Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 56 of 268 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 267 268
    O
    O
    Congrats on the singing part! Hope he does more.

So sorry about the teacher.

That's awesome Cricket!! My DS plays the violin and like yours has had sound sensitivities forever. He has learned that an instrument can be played softly and enjoys it. And like yours he plays the pieces he is learning on the piano as well. Wonder why?

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Originally Posted by Lori H.
    My 11 year old son, who did musical theater since age 4 and really enjoyed singing with a group where he only occasionally sang solo parts, usually only one or two lines because he was a little shy about singing solo, was asked to do a lead singing part in song from the musical Annie for the county 4H talent show. He was so worried the night before and also backstage that he would not do well, but there wasn't anyone else in the group who could do it, so he was determined to do his best. He did very well and his group won second place. I was very proud of him because this was another fear that he overcame. For some reason speaking or acting in front of a large group did not bother him, but singing by himself made him nervous. I wanted to show the video to his acting teacher but we found out later that day that she had died in her sleep early that morning. She was only 38 years old and she had an 11 month old baby. She and the musical theater group were such a big part of our lives and we are still in shock.

Lori... first, bravo to your DS. Your heart must have swelled when he was up on that stage. To see them tackle their fears is such an amazing thing to watch and be a part of.

Secondly, I am so sorry to read about his acting teacher. That is horrible! It reminds us that life is precious and not to take anything for granted.

P
    P
    I just feel impressed by my DS2.5 today ...must boast about his glueing acumen! I cut animal pieces at his request, he pasted. He made a turkey with a big fanned out feather-tail, probably 30 feathers he put on it, and then a dinosaur complete with femurs and tibias, ribs and a jawbone among the more usual parts (5 legs for example). Seems to me they look like things I did in early elementary school. He refuses to draw (too frustrated at how it turns out) so at first I was just thrilled he was so into an art project. Then I got thrilled that I could frame these things and give them to his grandparents as gifts. Then I got worried they'd think I'd "helped" beyond doing the cutting. That's what they said when I told them about a poem/song he made up a while back, told me I must have made suggestions. Grrr, how could they say that? Say, maybe I'll just keep the art for our wall, there's an idea!

Polly

T
    T
    DS had his 4 year old check-up today. When the nurse weighed him, she said, "31 pounds." He leaned over to read the scale (digital) and said, "No, 30.8!"

Today DD6' teacher saw me at a faculty meeting (I teach at the same school) and told me that her puppet show was great! So good in fact that she was going to ask the other 2nd grade teachers to let her do it for their classes. laugh
    She has been reading Charlotte's Web and made a barn stage and puppets of Fern, Wilbur and Charlotte. As far as I knew that was it - make the project and bring it in. But when the teacher asked DD if she would tell the other kids about her project she went for it! She told them all about the book, why she was doing this project (it is her differentiated reading), who wrote the book, the main characters and the idea of the book. She then made up a puppet show on the spot about her three puppets.
    She was so excited to tell me about it after school. It was great to see her so amazed that she could make up stories so quickly and do so well talking infront of the whole class.

I
    I
    Very cool! DD5 dressed up as Wilbur for book week today and she would have loved to have seen your DD's show. I'm reading The Good Pig with her now and one of the advance praise quotes is:
    Move over, Wilbur, there�s a new pig on the block. Sy Montgomery has conjured a pure classic for the animal lover�s soul. Poetic, insightful, funny, and deeply moving, The Good Good Pig is as hard to define as it is to put down. Who else but Sy Montgomery could introduce you to a hog and give you a such glimpse of heaven?�
    �Vicki Croke, author of The Lady and the Panda
    A follow on show perhaps? smile

Ok, I just gotta, 'cause well, 'cause...

A couple of days ago, my DS7mo decided he REALLY wanted to get this one person on the subway to smile at him. The Target was being a tough cookie about it, and he looked like he was fairly good at being a tough cookie, all things considered. Finally, The kidlet leaned WAAAAAAAY over, practically into his pants (which were at about knee level anyway, so 'ya know) and said "Hi!" while waving vehemently, upside down. He got his smile. He hasn't said hi otherwise, or waved, and I have no idea what it was about toughboy, but it sure cracked a lot of people up.

Today, he also turned the pages of a paper book gently. Which was less amusing, but very exciting nonetheless since he's a big bookworm in the no-really-he-ate-it sense smile

-Michaela

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    H
    H
    That's so cute, Michaela!

Oh my gosh, I could read these forever!

Page 56 of 268 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM