Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 213 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 46 of 76 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 75 76
    M
    M
    Renie:

Glad to hear DD likes school. How sad that her teacher isn't encouraging her more. Just this morning I encountered a similar scenario with DS5 about books at the school's library. He, apparently, has been wanting to bring home a dinosaur book but the librarian hasn't put any out on the table from which kindergartners are allowed to choose. I told him to ask her directly if he could pick out a dinosaur book. If that doesn't work, I'm going to go talk with her. Thankfully, I've been in the school so much for the past couple of years that I know her and I doubt it will be a problem. Maybe you can talk directly to the librarian and explain that your daughter really loves Junie B and Katie Kazoo and could she be pointed to those areas of the library?

In terms of e-mailing, I'd probably e-mail/call the friend's parents and explain that your daughter's really excited to write letters via e-mail to her friend. I bet at least some parents would be willing to sit with their kids and type responses back that the kids dictate.

Last edited by mom2twoboys; 10/27/09 06:51 AM.
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    renie1 - I would definitely contact the teacher or librarian about the books. DS was bringing home "easy" books as well. He still is, but they are at least up a few levels than where they were. At least they have more than 2 words on a page now.

As for the other, just keep a tab on things like this for the moment. Sometimes, because we are overaware of the things that go on our with our DC compared to the other kids in class, we often get more frustrated and see things that really weren't meant to be taken as such (i.e., maybe your DD didn't volunteer to take the work home til last? last name comes first or last?, etc). But if it continues to happen, then definitely mention it. Kids don't normally like to be last - they feel left out, so hopefully it was not the intention this time!

O
    O
    I think you should talk to the librarian for starters. Give her examples of your daughters reading level. Ask if she may check out different books? Tell her how it would effect your daughter in a positive way.

I don't think your daughter should hide her abilities.

I would have a talk with the teacher. What she can do to challenge your child? If that doesn't work talk to the principal.

How do you know she is HG? Did you have some testing? If so show results to the principal.

I would look around to see if there are other school options or homeschooling even if you are not ready to make a move yet. This gives you time to learn.

R
    R
    hi on the go mom and (wow a lot of moms responded already, cool!)

i found out about her giftedness officially this past spring when i brought her to a psychologist who was testing my son who has a disability . I mentioned her intense behavior, etc and he suggested testing. I almost fainted when i saw the results- WPPSI 147 FSIQ.. so confirmed what i had suspected, but to a degree i did not realize. The pysch also said that he was amazed with her because she answered so quickly it was like she did not have to even have to think. This is something i've noticed. Its like all at her fingertips.

I am definitely now going to speak to the teacher/librarian. It is just such a silly, easy, effortless way to differentiate for her- point her in the direction of junie B for goodness sakes!! Its not like its Shakespeare (not that they shouldn't show her that if she's interested, ha).

J
    J
    Renie we have the same problem with the library. I just make sure to take DS to the public library a few times a week so he can get books that are more on his level.

A lot of times it's so hard to know if the teachers are doing things because we have gifted kids or if we're just seeing it that way. I hate it but I take so much as a slight towards DS.

M
    M
    Given our library chat this morning, thought you guys might appreciate this conversation I had today:

DS5 left library book at home. Brought it into school right to the library so as not to disturb his classroom. Part-time librarian who I don't know is there. I explain to her that DS's K class is coming in later and that he's been really wanting dinosaur books, but none have been available on the K table; can they help guide him? She says: Oh, they really like to look at the pictures. I say, actually, he reads. For instance, he read that book I just handed to you. Her eyes get really big as she flips through the pages and then says, "He read this? He must be genius." (It was a Nature's Children book on pandas). I said, "No, he just likes to read."

She wrote his name down and promised to guide him today. ;-)

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Awesome! ha.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by mom2twoboys
    Given our library chat this morning, thought you guys might appreciate this conversation I had today:

DS5 left library book at home. Brought it into school right to the library so as not to disturb his classroom. Part-time librarian who I don't know is there. I explain to her that DS's K class is coming in later and that he's been really wanting dinosaur books, but none have been available on the K table; can they help guide him? She says: Oh, they really like to look at the pictures. I say, actually, he reads. For instance, he read that book I just handed to you. Her eyes get really big as she flips through the pages and then says, "He read this? He must be genius." (It was a Nature's Children book on pandas). I said, "No, he just likes to read."

She wrote his name down and promised to guide him today. ;-)
    LOL...at least now she's going to help him!!!

J
    J
    We have conferences today. I have a lot to talk about with the teacher.

In case you guys didn't see my other post I'll give you a short summary. DSs behavior reports from class seemed to be good for the last two weeks or so. He was only getting in trouble for blurting things out (and once saying a bad word...I have NO idea what that was about!) and talking during nap. Before he even started the school I made sure to talk to the principal about nap. It's always been a problem. He won't sleep and he gets bored and likes to wake his friends up. She promised me that they'd find something else for him to do during naptime.

A counselor went in to observe him because of the teacher suggesting that he might have ADD and she said that she saw no issues at all. She said that the teacher even told her that she's more concerned about him not watching where he's walking and getting hurt than she is about his behavior in class.

Last week I called the school and went by to try to talk to the principal about moving him up to first grade. I tried doing this Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. She was never in. They wouldn't even take a message the last time I called. They said that she was out sick and whatever I needed I could talk to the teacher about. That day I went in to pick DS up from school early and she was there in the office looking quite healthy. Then on Friday (the next day) DS comes home with a write up for bad naptime behavior, a really bad conduct grade and a behavior plan where he gets a certain face for every activity that they do. The last time I went in to talk to the teacher she said that she doesn't believe in behavior plans and doesn't think they work. That along with this seeming to come out of the blue really concerns me. I want to talk to the counselor about it that went in to observe him but she's out sick.

Looking at the behavior chart you can clearly see that he gets in trouble during math, storytime and nap. That to me suggests even more than he's getting in trouble when he's bored.

I'm so upset about all of this that I'm not even sure what to ask the teacher. I know that now that he's on a behavior plan my requests to move him to first grade will certainly be met with a "NO". I wish I'd have gotten to talk to the principal before the teacher implemented this. DS said he has no idea why he's on a behavior plan or what it even is.

Sorry this turned into a novel!

Here's a link to his behavior plan:
    http://imgur.com/e3fSb.jpg

Last edited by Jamie B; 10/27/09 10:04 AM.
    M
    M
    Jamie B: Lots of hugs to you.

Okay, in terms of conference with the teacher today:

1. Tell her that you, too, are concerned about DS's behavior along with an I'm sure you've noticed this, too, but it seems he's having a really hard time during math, storytime and nap.

2. Ask for a trial run of giving him higher math independently during the math unit to see if that helps his behavior. Explain your theory that knowing your son, you believe he's acting out because he needs more of a challenge (I'd avoid the word "bored" b/c it sounds like she's boring.) Is there some of his math work outside of the classroom you can bring in to show what he's doing to help make your point? (If this works for a couple of weeks then it may be easier to make your case about first grade.)

3. Remind the teacher that the issue about naptime was known before he started school and the principal had assured you that he would have something else to do during that time. Come up with a plan of what that "something" is going to be from now on.

4. Document, document, document. It seems that the more I show directly DS's work, the more that teachers are believing me about his abilities (even if they are still taking baby steps, in my view). Send a follow-up to the teacher after the meeting thanking her and outlining what was agreed to.

5. I don't know if there's a way to implement something like this, but DS's teacher has a Buddy Bear. If a child has an issue, but circle time or whatever they are doing isn't the right time, then they leave a note in Buddy Bear and the teacher will read the notes and talk with them at the end of the day. Notes can be drawings or anything that gets their point across so that it isn't forgotten. My son won't use the thing to tell teacher when he's bored, but maybe yours would?

Finally, naptime? My county did away with that eons ago ;-)

Page 46 of 76 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM