Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 76 1 2 3 4 75 76
    RJH Offline
    I will also have one going to PS K, plus a homeschooled DS8. DD is very excited, so we shall see what happens.

N
    N
    We're there too, and I am anxious. DS5, who is a DYS, didn't get into either of our local HG schools (separate rant); so we're sending him to a public language immersion school. I've met a few other moms and kids who will be there, and it's a multinational/multilingual group, very cool -- the problem being that as best I can tell, none of the other kids are reading yet. DS is reading several grade levels up (math is not nearly as high). I've been told that other parents in our same boat have chosen that school, so we are hoping for the best. I bite my nails (figuratively) anyway. When the mom of a rising 1st grader told me not to worry about reading because the teachers work with all the kids to make sure they know their letter sounds by the end of kindergarten... well, that didn't help much. lol. Still: one of the teachers told me she had a student in a K/1 combo class last year doing 4th grade math. A good sign, surely? Anyway, I have not asked about grade skipping (probably futile anyway). I get the feeling that they want to evaluate him themselves before we talk about accomodations, which is reasonable. And maybe everything will be OK... after all, he can't read a word in the target language. They have an active chess club, so I've started teaching him chess and he LOVES it. And one of the children we met already speaks three languages (this will be #4), so I am ridiculously jealous of that and hoping that she'll be in his class.

Ack. I need to quit thinking about it. (Not gonna happen. ha ha)

W
    W
    I'm on board with this idea! DS5(in a month) homeschooled K last year and is now enrolling in a local public school Independent Study program with a teacher who actually insisted on being his teacher and was willing to help us fight for an interdistrict transfer if we had any problems. I swear this teacher is a dream come true after the horrors of trying to find a place for Wolf all last year.

The good part of that struggle was that he got assessed by one of the charter schools we were looking at (probably because they didn't believe me about his abilities...) so now we have a better idea of what we're dealing with. Right now his reading and math are end of 2nd, but his english and writing are maybe mid to late 1st. His teacher says that we will start him wherever I think he is at and then go from there. The class is a K-1 class and the laws here say that due to his age he has to start in K, but she is moving him to 1 at the semester. The only drawback to the I.S. option is that they have very few kids Wolf's age and so there more than likely won't be a kiddie class.

S
    S
    Wow, there are a lot of us! I have a DD5 who is starting K this fall as well. We're going with a parochial school, but I have no idea how they will feel about accommodations. (We didn't test her until after we enrolled.) She'll be doing half day K, so I will probably be doing some after-schooling. I really wish that I had tested her earlier and started looking at schools a LOT earlier.

We are still looking for a good school fit. Who knows, maybe our current school will surprise me and be great about accommodations. (Do you see me holding my breath? wink ) Many of you sound like you have nice schooling situations lined up! How did you find out about those schools? Word of mouth? Did you just go through all the schools in the area?

JJsMom, my DD came out of her screening and said it was "silly". They asked her shapes, colors, and numbers 1-10. Sigh. Their screening is to weed out the kids not ready for K, not to see what the kids can really do.

Nikita, good luck with your meeting!

Last edited by sdrothco; 07/29/09 09:42 AM.
    Half-day and afterschooling is often a really good solution for young GT kids, sdrothco. It's often a lot like pre-K: still more play-based than heavily academic, and that can be a good fit for HG+ kids. Plus full-day classes can be a lot for a 5yo to handle: more sitting, more overstimulation, less time to read or think or be alone (especially for the introverts), etc. I wouldn't worry too much yet.

My DS8 enjoyed his half-day K class with a good teacher who "got him" and time to himself. Full-day first grade--the "learn to read" year around here--with a not-good teacher for GT kids was a disaster. Bad! Very bad!

All kids are different, of course, but I have hope that K will go okay for you. smile

Kriston
    I would like to join in too. Our situation is different though. DS5 will start "K" but we are homeschooling. His older brother is hs and we decided to keep DS5 (HG+) at home as well. He will attend a small private school 2 afternoons/week mostly for social reasons and to give me a break wink

DS5 reads years ahead. He is advanced in math but not at the level his DYS brother was at his age. He loves social studies. We will do K handwriting curriculum but that's about it for K unless you count learning to tie his shoes wink

My biggest challenge will be homeschooling two children instead of one and teaching a child who has a very different personality than his older rules obeying brother.

Good luck to everyone

LMom
    E
    E
    What a great idea!

JJsMom, thank you so much for starting this thread!!!

I am very worried about K for my DS5. (I have posted a bit on this before elsewhere) But I feel a lot better reading that other parents of Kers also have concerns. It is very nice to have the company.

We don't start till the last week of August.
    DS was at a Montessori for 2.5 years that he enjoyed.
    my concerns:
    - PS K is such a short day, 3 hours. how do they have time to really get into an activity? I am hoping it won't be a waste of time since he will know most of what they are teaching already. The other reason I am concerned about the short day is that he is used to having more to do. Since I work full time I am worried about him being in a lame afterschool program for the bulk of his day. He's been in good (nurturing, self-directed, mixed age) full day preschools since he was 2.
    - haven't tested so don't know LOG, but I am guessing MG. That could work in our favor IF we get a teacher that is a good fit.
    OR
    - he could wind up as the bored, class clown.
    eek (we went on a tour at a preschool where he and the teacher were immediately butting heads)
    - we are on the waiting list for a smaller charter school that has a more flexible (hopefully) approach than the traditional PS. DOn't know if we'll get in or if that will even be a good fit.

I am having a hard time waiting to know about placement etc. ... We might not know until school starts. crazy

Last edited by EastnWest; 07/29/09 11:00 AM. Reason: clarification
    And you know I'm reading your posts with interest, LMom, since we might end up homeschooling two kids, too, with many of the same personality issues you have... eek

Kriston
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    EastNWest - I have the same concerns about PS K with DS5. He will be going all day, but if he's too bored, watch out!

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    PS. I love that we have many different levels going on here (HS, PS, Private, etc...). smile

Page 2 of 76 1 2 3 4 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM