names of three school psychologists and we'll put the names in a hat and your son can pull the name out of the hat and we'll use that school psychologist to do the additional testing."

--------------------------------------

That experience ended up taking me down a path of understanding the state regs about the education of gifted in public education in PA.

Had they simply offered a half-baked plan that I could kinda/sorta go along with, I'd have time for two or three hobbies.

Regarding my son already reading, 8 months before kindergarten would start:
    "We start learning to read in January of the school year. I guess we could have him start earlier in the year."

Regarding skipping to first grade:
    "You say your son is currently reading at about a first grade level. Now,if he was reading at the third or fourth grade level right now we would consider a skip to first. But not with the level he is at right now." (This was 6 months before he would have started kindergarten.)

From the superintendent when discussing a grade skip: "What size clothes does he wear?"

At least we overcame those and got the grade skip. But now:

From the current first grade teacher: "We'll be moving him ahead in the extra readers, but he needs to stay with the hard cover book in sequence." Me: "Why is that? He can manage the 4th or 5th level right now." Teacher: "Because it is the first grade curriculum." Duh.

When I asked about giving DS some challenge spelling words:
    "He needs to be getting 100 on his spelling tests." Me: "But he has. He spells them all correctly. He knows them all on Monday." Teacher: "But he needs to remember the rules. No capitals unless it is a proper noun. And I don't allow reversals."

M
    M
    'If I had a son like that, I would force him to be normal. He'd thank me later.' No comment....

'Do you have a problem with it when he acts his age?' No, I just have a problem with it when he gets depressed and gives up all his favorite activities....

'He needs to learn he doesn't know everything.' He knows that - which is exactly why he would prefer to be LEARNING something this year instead of underlining the subject in a sentence.

'At least he doesn't have special needs....' I know.... 'special needs' has a special meaning for educators - but if my kid doesn't have special needs, I don't know who does....

'He can't move on to 5th grade math unless he gets 100 on the 4th grade final.' Why not? Any normal kid who gets a 98 on the fourth grade final would move on to 5th grade.....

I think I have shared this one before....

"Mom, Snoopy is off the charts -they can't really measure his IQ.

Well, your dad was off the charts too sweetheart.

No, he was really smart, but he was definitely on the charts.

Well, you were off the charts too.

No, I was most definitely on the charts - at the far end, but definitely on the charts.

Well your grandfather was off the charts until he starting seeing little green men and was diagnosed with schizophrenia....."

I guess with all I hear and read.... that one still takes the cake.

Mary

Mary
    A
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    A
    I'm thinking of that comedian from Blue collar comedy Bill Engvall who is known for saying "Here's your sign..."

A women in my DS3 play group after seeing my son read..."Maybe if you take away his books he would be more normal." From my sister "You don't want to make a big deal about his intelligence, you don't want to make him feel special". (Remember this is the boy's Aunt!!) From the assistant principal of the elementary school "Prepare him to do his extra work at home and use school as a place to socialize". Ummm isn't that what the park is for???

A
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Anonymous
    Unregistered
    A
    Okay I must add one more...

My DH just yelled up to my son "Stop reading bedtime stories to the dog and go to bed!!" LOL

G
    OP Offline
    G
    'If I had a son like that, I would force him to be normal. He'd thank me later.'

Mary, I am aghast at this one. Oh, the ignorance...

Who said the comment about your grandfather? That is priceless!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM