Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 213 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    It sounds like you expect your child's Gifted IEP to be individualized.

This one calls for a big "Duh!" What did they think the "I" in IEP stood for?

K
    K
    I am commenting late in the game. I am a bit confused. 150 on a wisc is near the ceiling. my friend is a psychologist in a ny state district and has been there fro over 10 yrs. She stated that that score is rare. Either the district doesn't know how to test or they are simply not telling the complete truth?

karen
    Karen,
    i have bad news. Soime people lie to each other. Some people go so far as to lie to themselves. Particularly when they feel as though their backs are against the wall. Particularly when they feel like they don't really understand 'what's going on.'

In 2nd grade, the school refered us to a private psychologist to evaluate DS10, because "there is something medically wrong with your son." ((Our Dime))

The local psychologist met him and said, there isn't anything wrong with him, he's just a little immature. If you want to be totally sure, we can run some tests. The WJ and WISC III came back with YSP type scores. The psychologist's assesment?

Kid is bright and maybe boredom is having an effect on his behavior. You should read up on NVLD because there is a big gap between his Verbal and Performance.

Personally, as a Mom, I can not see how anyone can look at those kind of scores in a child that is clearly unhappy, and acting out, and not reccoment a change of educational placement!

So my nomination for most outrageous thing heard is - he MAY be bored in school.

Particularly as it was part of a dismissive side comment, rather than, he may be bored - we should find out using these methods.....

Why do I even remember these things? They only frustrate me!
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    This is a great thread! I've thought of a couple more:

From the principal, after the grade skip to first: "It's apparent he didn't go to kindergarten because he answers questions without raising his hand and sometimes runs and talks in the hallway. But the teachers said they can work on those behaviors." Yes, please do. I would like to see his spirit squashed!

From my sister-in-law: "Well, you can have him do sports so he'll be with kids his age, so he doesn't miss out on friends."

And from the teacher after he cried in school due to making a mistake on his paper: "Is he particularly sensitive?" Apparently she didn't read the report from the private testing we went out of state for!

I am simultaneously relieved and frustrated that everyone else hears the same type of stuff!

I love this thread!! It is hilarious and so very sad all at the same time. It is amazing how we hear so many of the same things. I checked off about half a dozen comments that had been spoken to me. I guess it underscores that a big part of our advocacy job is in educating the educators.

Dottie, I have discovered that educators really don't understand the significance of an IQ score. Everytime I present my daughter's IQ score to one of her teachers I get a blank stare. Teachers understand achievement tests and percentiles better.

K
    K
    okay, i now have to ask- my son who scored over 15o on the wisc. we are having problmes at school- essentially he is running the classroom right now because of his very bad behavior. He is very bored and has adequately articulated this. The principal has thrown around the idea of aspergers. JUst one eg. This for a kid who one day as he was walking down the street past a homeless man took out the $20 his grama had just given to him because the man apparently needed it more than him.-we explained to him that this was not the best way to deal with the homeless problem. Actually would not have a problem with a dx if it was accurate. But dx appear to be most convient for schools so they don't have to deal with the real problems. Anyways I have heard ridiculous things from some teachers-Fortunately my son had this great 4 yr old preschool teacher who pegged him 100% so I know that I am not delusional.

karen
    K
    K
    Opps forgot the question is- is this common mis dx- any experience anyone????

karen
    D
    D
    When my DS10 was 6, his teacher characterized his behavior as annoying. She liked him, but like me, found him exhausting. She suggested ADHD. Unlike some parents who rightfully get upset when others play doctor, we were not upset with her because she had already earned our respect as a teacher.

We took him to a developmental pediatrician where a team spent several hours over a couple of visits to get very detailed history. The MD reviewed the teacher�s concerns and history before she medically examined and interviewed him.

She concluded that he was a social, well-mannered, inquisitive, intellectually gifted boy who was under challenged in school. I chose to share the report with the school. I believe it may be best to consider and then rule out any dx that others may perceive. This should put an end to the speculation.

W
    W
    the comment about 150 reminds me of Mite's first grade teacher telling me that at least a third of the parents in her classes thought their kids were brighter than average.

CAPITAL DUH!!!!

Willa Gayle
    F
    F
    HA!! I love all these, but I have the topper.

My son was reading chapterbooks and doing math before kindergarten. Naturally, I tried to get him in at 4. Public school, nothing hoity-toity.

He was denied early admission because he could not hop on one foot.

The next year, I went to get him enrolled in K and when the teacher greeted him, she handed him a informational paper "for your mommy to read." He looked up and said, "nevermind mom--I know your eyes are bothering you after the car ride in the sun yesterday. I'll read it to you." He read the entire flippin' thing right then and there (including all of the big words, pronouncing them properly) and the K teacher ran out of the room to get advice from some of her fellow teachers. lol!

Of course, I sat back with a big "toldyaso" grin.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM