Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 45 of 76 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 75 76
    M
    M
    I'm afraid I'll jinx things by posting this, but we are also very lucky because things are starting to work (at least for the past week they have). The first month and a half of school has been a roller coaster in terms of DS's behavior. The teachers used this period to try to get to know him and figure out how best to work with him. The week before last DH and I met with the school team, and they provided us with our son's new schedule. He is now working one-on-one with the GT teachers for math and reading, and spends the rest of the time with the K class. Because of social issues, we won't be moving him to 1st grade at this time, but they are more than challenging him academically. This past week has been the first full week of school where he did fairly well with his behaviors. Hopefully it's because his new schedule is having a direct impact on his behaviors. I'm very hopeful. If you asked him during the first month and a half of school what his favorite parts of the day were, he would always say, "Recess, lunch, and center time." On Friday, DH asked him, and he said that math and reading were his favorite parts of the day. Yay! Keeping my fingers crossed that this continues....

J
    J
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you m2gts! I wait for the day that something other than lunch is DSs favorite part of the day smile

Is he working alone with the GT teacher?

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    m2gts - got my fingers crossed with you!!!

I'm glad to read the updates. Keep them coming, please!

In that spirit, a quick update from us: things are pretty quiet. Socially, DS5 is happy. He says recess is his favorite thing about school.

It's clear that he's not being challenged at all in math. But he's not unhappy and we have time for afterschooling because it's only half-day K, so that's what we're doing. It seems to be okay for this year.

He's my kid who didn't read early and whom I suspect may have some sort of LD. His reading is improving, though I can't tell if that's because of K or because he's just ready now. My gut feeling is that it's because he's ready, but I don't want to sell K short. We're still lookng at getting vision therapy with our developmental optometrist.

So things are okay. Not great, but okay. I think it will be a decent year for him. I think his needs are being met sufficiently. I don't think this is the best year ever though, and I don't know that it will work for him next year, especially if he has an LD that the vision therapy works well on. Much will depend upon his reading and writing and if they blossom as his math has.

I feel like we're in a holding pattern. I worry that because he's not a very demanding kid in terms of challenge, I'm not doing enough.

*sigh*

Kriston
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I get updates weekly on what DS5.5 is doing in 1st. And I'm still in awe. While there are many things that are new to him, like using 10s and 1s to figure out what a number is, there are so many things that he's far beyond. While his tests indicated 2nd grade, I don't want to push that far due to his age. He's already more than a whole year younger than the oldest in his class. And socially, he is NOT ready for another skip.

Thankfully GT pullout begins in January, and the GT teacher is the one that did his testing. So she is familiar with his strengths and weaknesses. But man, it really kills me to think that he needs more.

At least he's getting to be more involved with science experiments and whatnot - what he loves!

Edited to add: he knows numbers way beyond 1st grade-the 10s & 1s thing was more of the concept of figuring out which is which that is new to him. It sounded like he didn't know the difference between 19 & 91 above.

Last edited by JJsMom; 10/26/09 12:37 PM.
    M
    M
    JamieB and JJsMom, thanks for keeping your fingers crossed. Unfortunately, you can uncross them. Today was not so good. :-( We'll see what tomorrow brings....

And yes, he works one-on-one with the GT teacher.

Sorry, m2gts. Want to talk about it?

Kriston
    R
    R
    hey everyone
    just catching up on this thread.
    i have a few dilemmas, though overall my HG+ DD5 is loving being in school- its a large school and she feels very big going to the cafeteria, etc. But there is no GT anythign until third grade and differentiation consists of getting an extra low-level ditto in her homework packet..

Dilemma 1 is that the other day they sent an email list home for all the other parents in the class. My daughter heard us talking about it and was bugging us to start writing emails to her classmates. So the other night i let her do it- she sent a message, independently, a few sentences, to one of her friends. She has no problem doing this kind of stuff. But we got no response from the girl, and when i casually mentioned to her teacher that she'd started emailing her classmates, she got strangely quiet and i sensed disapporoval as other kids would not be up to that... I want to be a good friend to others however, its such a shame that things she does well will make others feel bad..Another example of this is that there is a "fun pack" going around the class that all the kids have to add something to a little journal about autumn. So you see all the wriitngs of the other kids and your child adds a picture, word, etc. So when we got it, i noticed right away that we got it LAST.. coincidence?? or they don't want her work seen by the rest of the parents?? i hate feeling this way.

Dilemma 2- She started bringing home the same Fancy Nancy picture book every week from library. I asked her why and she said the librarian won't show her where the Junie B and Katie Kazoo books are. Whats sad is that my DD doesn't GET yet that she won't show her probably for a year or two. Every week she thinks she'll get her chance and is disappointed. I asked some of my friends if they think i should get involved in this and no one seems to really be sympathetic ("if i should have your problems"! is the feeling i get).. So not sure if any teacher will feel for her either.

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by m2gts
    JamieB and JJsMom, thanks for keeping your fingers crossed. Unfortunately, you can uncross them. Today was not so good. :-( We'll see what tomorrow brings....

And yes, he works one-on-one with the GT teacher.

Oh NO!!!! Keep us updated!

M
    M
    m2gts: Sorry to hear about the bad day. Am hoping it gets better for you.

Page 45 of 76 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM