Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 58 of 76 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 75 76
    G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    Ms.Friz & shellymos - thanks for the Hoagies suggestion. Unfortunately, Austin is 3 hours away and the others listed in TX are much further. I guess Austin would be a possibility for an assessment but not practical for repeat visits.

MAMom2Ray - I'll suggest DD check with GD's dr. although she is not really a pediatrician but a family dr.

I was hoping to find someone qualified locally to assess (including testing), counsel and advocate for GD5 - will keep looking.

As a follow-up, DD met briefly with school psych. this am and was asked to fill out a questionaire & then wants to give same to GD5. The psyc. said the goal was to help GD handle her boredom and control her reactions. (Said the reality is nothing will be done to challenge her in Kind.) DD was told most gifted kids are introverts unlike GD5 and she probably would not be accepted into the gifted program unless behavior is changed. Also said GT does not start until 1st Gr. and then in regular classroom with some pullouts for special projects. Psyc. did say she had observed GD in class earlier in year and did not see any behavior problems - just "busyness". Also said since her BD is in mid-May, she may just need time to mature. Then DD had meeting with play therapist in pm - will schedule time with GD next week to evaluate if can help. Also mentioned maturity may just be a little behind. They both mentioned positive behavior charts/stickers etc. which have all been tried again and again. DD is afraid she's only going to be told the same things we're already doing. GD's recent outbursts are not planned but reactions due to fear or frustration and made worse when she does not eat enough at BK or lunch.

No direct reference to OT or sensitivity integration but maybe later? That sounds like the best hope to me but DD says everyone she talks to has their own plans. I feel so helpless (I can't pursue things myself) but so does DD. GD is not in trouble daily but she seems to have been "labeled" as a behavior problem even though she has many great days. At least her teacher is trying to work with her some. OK - vent over for now.

J
    J
    So they determine their gifted eligibility based on behavior? (they threatened me with that too..not sure what's going to happen about that yet)

Did you go to the meetings with your DD?

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    I was not at meetings with DD (much as I would like to be - I have to be careful to not "intrude" since "she is the parent"). Anyway, DD was told that they only have limited time in the "Gifted Program" since they are only pull-outs, and cannot have ANY behaviors that would take away from that time (apparently only introverts are allowed to be Gifted - lol).

I sure hope your DS is not kept out due to behavior. I understand that children need to behave and not be disruptive BUT when they are forced to sit through std. repetitive material and not challenged, what do they expect? Apparently the OE's of gifted kids is just a myth to this school.

Let me know what they say about your son.

K
    K
    I've been reading these and I'm glad to see some of our kids are thriving. I haven't posted updates because I've been down and felt very powerless to help DS. He's not as gifted as some kids here, I'd put him MG - maybe HG, but he has his areas of strength. He was advanced to first grade math and it's a good fit for him. The problem we have is the afternoon, oh how I regret choosing an all day program.

He's supposed to have rest time and although it's clear none of the kids in his class rest he's still expected to rest. She won't allow him to read until after Thanksgiving so he gets into trouble for not laying still. We do behavior sheets now with smiles or frowns by each gtime of day. He's gotten better but still has problems. It's usually stupid little things. I fear he's getting the message that he's a bad kid.

Reading is awful. At first he had to go through with the class and learn each letter, I wasn't thrilled but was told he'd do walk to reading and be grouped after that. I figured he could handle it for that short time. Now walk to reading has started but they only do half of the reading period, now he's expected to work on each letter for two days learning the sound with his main kindergarten group. His MAP tested was at 2nd grade but I think when we just look at word recognition and comprehension he's in the 3rd-4th grade range. In walk to reading he is reading and doing book reports, the book he last read was Fuzzy Farm and his book report was copying words down and drawing a picture from the story. So even advanced reading is nowhere near what he needs. I don't know how they can expect him to handle this when a second grader would lose their mind doing it.

Also the projects are typical kindergarten projects, coloring, cutting etc. He has gotten OK with it but there's a lot and it doesn't fit him at all. He's a three dimensinal kid. Like last night he drew a maze which was a couple of somewhat parallel lines and then he took the Jenga blocks and built a maze and that was a lot more complex.

I visited a different school that has a good gifted program but it's a pull out program. I need to start a different thread because I'm not sure how this will help. They will work with younger kids, like DS, but the classroom still won't fit him as well. I've considered homeschooling but socially there's so few kids around that he wouldn't get the play time and he's not a kid who is driven. He performs better for someone else. He has this fear of failure and he has a tough time challenging himself because of it. That's why he chose Fuzzy Farm for reading, it was easy, although he can read books substantially harder than that.

I'm going to meet with the teacher early next week and talk about the reading program. I know a parent last year homeschooled her DD for reading and I may propose that if he doesn't have any good solutions. We read less now and I think he's backsliding. Plus I can also add science in which he misses and use it as a test run to see if maybe we can homeschool.

Last edited by Kareninminn; 11/13/09 08:12 AM.
    J
    J
    Sorry things aren't going so well Karen. What's Walk to reading?

Sounds like they aren't giving him close to what he needs frown

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Jamie B
    Sorry things aren't going so well Karen. What's Walk to reading?

Sounds like they aren't giving him close to what he needs frown

Walk to reading combines all three kindergarten classrooms and group them by ability. He's in the reading group however I think he's the only advanced reader there, most are in the emergent stage.

K
    K
    Well it hit the fan today, he got into enough trouble that he had to be removed from the classroom. On the plus side I talked to his teacher and she is a lot more open than I thought to some alternatives and agreed he's getting nothing from reading.

J
    J
    On no...what happened? They let you go in when they took him out of the classroom?

At least you got to talk to the teacher!

K
    K
    I had already planned to come in and read to his class, it's something I do on Fridays. He wasn't in the classroom when I got there and that's when I found out what happened. I stayed in his classroom and got my son at the end of the day. I also had a chance to talk to his math teacher and found out he's having major problems focusing. He's capable and she sees that but he'll do a problem then doodle.

I have been upset with the school about a lot of things but I think had I been blunt with the teacher earlier she was more open than I realized. I think it's easier for me to blame the teacher instead of seeing that there's several things going on.

I'm sorry for his troubles, but maybe the situation can now change for the better? Sometimes things have to get to a certain (low) point before they can improve, you know? At least they did for us.

Thinking good thoughts!

Kriston
    Page 58 of 76 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM