Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #61530 11/17/09 09:37 AM
    M
    Mag Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi! Can someone recommend a few good books on helping children cope with emotional issues and not to take things too personally?

We are hoping to help our DD5 learn some life skills that will last. Examples of situations including: when she raises her hand in class, but the teacher calls someone else; when there is a change in plan; feeling the need to do whatever (even though DD was not enjoying the activity) friends do in order to be part of the group, etc.

She generally does not throw a tantrum, but she does tear-up and her feeling are hurt. We try to reassure her that it is okay when these situations happen. The teacher still loves you.... It is okay to be different and do things you enjoy instead...., etc.

Thanks!

Mag #61541 11/17/09 10:21 AM
    O
    O
    This book came to mind but I not sure it's exactly what you are looking for. It does deal with sentivity and big feeling. Some of it feels repetious but there are some great messages to help parents and children cope and adapt. It does not focus on school.

M
    Mag Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi Onthegomom,
    Do you happen to have the title or the author's information available to share?
    Thanks!

Mag #61655 11/17/09 07:57 PM
    O
    O
    Children are from heaven : positive parenting skills for creating cooperative, confident, and compas
    Gray, John, 1951-
    New York : HarperCollins, c1999.

Sorry about not posting the title. I pasted it at one point and then ? Hope this is helpful. I borrowed this from the library. My children are very sensitive. I don't think this refer to gifted. This book has helped me a lot to just think of situations a different way. You may also want to search the emotional needs of gifted in the Davidson Data base or Hoagies.

Mag #61668 11/17/09 08:27 PM
    M
    M
    I actually got some of the "Model Me" videos; and my DS watched them while riding in the car with me. They are kind of dry; but present specific situations, point out certain things in the situations as being "good," or "this is the right way to do it," "see how she waited her turn," "see how he didn't get upset when he said no when he asked to share, and then used a different marker - this was good," etc. Probably not interesting enough for a child to sit on the sofa at home and watch (but possibly); but when they are trapped in their carseat, they are a good fit. I can tell that my DS4.5 now really was taking in what they were saying (about 1 yr-6mths ago - but has chosen to watch them again recently). The kids in the videos who are doing the acting are normal, nice kids who are about 12 yrs old. I would recommend them for real life skills. Hope it helps. I couldn't really find any books myself.

M
    Mag Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you Onthegomom and Mom0405 for your suggestions! We will definitely give them a try. smile

Mag #64084 12/15/09 12:38 PM
    Some ideas:
    http://www.thinkingpreteen.com/icps.htm
    There are books availible if you think she needs more vocabulary, or you need more of a framework to ask good questions instead of giving advice.

or
    energyparenting.com
    If you think that she is getting a bit of a 'kick' from all the drama of falling apart emotionally.

Both of these ideas are availible in book form, but I started you with links, because it's hard to keep buying books if they aren't adressing the kinds of problems you kids is having.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM