Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #60694 11/09/09 06:48 AM
    OP Offline
    I would like to have DS take the MAP test - Measure of Academic PRogress which uses a growth model for testing. Previously, on the website, I had found a tab where I could see what schools in my area use the MAP test. I can no longer find that tab. HELP! Does anyone here no what I'm talking about? If not, I'll have to call them again.....

Dazey (and yep, still confuzed)

I
    I
    I looked but couldn't find it either. Thought this was interesting for homeschoolers though.
    http://www.acces-inc.com/testing/
    Hope someone else can direct you or the phone call to NWEA works.

I
    I
    I stumbled onto this for Ohio:

http://www.nwea.org/taxonomy/term/165

P.S. then I got Oklahoma by changing 165 to 166
    http://www.nwea.org/taxonomy/term/166

Last edited by inky; 11/09/09 10:03 AM. Reason: P.S.
    OP Offline
    Inky - do you know of anyone that has done it? I'm thinking about registering for it.

N
    N
    Does anyone know whether MAP testing is available to homeschoolers outside of Florida?

Dazey, I'm assuming that you homeschool and want to have DS take the test? If so, could you let us know what you find out from NWEA?

OP Offline
    Yes I homeschool and want to have DS take the test. I spoke w/ NWEA some time ago. They said that I needed to find a school near me that offered the test and ask them if I could have DS sit in with them. Someone on the WTM board did that and the school only charged her $15. But now I can't find the link for my state that listed the schools in my area which administered the test. I thought it was under the Contact Us page but perhaps they've moved it. But it would be easier to just do it at home. I've read that it's most beneficial to look over DC's shoulder so you know exactly what they've missed and why. So if my district would accept DS testing at home with out proctor, I'd like to go that route.

Last year we did the Iowa Test of Basic Skills. It's an OK test but limited to grade level. It has some oddly worded questions and I thought than rather testing out of level w/ the ITBS, it would be easier to use a test that had a high level to begin w/ like the MAP.

Is the link that Inky posted only for HSers in FLorida? I didn't see anything that stated that but perhaps I missed it since I was reading quickly.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 11/09/09 11:41 AM.
    N
    N
    Maybe not. When I looked at the registration form, they have it set up for families who homeschool in FL, and ACCES is based there, but it doesn't say one way or the other.

It would be great to be able to do it at home, but I do worry a little bit (privacy issues, etc...) about testing through a virtual academy instead of directly through the testing service. Can't imagine that I would find a school around here that would let my DD sit in for the test though, so I might not have a choice if we want to do MAP testing.

Originally Posted by inky
    I looked but couldn't find it either. Thought this was interesting for homeschoolers though.
    http://www.acces-inc.com/testing/
    Hope someone else can direct you or the phone call to NWEA works.

That sure does look interesting! I wonder if anyone has experience using NWEA with young teens? Hummmm

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    I called NWEA regarding where on the website i could find the listing of schools using MAP. SHe confirmed that they had indeed removed that info from the website. She did give me the name of the person that would email the information to me.

I sent an email to A.C.C.E.S which does the online MAP testing in FLorida. She confirmed that you sign up for the testing if you live outside the state of Florida. I will likely sign up DS for this testing. I may end up having to also do the ITBS to satisfy the school but I really want the MAP data for my own information.

Dazey

I
    I
    Thanks for the update. Thought you might find this interesting too.
    http://www.nwea.org/support/article/1027
    Will there be an alignment study done between MAP and college entrance exams such as ACT and SAT?

Not at this time. NWEA has had some interest in alignment studies of this nature and would like to pursue them, but there are obstacles. One requirement is to have a group of study participants who�ve taken both the NWEA assessments and the ACT/SAT at about the same time. Historically, most school districts have not tested 11th and 12th graders with MAP, so there is a short list of candidates. There is also the question of whether these volunteers would take the test seriously enough for the correlations to work. Another consideration is that each of these volunteers would have to agree to have their data released to us for study since the SAT/ACT test results are the property of the student and/or his parents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM