Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I'm pretty sure I'm gifted in the English(Writing and Literature) fields as I've taken some kind of test in grade 9 saying that at that point my reading/grammar/comprehension levels were beyond university level. I was also in a 'smart' class separate from the other English class in grade 7 and 8.

Is there any kind of test I can take beyond an IQ test to see if I'm gifted? I'm horrible at math.

I am 22 now and studying to become a paralegal.

EDIT: I`m Canadian. I live near Toronto, Ontario.

Last edited by coffeegirl18; 10/22/09 01:52 AM.
    Did you take the SAT in high school? That has been said to correlate with IQ, somewhat and there are charts online and probably posted on this forum to relate the two.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Sorry I forgot to mention I`m Canadian.

I never took SATs.

Last edited by coffeegirl18; 10/22/09 01:53 AM.
    Well, you probably already know there are several 'iq' tests on the web, some probably less accurate than others. I think it is a valid point to want to pursue, however I am not sure of a great test for adults and that would probably cost a bit of money.
    To make a better decision on testing, you might want to visit a site like Mensa, to see what tests they except, or hoagiesgifted.org to just look at the list of tests there.
    Alternately, you might want to review 'gifted' characteristics lists, this might reveal more anyway. There is a good one for adults here:
    Gifted Development Center - Info for Adults

Good luck!

C
    OP Offline
    C
    My only issue with IQ tests is when they focus too much on math and that almost makes me freeze up on them.

I'm checking it out thanks.

I can assure you, you are not alone in that! smile

Last edited by chris1234; 10/25/09 05:02 AM.
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    So far yeah I'm gifted...I was always the kid that related more to adults and my older cousins than kids my own age.

I should also mention that I read about 5 novels at once and can keep all the plots and all separate.

I also heard that gifted children have intense interests...as a young child I was obsessed with dinosaurs and I had to know see and find anything I could on them. I was super picky on pronouciation and could say most of them in latin as well.

I'm continue to read up on it.

Yes, that all sounds pretty gt to me!
    I also wanted to mention that you should try to think separately about any math anxiety as opposed to possible math ability. A big source of anxiety can come from poor performance with math facts/math computation. Early on there is a great emphasis on speed in math facts for kids, setting the stage for feeling negative about math in general, when really there is so much more to math! (And so much more to some kids!)
    Just some thoughts, since both my ds and I struggle with this question, and it took me a long time to come to a career in Computers which I really enjoy, but early on thought I would never be able to handle. (It turns out I am more gifted in math/visual spatial ability and logic than just purely verbal ability).
    There are some threads around here about separating out these various aspects of 'math abilty' from processing speed and anxiety issues, and rote-memorization "revulsion"... wink

Originally Posted by coffeegirl18
    Is there any kind of test I can take beyond an IQ test to see if I'm gifted? I'm horrible at math.
    Hi Coffeegirl18,
    Welcome! I'm wondering what interests you about finding out if you are gifted?
    Many people at your stage of life are trying to figure out a career/destiny path. IQ testing can be a wonderful part of getting to know yourself, and making a 'best guess' if a future career will fit you - if it's done by a knowledgeable person who understand BOTH High IQ and Career counseling.

This is also an age where some people are making life-decisions about who they will spend their lives with. Many Gifties feel that they have stronger marriages because they chose someone who a) is tolerant of their gifted side and b) has a similar overall intellectual level.

You might have a very different reason of your own, yes? I'd love to hear what it is.

I will say that if your friends are achieving at a much higher level than you are, it's a red flag to get help in developing your potential. It's a myth that ALL Gifted People and 'across the board' and good at everything. It's also possible to have a lots of potential but to be blocked for various reasons from really being able to convert potential into achievement. Some of those blocks can be removed with help, some with persistence and some over time. I believe that all people, gifted or not, have vital contributions to make to society, and deserve to put themselves around mentors who can help guide their development.

If you were put in the 'smart' class in 7th grade, that's enough so that you can join most gifted groups. You might be able to contact your school and see what tests they used to decide which kids needed that class, and to find out what percentage of students they were attempting to serve. There isn't any standard definition of 'gifted' and there is no one test that works for everyone. It's more like the process of being better and better able to understand oneself.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Here are some gifted definitions. I have always liked the Columbus group one because I can see my girls very clearly in it. It might make more sense for younger children. the ashynchronous development refers to being a certain age chronologically and a different age mentally, emotionally, etc.

http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=574

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM