Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 56 of 76 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 75 76
    J
    J
    That's so great that they're going to work with him Shelly!

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    So glad to hear that things are going so well for him. It's good that they are not making him sit through things he has known for a long time and are trying to challenge him.

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    So are you saying that the OT approach might be more help in helping GD control her intense emotions/reactions more than play therapy? Her recent fears are relatively new for her although she has always been sensitive to smells, sounds and touch (tags, textures etc.). Most of her behavior problems in class are probably typical for a child having to endure the inappropriate learning environment. At times though, the anger and frustration boil to the surface and she ends up with a meltdown. If OT would work better, is this the same OT as for sensory integration? (a lot of the descriptions for that disorder do not really fit her). Your educated advise is appreciated.

I'm glad that your DS is at least receiving differentiated instruction in class. Hopefully, it will get even better.

J
    J
    I know nothing about therapy GM5 but I wish you luck! I'm not even sure what play therapy is...maybe you can ask them what they think?

J
    J
    Principal called today...no news though. She said she, the counselor and the speech therapist (not sure why they needed one) went observe DS but they haven't met to talk about it yet. I feel like this is just a phone call to buy them even more time.

She told me to call all that I want and not to feel like I'm bothering her because she's just as interested as I am in getting DS where he needs to be and what he needs. I wanted to tell her if that was true something would have been done by now but I held my tongue smile

Originally Posted by Jamie B
    I wanted to tell her if that was true something would have been done by now but I held my tongue smile
    Well, the phone call is good news, and I'm proud of you for 'doing the right thing.'

It's impossible to tell if they are playing you, but 'just in case' it seems worth it to play nice for a few more days.

I guess that is an open invitation to call tommorrow.
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I guess that is an open invitation to call tommorrow.
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity
    Yes it is smile

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    GM5 - my heart goes out to ya!

Update for DS6 in less than one month:

At the start of this month, he and a few other selected students in his class have been going to see one of the ALP (Advanced Learning Program aka Target aka Gifted Pullout Class) teachers. They told me when we had the meeting to move him to 1st to not expect a note to be sent about additional testing, just the note stating he'll start Target in January. I was waiting for that note, but apparently they just took my word from the meeting that we wanted him there. Anywho, turns out, DS is at the top of his class of first graders right now... reassurance that the whole grade skip now was absolutely the right decision for him! Now I just hope they don't come back stating he needs to be skipped again... I don't think I can handle him in a class with some 8 year olds (after Sept 1 bdays), regardless of his level of maturity! wink Though maybe, if Target/ALP isn't enough, they can work on 2nd grade pullout stuff with him.

Also, we continue to be amazed with his memory (he's personally working on learning the Presidents in order) and his creative writing. He recently wrote a story about a boy named Daniel and his desire to have a baby sister. Then the next day, he wrote about Daniel's sister Abby. DH and I are amazed at his ability to continue one story into another. As a HUGE fan of writing myself, I wouldn't be too upset if that becomes his niche! smile

M
    M
    Jamie B: glad to hear the principal FINALLY called you and am proud of you for holding your tongue! ;-)

JJsMom: That sounds wonderful. Speaking as someone who lives with a second-grader and a kindergartner, I wouldn't want to mix those two ages in a classroom either!

We had our P-T conferences yesterday. DS5's was a little odd b/c it was with his old teacher (he moves on Monday) so we couldn't talk at all about what happens next to challenge him. We did FINALLY find out his real reading assessment, which is about where I thought it would be (surprise, surprise). We were actually a bit surprised to find out that he scored perfectly in all the K AND 1st grade math testing for the first unit. It's times like these that I wish they'd take the testing as far as the child's understanding so that we'd have a clearer picture of what he's ready for next. Sigh. He's the kind of kid who observes and absorbs, so he'll suddenly say something that makes you turn your head and say, "when'd you learn that?" The one thing they listed as a weakness was his writing b/c he's so meticulous that he takes a long time to do the mechanics. Somehow, I'm sure his fingers will catch up with his perfectionist brain at some point in his life!

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    Jamie B - The phone call at least sounds like progress. Keep after her.

Mom2twoboys - Wonderful that he knew all of the math too. Have you worked at home with him on math or does he just seem to know it? GD understands add & sub. but we haven't worked on much at home now that she has homework (basic K work) every night. She resists all the writing homework. Writing is GD5's biggest problem too but it has gotten so much better. Everything just seems to come in sudden spurts - his fingers will catch up. GD5 just comes up with surprising things such as for homework she was supposed to write words that started with D. Her choice - dromedary. Neither DD nor I have any idea how she knew the word and she told us what it was. We assume she read it somewhere.

Thanks for the words of concern and support.

Page 56 of 76 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM