Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    As for the message your considering, I'm less sure. Advocacy is not my strong suit! I would say that asking questions might get better results than telling. But I'm not sure if that's helpful here.

You are absolutely right - ask instead of tell. I don't want to be teaching them that's what makes them upset. This is where I have so much to learn. This is so hard for me despite good intentions.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    ColinsMum -
    I was not sure the gifted teacher saw this Creative Math as a typical thing. She said she never saw anyone do + or - like this before but he was getting the right answer. I feel like they think he is a less capable Math person becuase he is inventive. I think he is actual very capable he just needed a reality check on what's the quickest or best way to do the Math. He is doing it the fast way now.

Maybe the multipliction issue is something more than I can understand. I am certainly not very knowledgable in Math and how it is learned. I think I will wait on asking about this.

I have been wanting to send a note becuase this has been bugging me for a week. It seems like it is too risky to send a note becuase they might be insulted despite my intentions.

Last year before they did testing and made some accomidations the gifted teacher just said tell him to just hang in there. Well he couldn't and it got bad. I do feel like she wants to help him and appreciates his hard work.

This is very hard. I want to help him but I am only so capable of understanding what their reactions might be. Thanks so much for your input you probally saved me from harming the relationship with the gifted teacher. I sent her a compliment on something new she has done instead today.

Last edited by onthegomom; 11/11/09 11:10 AM.
    MAE Offline
    RightStart Math also teaches the strategy of adding 9 by adding ten and subtracting one. As someone who has never been able to memorize math facts myself, I have done this as long as I can remember, perhaps someone taught it to me but I don't remember. It seems an elegant strategy to me since calculations are virtually instantaneous.

I
    I
    One thing I'm learning about advocacy through trial and error is to "keep the conversation going." Unfortunately because of the ask vs. tell issue, the note may shut down conversation which defeats the purpose. I would mention to the principal that you'd like to meet to hear more about what they're seeing with his multiplication. This would provide an opportunity to discuss how DS approaches his addition too.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    Dandy - I'm curious about what you wrote because I'm not saying the kids are not willing to learn Math Facts.
    I truthfully didn't think it was a matter of willingness... just that they hadn't learned them, or at least weren't using them in the manner desired by the teacher. (Esp. regarding multiplication.)

My son learned his math facts early on, but on occasion, he still lapses into the most convoluted approach to multiplication imaginable. Yes, he'll ultimately get the right answer, but the "strategy" he employs will crumble when the math gets more complicated.

I am seeing both kids figuring out math ahead of schooling, without my prompting, using their own creative methods and it gives them the right answer.
    I suspect that the teachers have seen every creative approach under the sun... but that they have concerns (hopefully based on experience) that the approaches used are not the most efficient or perhaps not the most accurate.

I do think it will be an ongoing issue where my kids want to be ahead of what school is teaching. (Maybe this is insight into the need for acceleration.)
    I agree that their independent pushing ahead is a sign that acceleration should be considered. But I think acceleration will be a hard sell if the teacher isn't satisfied with what your child is doing currently.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Dandy -thanks for the clarification.

Acceleration for my DS seems to mean putting a little extra pressure on to do everything just the way school wants from writing one's HW in an assignment notebook to doing the Math their fast way. It feels like any lack of the student's school work self management results to them thinking he may not be mature enough for acceleration opportunities. Some of this may be good to motivate him to care about his self management.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM