Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #59583 10/28/09 11:38 AM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    My DD6 is doing Addition Flash Cards. Here's her thinking.
    9+5=?
    so 5+5=10 and 4 left over from 9,
    so 10 + 4 = 14

With 9 addition it's always one less than number added.
    She doesn't want to hear the short cut and got mad at me for suggesting it. I didn't want to insist and just said there is more than one way to get an anwser. Why would she choose the long way? She is doing great with her + & - facts. I wonder about this. I feel like there is something happening that I don't get. Her brother DS9 is doing something with his 4 digit to complicate his computation too. Both are gifted kids. DS is probally hG or PG in math. Am I overthinking this? Please offer suggestions. Thank you in advance.

C
    C
    FWIW, your DD's way sounds as though it could be just as quick as the way you think she should do it, to me! I wouldn't sweat it, other than maybe to share how you did something in an "isn't it interesting that there are different ways to get the same answer" way. My DS will sometimes answer from one calculation and then point out another way, adding "so it makes sense", and I think that's to be encouraged. If one way really is faster than another, I expect it'll be the one adopted in the end....

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    I use your daughter's way for adding 7s and 8s, and your for 9s. It's especially good for subtracting. I think that she probably like to see problems in an abstract way, and just doesn't like 'techniques' as much as the elegance of actually understanding the basis of what she is doing.

As long as she is fast enough for the classroom, I would leave it be.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    K
    kec Offline
    K
    My DS8 would add like this, especially when we first started giving him two digit numbers. He would explain how he got the answer and it always seemed complicated to me. I never worried too much though, since a) he was coming up with the correct answer and b) I thought it was a good thing that he made simple things more challenging since it gave his brain a work out it never got in school.

My DH is always advocating the subtract 1 rule when dealing with 9. I keep working on the "know by heart" method, since that is easier for me wink

E
    E

When I add multiple digit numbers I like finding all the 10s first. So I use both techniques...

Yes, I think you are overthinking this smile

The program that my DS originally started in was called "rightstart". That program teaches math the way your daughter does it. breaks everything down into block of 5's and 10's. It creates a great environment for mental math later on. Sounds like your DD has already figured that out!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    She is doing the right thing. That's how I was taught and that's how Singapore math is done.

LMom
    Yeah, I was just going to second that her methos follows the rightsmart math program. We are using that now. As for complicating math problems, my ds6 does that all the time. If I tell him the most straight-forward method, he says it's boring and wants to do it his own way. We had an issue with this today with addition and subtraction. I suggested using his fingers at one point, and he wouldn't hear of it. I held up my own fingers, and he almost went through the roof! LOL

T
    T
    What your daughter is doing is decomposing numbers. It shows great understanding of number and flexibility in her thinking. If you think about it, she's already figured out how "carrying" works--and why! It's sort of like emptying a coin jar and totaling up the contents--we usually don't count coin by coin or grab random amounts to add together, we group them into "easy sets" for counting. To use your example, imagine that your daughter slid nine dimes across the table, then slid over another five--she's recognizing that one of those dimes will complete her "first set" and leave her with an extra four.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM